Dr Kenji Takeda is Solutions Architect and Technical Manager for the Microsoft Research Connections EMEA team.
He has extensive experience in Cloud Computing, High Performance and High Productivity Computing, Data-intensive Science, Scientific Workflows, Scholarly Communication, Engineering and Educational Outreach. He has a passion for developing novel computational approaches to tackle fundamental and applied problems in science and engineering.
He was previously Co-Director of the Microsoft Institute for High Performance Computing, and Senior Lecturer in Aeronautics, at the University of Southampton, UK. There he worked with leading high value manufacturing companies such as Airbus, AgustaWestland, BAE Systems, Rolls-Royce and Formula One teams, to develop state-of-the-art capability for improving science and engineering processes. He also worked in the areas of aerodynamics, aeroacoustics and flight simulation.
Kenji is a visiting senior lecturer at the University of Southampton.
He has been recipient of the following awards:
- Royal Aeronautical Society Silver Award (2009)
- Royal Academy of Engineering/ExxonMobil Gold Medal for Excellence in Engineering Teaching (2007)
- Royal Academy of Engineering Education Innovation prize (2006).
- Don Syme, Kenji Takeda, Keith Battocchi, Donna Malayeri, and Tomas Petricek, Themes in Information-Rich Functional Programming for Internet-Scale Data Sources, ACM, 24 January 2013
- Lucas N Joppa, Greg McInerny, Richard Harper, Lara Salido, Kenji Takeda, Kenton O'Hara, David Gavaghan, and Stephen Emmott, Troubling Trends in Scientific Software Use, in Science, vol. 340, no. 6134, pp. 814–815, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2013
- Kenji Takeda, Graeme Earl, Jeremy Frey, Simon Keay, and Alex Wade, Enhancing research publications using Rich Interactive Narratives, in Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A , The Royal Society, 10 December 2012
- Don Syme, Keith Battocchi, Kenji Takeda, Donna Malayeri, Jomo Fisher, Jack Hu, Tao Liu, Brian McNamara, Daniel Quirk, Matteo Taveggia, Wonseok Chae, Uladzimir Matsveyeu, and Tomas Petricek, F#3.0 - Strongly-Typed Language Support for Internet-Scale Information Sources, no. MSR-TR-2012-101, 21 September 2012
- Richard Boardman, Ian Sinclair, Simon Cox, Philippa Reed, Kenji Takeda, Jeremy Frey, and Graeme Earl, Storage and sharing of large 3D imaging datasets, in TMS 1st International Conference on 3D Materials Science 2012 (3DMS), , July 2012
- Benjamin Schumann, James P. Scanlan, and Kenji Takeda, A generic operational simulation for early design civil unmanned aerial vehicles, in The Third International Conference on Advances in System Simulation, Barcelona, Spain, 23 - 28 Oct 2011, October 2011
- Kenji Takeda, Graeme Earl, Jeremy G. Frey, Simon Keay, and Alex Wade, Enhancing Research Publication using Rich Interactive Narratives, September 2011
- Steven Johnston, Simon Cox, and Kenji Takeda, Scientific Computation and Data Management Using Microsoft Windows Azure, in Grid and Cloud Database Management, Springer, 28 July 2011
- G. Jasion, J. Shrimpton, M. Danby, and K. Takeda, Performance of numerical integrators on tangential motion of DEM within implicit flow solvers, in Computers & Chemical Engineering, Elsevier, 9 March 2011
- B. Schumann, J. P. Scanlan, and K. Takeda, Evaluating design decisions in real-time using operations modelling, in 2nd International Air Transport and Operations Symposium, Delft, NL, 28 - 29 Mar 2011. , March 2011
- Y. Kuya, K. Takeda, X. Zhang, and A. I. J. Forrester, Multifidelity surrogate modeling of experimental and computational aerodynamic data sets, in AIAA Journal, American Institute for Aeronautics & Astronautics, 2011
- K. Takeda, M. Brown, S. J. Coles, L. Carr, G. P. Earl, J. G. Frey, P. J. Hancock, W. White, F. Nichols, M. Whitton, H. Gibbs, C. Fowler, P. Wake, and S. Patterson, Data management for all: the Institutional Data Management Blueprint Project, in 6th International Digital Curation Conference, Chicago, US, December 2010
- K. J. van Mierlo, K. Takeda, and E. Peers, Computational analysis of the effect of bogie inclination angle on landing gear noise, in Proceedings of the 16th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference. 16th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference , American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2010
- M. J. Fairman, A. R. Price, G. Xue, M. Molinari, D. A. Nicole, T. M. Lenton, R. Marsh, K. Takeda, and S. J. Cox, Earth system modelling with Windows Workflow Foundation, in Future Generation Computer Systems, Elsevier, 9 July 2008
- Video: Kenji Takeda at the TERENA Networking Conference
- Initiative Celebrates Industry-Academia Collaboration
- Try F#—Data Console to Big and Broad Data
- Try Try F#
- Mapping Endangered Species
- Adventures in Collaboration
- Video: Shahram Izadi - Microsoft Next 2012
- Parallel Processing Software Gets a Boost in Barcelona
- Creating Better Software for Next-Generation Computer Architectures
- Top Students Descend on Microsoft Research Cambridge