address: Microsoft Research, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052
ph: 425-707-6931, fax: 425-936-7329
email: kansal (at) microsoft com
Research Areas: Cloud Computing, Energy Efficient Computing, Virtualization, Mobile Computing, Wireless Systems, Internet-scale Sensor Networks, Server Engineering, Flash Storage, Computer Networks.
- Li Zhao, Jacob Brouwer, Sean James, Eric Peterson, John Siegler, Aman Kansal, and Jie Liu, Servers Powered By a 10kW In-rack Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell System, in Proceedings of the ASME 2014 8th International Conference on Energy Sustainability & 12th Fuel Cell Science, Engineering and Technology Conference, ASME, 29 June 2014.
- Yixin Luo, Sriram Govindan, Bikash Sharma, Mark Santaniello, Justin Meza, Aman Kansal, Jie Liu, Badriddine Khessib, Kushagra Vaid, and Onur Mutlu, Characterizing Application Memory Error Vulnerability to Optimize Datacenter Cost via Heterogeneous-Reliability Memory, in The 44th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2014), IEEE, 23 June 2014.
- Iyswarya Narayanan, Aman Kansal, Anand Sivasubramaniam, Bhuvan Urgaonkar, and Sriram Govindan, Towards a Leaner Geo-distributed Cloud Infrastructure, in 6th USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Cloud Computing (HotCloud 2014), USENIX HotCloud, 17 June 2014.
- Li Zhao, Jacob Brouwer, Jie Liu, Sean James, John Siegler, Aman Kansal, and Eric Peterson, Fuel Cells for Data Centers: Power Generation Inches From the Server, no. MSR-TR-2014-37, March 2014.
- Di Wang, Sriram Govindan, Anand Sivasubramaniam, Aman Kansal, Jie Liu, and Badriddine Khessib, Underprovisioning Backup Power Infrastructure for Datacenters, in 19th International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems (ASPLOS), ACM, 1 March 2014.
- Hon Chu, Vijay Raman, Jeffrey Shen, Aman Kansal, Victor Bahl, and Romit Roy Choudhury, I am a Smartphone and I Know My User is Driving, in 6th International Conference on Communication Systems and Networks (COMSNETS), Other, 7 January 2014.
- Ana Carolina Riekstin, Sean James, Aman Kansal, Jie Liu, and Eric Peterson, No More Electrical Infrastructure: Towards Fuel Cell Powered Data Centers, in 2013 Workshop on Power-Aware Computing and Systems , ACM, November 2013.
- Aman Kansal, Scott Saponas, AJ Brush, Kathryn McKinley, Todd Mytkowicz, and Ryder Ziola, The Latency, Accuracy, and Battery (LAB) Abstraction: Programmer Productivity and Energy Efficiency for Continuous Mobile Context Sensing, in OOPSLA, ACM, 31 October 2013.
- Di Wang, Chuangang Ren, Sriram Govindan, Anand Sivasubramaniam, Bhuvan Urgaonkar, Aman Kansal, and Kushagra Vaid, ACE: Abstracting, Characterizing and Exploiting Datacenter Power Demands, in IEEE International Symposium on Workload Characterization (IISWC) BEST PAPER, IEEE, 22 September 2013.
- Sriram Sankar, Aman Kansal, and Jie Liu, Towards a Holistic Data Center Simulator, in ASCR Workshop on Modeling & Simulation of Exascale Systems & Applications (MODSIM), Other, 18 September 2013.
- Alan Roytman, Aman Kansal, Sriram Govindan, Jie Liu, and Suman Nath, PACMan: Performance Aware Virtual Machine Consolidation, in 10th International Conference on Autonomic Computing (ICAC), USENIX, 26 June 2013.
- Di Wang, Chuangang Ren, Sriram Govindan, Anand Sivasubramaniam, Bhuvan Urgaonkar, Aman Kansal, and Kushagra Vaid, ACE: Abstracting, Characterizing and Exploiting Peaks and Valleys in Datacenter Power Consumption, in ACM SIGMETRICS (Posters), ACM, 17 June 2013.
- Aman Kansal, Bhuvan Urgaonkar, and Sriram Govindan, Using Dark Fiber to Replace Diesel Generators, in XIV Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems (HotOS), USENIX, 13 May 2013.
- Alan Roytman, Aman Kansal, Sriram Govindan, Jie Liu, and Suman Nath, Algorithm Design for Performance Aware VM Consolidation, no. MSR-TR-2013-28, 4 March 2013.
- Aman Kansal, Building a More Efficient Data Center - from Servers to Software, Microsoft Research, 1 February 2013.
- Christina Delimitrou, Sriram Sankar, Aman Kansal, and Christos Kozyrakis, ECHO: Recreating Network Traffic Maps for Datacenters with Tens of Thousands of Servers, in IEEE International Symposium on Workload Characterization , IEEE, 4 November 2012.
- Xuan Bao, Aman Kansal, Paramvir Bahl, David Chu, Romit Roy Choudhury, and Alec Wolman, Helping Mobile Apps Bootstrap with Fewer Users, in The 14th International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing (Ubicomp 2012), ACM, 8 September 2012.
- Moo-Ryong Ra, Bodhi Priyantha, Aman Kansal, and Jie Liu, Improving Energy Efficiency of Personal Sensing Applications with Heterogeneous Multi-Processors, in The 14th International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing (Ubicomp 2012), ACM, 5 September 2012.
