Jacob Lorch's Personal Information
- Ph.D. in Computer Science at UC Berkeley, 2001
- M.S. in Computer Science at UC Berkeley, 1995
- B.S. in Computer Science at Michigan State University, 1992
- B.S. in Mathematics at Michigan State University, 1992
- Games. My current favorites are Dominion, Notre Dame, Tichu, Puerto Rico, and Tigris & Euphrates.
- Puzzles. I regularly participate in P&A Magazine, Puzzled Pint, Microsoft Puzzle Hunt, Microsoft Puzzle Safari, MIT Mystery Hunt, Shinteki, DASH, and SNAP. I've helped run one Microsoft Puzzle Hunt, several Intern PuzzleDays, and a couple of College Puzzle Challenges. Some puzzles I've written are available online: the August 2013 Puzzled Pint, Script Rewrite (solution), Threading the Reel (solution), and Pandemic Illiteracy (solution).
- Hacking. To motivate myself to learn Perl, I planned to use the knowledge to make the Shortest Perl RSA Implementation even shorter. I succeeded, but only after discovering that the task was more about hacking dc than Perl.