I am now managing the Wireless and Networking Group at MSR Asia. I am recently working in datacenter networking. In the past, I have been working in various areas in the networking field. Previously, I designed the Compound TCP protocol, which is in latest Windows Operating Systems. I also led the development of Sora, a high-speed software radio platform based on general purpose multi-core processor. I have broad interests in networking, data communication and wireless technologies. You can find a short bio of me here.
Wireless and Networking Group is HIRING! We have openings for Researcher positions and Engineers. If you are passionate in networking technology, please apply by sending me your CV!
We also have research intern opens. If you are a self-motivated student and want to work on wireless networking research, please also contact me via email.
- Qing Yang, Xiaoxiao Li, Hongyi Yao, Ji Fang, Kun Tan, Wenjun Hu, Jiansong Zhang, and Yongguang Zhang, BigStation: Enabling Scalable Real-time Signal Processing in Large MU-MIMO Systems, in ACM SIGCOMM, ACM, August 2013.
- Kun Tan, Haichen Shen, Jiansong Zhang, and Yongguang Zhang, Enable Flexible Spectrum Access with Spectrum Virtualization, in IEEE DySpan , IEEE, October 2012.
- Jiansong Zhang, Haichen Shen, Kun Tan, Ranveer Chandra, Yongguang Zhang, and Qian Zhang, Frame Retransmissions Considered Harmful: Improving Spectrum Efficiency Using Micro-ACKS, in ACM MobiCom, ACM, August 2012.
- Zheng Zeng, Yan Gao, Kun Tan, and P. R. Kumar, CHAIN: Introducing Minimum Controlled Coordination into Random Access MAC, in The 30th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2011), IEEE, April 2011.
- Kun Tan, He Liu, Jiansong Zhang, Yongguang Zhang, Ji Fang, and Geoffrey M. Voelker, Sora: high-performance software radio using general-purpose multi-core processors, in Communications of the ACM , ACM, January 2011.
- Kun Tan, Ji Fang, Yuanyang Zhang, Shouyuan Chen, Lixin Shi, Jiansong Zhang, and Yongguang Zhang, Fine Grained Channel Access in Wireless LAN, in ACM SIGCOMM 2010, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., August 2010.
- Kun Tan, He Liu, Ji Fang, Wei Wang, Jiansong Zhang, Mi Chen, and Geoffrey M. Voelker, SAM: Enabling Practical Spatial Multiple Access in Wireless LAN, in The 15th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (ACM Mobicom2009), Beijing, China, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., September 2009.
- Kun Tan, Jiansong Zhang, Ji Fang, He Liu, Yusheng Ye, Shen Wang, Yongguang Zhang, Haitao Wu, Wei Wang, and Geoffrey M. Voelker, Sora: High Performance Software Radio Using General Purpose Multi-core Processors (Best Paper Award), in 6th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design & Implementation (NSDI) 2009 , USENIX, April 2009.
- Chuanxiong Guo, Haitao Wu, Kun Tan, Lei Shi, Yongguang Zhang, and Songwu Lu, DCell: A Scalable and Fault-Tolerant Network Structure for Data Centers, in SIGCOMM08, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., August 2008.
- Chunyi Peng, Guobin Shen, Yongguang Zhang, Yanlin Li, and Kun Tan, BeepBeep: A High Accuracy Acoustic Ranging System using COTS Mobile Devices, in SenSys 07, 2007.
- Kun Tan, Jingmin Song, Qian Zhang, and Murari Sridharan, A Compound TCP Approach for High-speed and Long Distance Networks, in INFOCOM 06, IEEE, 2006.
Email: kuntan (at) microsoft (dot) com
Phone: +86-10-59173120 (Office)
- ClickNP is accepted in SIGCOMM'16! Congrates to the team!
- FUSO is accepted in ATC'16! Congrates to the team!
- Sora is fully open in GigHub
- BigStation paper is accepted in SIGCOMM 2013! Congrates to the team!
- Sora SDK version 2.0 is available!
- Sora tutorial available in DySPAN 2012. Register early if you are interested.
- Spectrum Virtualization Layer paper is accetped in DySpan 2012
Recent external activities
TPC member, ACM SIGCOMM 2011,2013~2015
TPC member, ACM HotNets, 2015
TPC co-chair, SIRF 2013, joint workshop with SIGCOMM 2013
- TPC member, ACM Mobicom 2009~2013
- TPC Lead, IEEE SECON 2013
- TPC member, USENIX NSDI 2012
- TPC member, IEEE SECON 2011
- TPC member, IEEE DySPAN 2011, 2012
- TPC member, ACM Mobihoc 2009, 2010
- TPC member, WoWMoM 2010
- Publicity co-chair, IEEE SECON 2010
- TPC co-chair, MobiArch '09
- Sora: high performance software radio platform using general purpose multi-core processor.
- Fast handoff of IEEE 802.11 WLAN
- Dichotomy: a practical architecture to exploit channel diversity
- Multichannel Overlay MAC
- SNR-Guided Rate Adaptation
- Compound TCP