Dr. Tolle's present research interests include global public health as related to climate change, mobile computing to enable field scientists and inform the public, sensors used to gather ecological and environmental data, and integration and interoperability of large heterogeneous environmental data sources. She collaborates with several major research groups in Microsoft Research including eScience, computational science laboratory, computational ecology and environmental science, and the sensing and energy research group.
- Environmental Science Services Initiative: Development Director of this project for creating a common, easy-to-use infrastructure and user experience that gives ready access to existing and new Microsoft Research tools targeted at climate change and environmental science.
- National Flood Interoperability Experiment: Working with researchers at several major institutions as well as government agencies who provide much of the data to develop a real-time flood mapping system to improve better National disaster response.
- DataUp: Project Director and Development Manager to create a data curation tool to enable environmental scientists to preserve and share their datasets (largely in Microsoft Excel) with the broader community.
- Microsoft Translator Hub: Product and Program Director to create a tool to enable the creation of custom translation models for businesses and language communities.
- Cultural Preservation Initiative: Primary member of this group focused on language preservation.
- Devices Sensors and Mobility for Healthcare: Founder and Program Director for this program founded in 2006 to seed the development of over 25 mHealth projects and culminated in starting an annual mHealth Summit run by the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health.
- Computational Challenges in Genome Wide Association Studies: Program Manager for this program designed to further computer science research in support of furthering scientific discoveries in GWAS.
- Yanjie Fu, Yong Ge, Yu Zheng, Yao, Yanchi Liu, Hui Xiong, and Nicholas Jing Yuan, Sparse Real Estate Ranking with Online User Reviews and Offline Moving Behaviors, in ICDM 2014, IEEE – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, December 2015.
- Yu Zheng, Trajectory Data Mining: An Overview, in ACM Transaction on Intelligent Systems and Technology, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, September 2015.
- Rui Ding, Qiang Wang, Yingnong Dang, Qiang Fu, Haidong Zhang, and Dongmei Zhang, YADING: Fast Clustering of Large-Scale Time Series Data, VLDB – Very Large Data Bases, September 2015.
- Mohan Yang, bolin ding, surajit chaudhuri, and kaushik chakrabarti, Finding Patterns in a Knowledge Base using Keywords to Compose Table Answers, VLDB – Very Large Data Bases, August 2015.
- Yu Zheng, Xiuwen Yi, Ming Li, Ruiyuan Li, Zhangqing Shan, Eric Chang, and Tianrui Li, Forecasting Fine-Grained Air Quality Based on Big Data, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, August 2015.