I work as a Software Design Engineer in the DMX group.
- As a member of the SQLVM team (http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/sqlvm/), designed and implemented the SQL Azure I/O resource governor mechanism in the database kernel. Some of the interesting challenges the code had to deal with were - a new I/O scheduling mechanism aligned with the SQL OS scheduler, scaling to thousands of database tenants on one node and accommodating more than one, possibly heterogeneous throughput capacity storage media.
- Implemented mechanisms for a multi-tenant, shared buffer pool governance in SQL Engine . This involved adapting novel algorithms to modify storage engine’s traditional page replacement policy (LRU-K based) to different SLA aware replacement policies.
- I own the dev side of tuning engine backend of SQL Server Database Tuning Advisor that has shipped in multiple releases since 2005 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173494.aspx ). DTA analyzes a representative workload consisting of queries and updates that run against the database engine and recommend appropriate changes to physical design for the workload. Recent work include tuning workload from the engine query plan cache, recommending compressed indexes , filtered indexes and extending existing index selection algorithms to exploit multiple processors.
- I have worked on workload driven index defragmentation in the database engine. We developed low overhead techniques to identify and defragment a logical range rather than the whole physical B-Tree based on the workload, making the index reorganize/rebuild operation amenable to online and zero admin settings.
- In the past I have worked on developing a framework for dynamic profiling and static analysis of database centric applications.We adapted profiling techniques and traditional program analysis (using extensible compiler framework Microsoft Phoenix) by leveraging understanding of call level data access APIs.
- Sudipto Das, Vivek Narasayya, Feng Li, and Manoj Syamala, CPU Sharing Techniques for Performance Isolation in Multi-tenant Relational Database-as-a-Service, in Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, Very Large Data Bases Endowment Inc., September 2013.
- Vivek Narasayya, Sudipto Das, Manoj Syamala, Surajit Chaudhuri, Feng Li, and Hyunjung Park, A Demonstration of SQLVM: Performance Isolation in Multi-Tenant Relational Database-as-a-Service, in SIGMOD 2013, ACM International Conference on Management of Data, June 2013.
- Tao Cheng, Kaushik Chakrabarti, Surajit Chaudhuri, Vivek Narasayya, and Manoj Syamala, Data Services for E-tailers Leveraging Web Search Engine Assets, in ICDE Conference, April 2013.
- Vivek Narasayya, Sudipto Das, Manoj Syamala, Badrish Chandramouli, and Surajit Chaudhuri, SQLVM: Performance Isolation in Multi-Tenant Relational Database-as-a-Service, in CIDR 2013, 6th Biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research, January 2013.
- Nicolas Bruno, Surajit Chaudhuri, Arnd Christian König, Vivek Narasayya, Ravi Ramamurthy, and Manoj Syamala, AutoAdmin Project at Microsoft Research: Lessons Learned, in Bulletin of the IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Data Engineering, IEEE Computer Society, December 2011.
- Vivek Narasayya and Manoj Syamala, Workload Driven Index Defragmentation, in International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), IEEE, 1 March 2010.
- Arjun Dasgupta, Vivek Narasayya, and Manoj Syamala, A Static Analysis Framework for Database Applications, in International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), IEEE, April 2009.
- Surajit Chaudhuri, Vivek Narasayya, and Manoj Syamala, Bridging the Application and DBMS Profiling Divide for Database Application Developers, in VLDB, Very Large Data Bases Endowment Inc., September 2007.
- Sanjay Agrawal, Surajit Chaudhuri, Lubor Kollar, Arun Marathe, Vivek Narasayya, and Manoj Syamala, Database Tuning Advisor for Microsoft SQL Server 2005, in VLDB, Very Large Data Bases Endowment Inc., August 2004.