- Radhika Mittal, Aman Kansal, and Ranveer Chandra, Empowering Developers to Estimate App Energy Consumption, in ACM Mobicom, ACM, 26 August 2012.
- Alex Susu, Aman Kansal, and Feng Zhao, Application-Level Speculative Processor Power Management , no. MSR-TR-2012-91, 23 August 2012.
|Alan Roytman (UCLA)||Virtual Machine Consolidation [ICAC 2013]|
Andreas Krause (CMU), now faculty at CalTech
|Community Sensing [IPSN 2008]|
|Arka Bhattacharya (IIT Kharagpur), (UC Berkeley)||
Virtual Machine Energy Metering [SOCC 2010],
Data center power budgeting with performance control [IGCC 2012]
|Arsalan Tavakoli (Berkeley)||Online Sensing Task Optimization [IPSN 2010]|
|Christina Delimitrou (Stanford), co-mentored with Kushagra Vaid and Sriram Sankar||
Storage Workload Modeling and Consolidation,
Data Center Network Workload Modeling [IISWC 2012]
|Di Wang (Penn State)||Data center power characterization [Sigmetrics 2013] [IISWC 2013 Best Paper]|
|Harold Lim (Duke)||Power Budgeting for Virtualized Data Centers [USENIX 2011]|
|Jihoon Ryoo (Korea University)||Mobile Context Sensing|
|Kaisen Lin (UCSD)||Energy-Accuracy Aware Mobile Location [Mobisys 2010]|
|Leonardo Oliviera (Unicamp)||Secure Tiny Web Services [IPSN 2009]|
|Moo-Ryong Ra (USC), co mentored with Bodhi Priyantha||Multi-processor sensing [Ubicomp 2012]|
|Nupur Kothari (USC)||Fine-grained Power Modelling [SOCC 2010]|
|Radhika Mittal (IIT Kharagpur)||Mobile Application Energy Emulation [Mobicom 2012]|
|Shekhar Srikantaiah (Penn State)||Energy-aware Workload Consolidation [Hotpower 2008]|
|Sriram Govindan, (Penn State), co-mentored with Jie Liu||Virtual Machine Interference [SOCC 2011]|
|Sai-Prashanth Soundaraj (IIT Kharagpur), co-mentored with Suman Nath||Flash Storage|
|Tingxin Yan (U Massachusetts), co-mentored with David Chu||Fast App pre-launching [Mobisys 2012]|
|Weiwei Xiong (UIUC, UCSD)||Energy Efficient Dryad [IEEE Data Engg]|
|Xuan Bao (Duke University)||Rainier: Multi-phone collaborative sensing applications [Ubicomp 2012]|
- TPC member: ICDCS (2012), HotPower 2011 (at SOSP), e-Energy 2011, IPSN 2011, e-Energy 2010, ACM/IEEE ICDSC 2010, ACM/IEEE ICDSC 2009, ACM SIGMETRICS 2008, OSDI HotPower 2008, Communication System Software and Middleware (COMSWARE) 2008, 11th Intl Symposium on Wireless Personal Mobile Communication (WPMC) 2008, WSAN 2008, WPMC 2007, Intl' Conf. Distributed Smart Cameras (ICDSC) 2007, Wireless Sensor and Actuator Networks (WSAN) 2007, Intl' Workshop on SensorWebs, Databases and Mining in Networked Sensing Systems (SWDMNSS) 2007, Basenets 2006.
ACM IPSN 2013, ACM Sensys 2011, PhoneSense 2011, ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing 2010, Workshop on Applications, Systems, and Algorithms for Image Sensing (ImageSense) 2008 at ACM Sensys, Second International Workshop on Agent Technology for Sensor Networks (ATSN) 2008 at 7th International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS-08),
Workshop on Applications of Mobile Embedded Systems (WAMES 2004) at ACM/USENIX Mobisys 2004.
- Proposals: National Science Foundation (NSF) review panels, Microsoft External Research Programs review committees.
- Journals: ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, ACM/IEEE Transactions on Networks, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, IEEE Transactions on Robotics, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Ad Hoc Networks, IEEE Computer, IEEE Wireless Communications, Simulation Journal, and others.
- Conferences: IPSN, Sensys, WCNC, ISLPED, MobiHoc, SECON, HiPC, VTC, and others.
Awards and Honors
- Best Paper Award, IEEE International Symposium on Workload Characterization 2013 [Paper]
- Microsoft Gold Star Award, awarded by Microsoft Corporation for contribution to green and energy efficient computing products.
- Microsoft Golden Volcano Award, awarded by Microsoft Corporation for contributions to mobile location and context sensing.
- Edward K Rice Outstanding PhD Award, awarded by UCLA School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, University of California Los Angeles.
- ACM International Symposium on Low Power Electronic Design (ISLPED) 2005 Low Power Design Contest Award.
- Outstanding Graduate Student Mentor, UCLA-NSF Center for Embedded Networked Sensing 2003 Undergraduate Research Experience.
- First Prize, BzzWings - Entrepreneurship Competition, Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Bangalore, 2002.
- Innovation Award, at IEEE Computer Society International Design Competition 2001, Washington DC.