Kristin M. Tolle, Ph.D.
Dr. Kristin M. Tolle is a Director in the Microsoft Research Connections Team and has been working in Microsoft Research since 2006 where she started the Health and Wellbeing Initiative. Since joining Microsoft, Dr. Tolle has applied for dozens of patents and worked in multiple product teams including the Natural Language Group, Visual Studio, and Excel. In 2009, she co-edited The Fourth Paradigm, a book that collates visionary essays on the emerging field of data-intensive science and she presently is the chief editor for the SciLogs blog: The Fourth Paradigm. Her Research Connections activities include machine translation and language preservation, 2D and 3D data/image capture and visualization, human-centric computing (HCC), devices, sensors and mobility as technologies for the enablement of ubiquitous computing.
Prior to joining Microsoft, Dr. Tolle was an Oak Ridge Science and Engineering Research Fellow for the National Library of Medicine and a Research Associate at the University of Arizona Artificial Intelligence Lab managing the group on medical information retrieval and natural language processing. She earned her Ph.D. and Masters in Management of Information Systems with a minor in Computational Linguistics. She also has a Bachelors of Science in Computer Information Systems. Her research interests include, natural language processing, automatic ontology capture, data mining, data visualization, sensors, data curation and management--in particular for the long tail of science. Many of her publications focus on the application of these technologies to improving global public health.
- DataUp: Project Director and Development Manager to create a data curation tool to enable environmental scientists to preserve and share their datasets (largely in Microsoft Excel®) with the broader community.
- Microsoft Translator Hub: Product and Program Director to create a tool to enable the creation of custom translation models for businesses and language communities.
- Environmental Science Services Initiative: Development Director of this project for creating a common, easy-to-use infrastructure and user experience that gives ready access to existing and new Microsoft Research tools targeted at climate change and environmental science.
- Cultural Preservation Initiative: Primary member of this group focused on language preservation.
- Devices Sensors and Mobility for Healthcare: Founder and Program Director for this program founded in 2006 to seed the development of over 25 mHealth projects and culminated in starting an annual mHealth Summit run by the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health.
- Computational Challenges in Genome Wide Association Studies: Program Manager for this program designed to further computer science research in support of furthering scientific discoveries in GWAS.
- Yang Song, Hongning Wang, and Xiaodong He, Adapting Deep RankNet for Personalized Search, in WSDM 2014, ACM, February 2014
- Michael Gamon, Tae Yano, Xinying Song, Johnson Apacible, and Patrick Pantel, Identifying Salient Entities in Web Pages, ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM), 1 November 2013
- S. M. Ali Eslami, Nicolas Heess, Christopher K. I. Williams, and John Winn, The Shape Boltzmann Machine: A Strong Model of Object Shape, in International Journal of Computer Vision, Springer, November 2013
- Sai Sumanth Miryala, Ranjita Bhagwan, Monojit Choudhury, and Kalika Bali, Automatically Identifying Vocal Expressions for Music Transcription, in 2013 International Society of Music Information Retrieval, November 2013
- Allison Chaney, Mike Gartrell, Jake Hofman, John Guiver, Noam Koenigstein, Pushmeet Kohli, and Ulrich Paquet, Mining Large-scale TV Group Viewing Patterns for Group Recommendation, no. MSR-TR-2013-114, November 2013
Microsoft Research Faculty Summit 2012, 15th - 18th of July, Redmond WA: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/events/fs2012/default.aspx
Microsoft Research eScience Workshop and IEEE eScience Conference, 8th -12th, October, 2012, Chicago, IL: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/events/escience2012/
American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting, 3rd - 7th December, 2012, San Francisco, CA: http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2012/
8th International Digital Curation Conference, 14th - 16th January, 2013, Amsterdam, NL: http://www.dcc.ac.uk/events/idcc13
Microsoft Research Machine Learning Summit, 23rd - 24th April, 2013, Paris, France
Microsoft Research Connections Earth, Energy and Environment Homepage: http://research.microsoft.com/eee
Curriculum Vitae: /en-us/people/ktolle/2012_november_ktolle_cv.doc
Recent Headshot: /en-us/people/ktolle/kristintolle_headshot_fall2010.jpg