Kaisheng Yao is a senior RSDE at Microsoft Research, which he joined in 2008. He received his Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering in a joint program of Tsinghua University, China, and Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in 2000. From 2000 to 2002, he worked as an invited researcher at Advanced Telecommunication Research Lab in Japan. From 2002 to 2004, he was a post-doc researcher at Institute for Neural Computation at University of California at San Diego. From 2004 to 2008, he was with Texas Instruments.
He has been active in both research and development areas including natural language understanding, speech recognition, machine learning and speech signal processing. He has published more than 50 papers in these areas and is the inventor/co-inventor of more than 20 granted/pending patents. At Microsoft, he has helped in shipping products such as voice search and Xbox. His current research and development interests are in the areas of deep learning using recurrent neural networks and its applications to natural language understanding, query understanding, and speech processing.
Selected publications (out of 50 publications)
- K. Yao, B. Peng, G. Zweig, D. Yu, X. Li, and F. Gao, “Recurrent conditional random fields”, in Deep Learning Workshop, NIPS, 2013.
- K. Yao, G. Zweig, M. Hwang, Y. Shi and D. Yu, "Recurrent Neural Networks for Language Understanding", in Interspeech, 2013
- K. Yao, D. Yu, L. Deng, and Y. Gong, “A fast maximum likelihood nonlinear feature transformation method for GMM-HMM speaker adaptation”, in Neurocomputing, 2013
D. Yu, K. Yao, H. Su, G. Li, and F. Seide, “KL-divergence regularized deep neural network adaptation for improved large vocabulary speech recognition”, in IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 2013.
D. Povey and K. Yao, “A Basis Representation of Constrained MLLR Transforms for Robust Adaptation”, Computer, Speech, and Language, vol.26, no. 1., 2012.
- L. Deng, J.-T. Huang, J. Li, K. Yao, et al, “Recent advances of deep learning for speech research at Microsoft”, in IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 2013.
- K. Yao, D. Yu, F. Seide, H. Su, L. Deng, and Y. Gong, “Adaptation of context-dependent deep neural networks for automatic speech recognition”, in IEEE Spoken Language Technology workshop, 2012.
- K. Yao, Y. Gong and C. Liu, “A feature space transformation method for personalization using generalized i-vector clustering”, in INTERSPEECH 2012.
- D. Povey and K. Yao, “A basis method for robust estimation of constrained MLLR”, in IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 2011.
- K. K. Paliwal and K. Yao, “Robust Speech Recognition under Noisy Ambient Conditions”, in Human Centric Interface for Ambient Intelligence, edited by R. Delgado, H. Aghajan, and J. Augusto, Elsevier, 2010.
- K. Yao, “A noise robust algorithm for underdetermined source separation”, in IEEE Workshop on Statistical Signal Processing, 2009.
- K. Yao and L. Netsch, “An approach to low footprint pronunciation models for embedded speaker independent name recognition”, in IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Montreal, Hawaii, 2007.
- K. Yao, L. Netsch, and V. Viswanathan, “Speaker-independent name recognition using improved compensation and acoustic modeling methods for mobile applications”, in IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, pp. 173-176, Toulouse, France, 2006.
- K. Yao, K. K. Paliwal, and T.-W. Lee, “Generative factor analyzed HMM for automatic speech recognition”, Speech Communication, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 435-454, 2005.
- K. Yao and T.-W. Lee, “Sequential Monte Carlo Method of Time-Varying Noise Estimation for Speech Enhancement and Recognition”, EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 15, pp. 2366-2384, 2004
- T.-W. Lee and K. Yao, “Speech enhancement by perceptual filter with sequential noise parameter estimation”, in IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, pp. 693-696, Montreal, Canada, 2004.
- K. Yao, K. K. Paliwal, and S. Nakamura, “Noise Adaptive Speech Recognition based on Sequential Noise Parameter Estimation”, Speech Communication, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 5-23, 2004.
- K. Yao and T.-W. Lee, “Speech enhancement with noise parameter estimated by a sequential Monte Carlo method”, in IEEE workshop on Statistical Signal Processing, pp. 609-612, St. Louis, U.S.A., 2003.
- K. Yao, E. Visser, O.-W. Kwon, and T.-W. Lee, “A speech processing front-end with eigenspace normalization for robust speech recognition in noisy automobile environments”, in EUROSPEECH, pp. 9-12, 2003.
- K. Yao, K. K. Paliwal, S. Nakamura, “Noise adaptive speech recognition with acoustic models trained from noisy speech evaluated on Aurora-2 database”, in International Conference on Spoken Language Processing, vol. 4, pp. 2437-2440, Sept., 2002.
- K. Yao, K. K. Paliwal, S. Nakamura, “Noise adaptive speech recognition in time-varying noise based on sequential Kullback proximal algorithm”, in IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, vol. 1, pp. 189-192, Florida, U.S.A., May, 2002.
- K. Yao, J. Chen, K. K. Paliwal, S. Nakamura, “Feature Extraction and Model-based Noise Compensation for Noisy Speech Recognition evaluated on AURORA 2 Task”, in EUROSPEECH, vol.1, pp. 233-236, Denmark, Sept. 2001. Rank 3rd in international competition.
- K. Yao, S. Nakamura, “Sequential noise compensation by sequential Monte Carlo method”, in Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 14, pp. 1205-1212, edited by T. G. Dietterich, S. Becker, and Z. Ghahramani, MIT press, 2001.
Recent Patents (out of 15 patents)
- K. Yao, G. Zweig, and D. Yu. Recurrent Conditional Random Fields
- K. Yao and Y. Gong, MS 337930.01 Feature Space Transformation for Personalization using Generalized i-Vector Clustering
- D. Yu, K. Yao, F. Seide, and G. Li, MS 338392.01 Deep Neural Network Adaptation with KL-Divergence Regularization