I (Mao Yang, 杨懋) received my Ph.D degree in computer science from Beijing University, China, in 2006, before received the B.S., M.S. in computer science from Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, in 2000, and 2002. Since 2006, I has been with Microsoft Research Asia, Beijing, as a Researcher in the System Research Group.
My research interests are in distributed system, information retrieval system, and multimedia system, especially for design, implement and deploy practical systems.
I am also an architect, and worked on the following projects at Microsoft BING team:
- The design and implementation of Cougar, a new ranking system for supporting the-state-of-art semantic ranking models. The system starts to serve all web queries from 2013.
- The design and implementation of Tiger, a new generation flash memory based index serving platform, and the system starts to serve all web queries from 2012.
- The design and implementation of replication and fail over protocol of Kirin, a new web store and processing system, and the system starts to process many billions of web data from 2010.
My current focus are on the new generation search engine for universal data across the internet and new class of relevance algorithms.
My research interests are:
- TLA Made Live: a formal method to build distributed systems.
and protocols for distributed systems:
- The design and implementation of a large scale distributed storage system prototype PacificA with Wei Lin, Lintao Zhang and Lidong Zhou.
- Reconfiguration protocol for a paxos based replication state machine library.
Before join Microsoft, My major works are:
- Maze with Hua Chen (陈华) - The biggest P2P file sharing system in CERNET.
- Real time DV25/h.264 decoders in ADI Blackfin chips.
- An efficient compression algorithm for face images.
- Microsoft Research Asia, Building 2, No. 5 Danling Street, Haidian District, Beijing, P.R. China 100080
- Phone: +86-10-59173470
- Email: email@example.com
- Zhenyu Guo, Cheng Chen, Haoxiang Lin, Sean McDirmid, Fan Yang, Xueying Guo, Mao Yang, and Lidong Zhou, Arming Cloud Services with Task Aspects, no. MSR-TR-2014-150, 26 November 2014
- Zhenyu Guo, Chuntao Hong, Mao Yang, Lidong Zhou, Li Zhuang, and Dong Zhou, Rex: Replication at the Speed of Multi-core, in EuroSys '14: Proceedings of the Ninth European Conference on Computer Systems, EuroSys, 2014
- Zhenyu Guo, Sean McDirmid, Mao Yang, Li Zhuang, Pu Zhang, Yingwei Luo, Tom Bergan, Peter Bodik, Madan Musuvathi, Zheng Zhang, and Lidong Zhou, Failure Recovery: When the Cure Is Worse Than the Disease, in HotOS, USENIX, 13 May 2013
- Chuntao Hong, Mao Yang, Lidong Zhou, Lintao Zhang, Dong Zhou, and Chia-pao Kuo, KuaFu: Closing the Parallelism Gap in Database Replication, in Proceedings of the 29th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering, International Conference on Data Engineering, 2013
- Zhenyu Guo, Chuntao Hong, Mao Yang, Dong Zhou, Lidong Zhou, and Li Zhuang, Paxos Made Parallel, no. MSR-TR-2012-118, 29 November 2012
- Zhenyu Guo, Dong Zhou, Haoxiang Lin, Mao Yang, Fan Long, Chaoqiang Deng, Changshu Liu, and Lidong Zhou, G2: A Graph Processing System for Diagnosing Distributed Systems, in Proceedings of the 2011 USENIX Annual Technical Conference (USENIX ATC '11), USENIX, 15 June 2011
- Bingshen He, Mao Yang, Zhenyu Guo, Rishan Chen, Bing Su, Wei Lin, and Lidong Zhou, Comet: Batched Stream Processing for Data Intensive Distributed Computing, in ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing 2010, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 19 May 2010
- Rishan Chen, Xuetian Weng, Bingsheng He, Mao Yang, Byron Choi, and Xiaoming Li, On the Efficiency and Programmability of Large Graph Processing in the Cloud, no. MSR-TR-2010-44, 4 May 2010
- Bingsheng He, Mao Yang, Zhenyu Guo, Rishan Chen, Bing Su, Wei Lin, and Lidong Zhou, Comet: Batched Stream Processing in Data Intensive Distributed Computing, no. MSR-TR-2009-180, December 2009
- Junfeng Yang, Tisheng Chen, Ming Wu, Zhilei Xu, Xuezheng Liu, Haoxiang Lin, Mao Yang, Fan Long, Lintao Zhang, and Lidong Zhou, MODIST: Transparent Model Checking of Unmodified Distributed Systems, in Proceedings of the 6th Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI '09), USENIX, 22 April 2009
- Bingsheng He, Mao Yang, Zhenyu Guo, Rishan Chen, Wei Lin, Bing Su, Hongyi Wang, and Lidong Zhou, Wave Computing in the Cloud, in HotOS, USENIX, April 2009
- Wei Lin, Mao Yang, Lintao Zhang, and Lidong Zhou, PacificA: Replication in Log-Based Distributed Storage Systems, no. MSR-TR-2008-25, February 2008
- Qiao Lian, Zheng Zhang, Mao Yang, Ben Y. Zhao, Yafei Dai, and Xiaoming Li, An Empirical Study of Collusion Behavior in the Maze P2P File-Sharing System, IEEE Computer Society, June 2007
- Mao Yang, Qinyuan Feng, Yafei Dai, and Zheng Zhang, A Multi-dimensional Reputation System Combined with Trust and Incentive Mechanisms in P2P File Sharing Systems, IEEE Computer Society, June 2007
- Qiao Lian, Peng Yu, Mao Yang, Zheng Zhang, Yafei Dai, and Xiaoming Li, Robust Incentives via Multi-level Tit-for-tat, February 2006
- Mao Yang, Zhengyou Zhang, Xiaoming Li, and Yafei Dai, An Empirical Study of Free-Riding Behavior in the Maze P2P File-Sharing System, February 2005
- Mao Yang, Hua Chen, Ben Y. Zhao, Yafei Dai, and Zhengyou Zhang, Deployment of a Large-scale Peer-to-Peer Social Network, USENIX, December 2004