Research Manager, Cryptography group
Kristin Lauter is a Principal Researcher and Research Manager for the Cryptography group at Microsoft Research. She directs the group's research activities in theoretical and applied cryptography and in the related math fields of number theory and algebraic geometry. Her personal research interests include algorithmic number theory, elliptic curve, pairing-based, and lattice-based cryptography, homomorphic encryption, and cloud security and privacy, including privacy for healthcare.
Lauter is currently serving as President-Elect of the Association for Women in Mathematics, and on the Council of the American Mathematical Society. She is on the Editorial Board for the Journal of Mathematical Cryptology, Journal of Algebra and Its Applications, and International Journal of Information and Coding Theory. She was a co-founder of the Women In Numbers Network, a research collaboration community for women in number theory, and she serves on the Scientific Advisory Board for BIRS, the Banff International Research Station. Lauter is also an Affiliate Professor in the Department of Mathematics at the University of Washington. She received her BA, MS, and PhD, all in mathematics, from the University of Chicago, in 1990, 1991, and 1996, respectively. She was T.H. Hildebrandt Assistant Professor of Mathematics at the University of Michigan (1996-1999), and a Visiting Scholar at Max Planck Institut fur Mathematik in Bonn, Germany (1997), and at Institut de Mathematiques Luminy in France (1999). In 2008, Lauter, together with her coauthors, was awarded the Selfridge Prize in Computational Number Theory.
- First Woman Ever Wins Math's 'Nobel Prize'
- A Cipher for Your Genome
- How to Hide Your Genome
- Microsoft Research’s Lauter Named Next AWM President
- Alice and Bob in Cipherspace
- Top Researchers Inspire Interns
- A Cloud That Can't Leak
- Security in the Cloud
- Video: Searchable Encryption
- Researchers Are Working on Ways to Make Encrypted Data Easier to Find
- Craig Costello, Alyson Deines-Schartz, Kristin Lauter, and Tonghai Yang, Constructing Abelian Surfaces for Cryptography via Rosenhain Invariants, no. MSR-TR-2014-78, 3 June 2014
- Kristin Lauter, Adriana Lopez-Alt, and Michael Naehrig, Private Computation on Encrypted Genomic Data, no. MSR-TR-2014-93, June 2014
- Joppe W. Bos, Kristin Lauter, Jake Loftus, and Michael Naehrig, Improved Security for a Ring-Based Fully Homomorphic Encryption Scheme, in International Conference On Cryptography and Coding, Springer Verlag, December 2013
- Joppe W. Bos, Kristin Lauter, and Michael Naehrig, Private Predictive Analysis on Encrypted Medical Data, no. MSR-TR-2013-81, September 2013
- Joppe W. Bos, Craig Costello, Huseyin Hisil, and Kristin Lauter, High-Performance Scalar Multiplication using 8-Dimensional GLV/GLS Decomposition, in Workshop on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems - CHES 2013, Springer, August 2013