The first 14 years of my professional career was in product development, mostly in the Microsoft Windows Operating System division, and working primarily in the area of clustering, networking and telephony. In 2005, after 14 years in Redmond, I joined Microsoft Research India, where until November 2007 I headed the Advanced Development (ADG) Group. I am now a software architect, driving the RIN project. My primary interests are in multimedia storytelling, software engineering and semi-structured information retrieval. My personal page lists other interests.
I have a Certificate in independent filmmaking from University of Washington, an MS in Computer Science and a 2nd MS in Ocean Engineering, both from the University of New Hampshire, and a B. Tech. in Naval Archiecture from the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras.
- Rich Interactive Narratives (RIN, see also www.digitalnarratives.net)
- Debug Advisor
- Robust Location Search (see papers below for details)
- Virtual India (now Digital Heritage)
I am very happy to have contributed directly to the following Microsoft products, as a developer or development lead:
|Windows Server 2003 (2003)||BackOffice Small Business Server (1997)|
|Windows XP (2001)||Windows NT 4.0 (1996)|
|Windows Millennium (2000)||Microsoft Phone 1.0 (1995)|
|Windows 2000 (1999)||Windows 95 (1995)|
|Windows 98 (1998)||Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (1993)|
- Joybroto Banerjee, Nikhil Chandran, Naren Datha1, Tanuja Joshi, Joseph Joy,
Saurabh Kothari, Ajay Manchepalli, Kanchen Rajanna, Jatin Shah, Eric Stollnitz. RIN: A Framework for Rich Interactive Narratives. To appear at IEEE Infoviz '11: IEEE Information Visualization Conference 2011 (poster).
- N. Adabala, N. Datha, J. Joy, C. Kulkarni, A. Manchepalli, A. Sankar, and R. Walton, An Interactive Multimedia Framework for Digital Heritage Narratives. ACM MM '10: ACM Multimedia 2010. (Short paper).
- B. Ashok, J. Joy, H. Liang, S. Rajamani, G. Srinivasa, and V. Vangala. DebugAdvisor: A Recommender System for Debugging. FSE '09: 15th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Software Engineering, September 2009. (Nominated for ACM FSE Best Paper award.)
- Aditya Sankar, Archana Prasad, Joseph Joy, Naren Datha, and Ajay Manchepalli. Digital Heritage Video Showcase. ACM CHI '09, April 2009 (watch extended version of video here).
- N. Datha, T. Joshi, J. Joy, V. Sengar. Custom Local Search. SIGIR '09: Proceedings of the 17th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems.
- T. Joshi, J. Joy, T. Kellner, U. Khurana, A. Kumaran, V. Sengar. Crosslingual Location Search. SIGIR '08: The 31st Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference, July 2008.
- V. Sengar, T. Joshi, J. Joy, S. Prakash. Building a Global Location Search Service. Demo at ACM SIGMOD 2008.
- Vibhuti Sengar, Tanuja Joshi, Joseph M. Joy, Samarth Prakash, Kentaro Toyama. Robust location search from text queries. ACM GIS '07: 15th ACM International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems, November 2007.
- P. Chandrashekaran, C. Conway, J. M. Joy, S. Rajamani. Programming asynchronous layers with CLARITY. FSE '07: 15th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Software Engineering, September 2007. (Nominated for ACM FSE Best Paper award.)
- J. M. Joy, R. D. Bergeron, The hypercube as a dynamically reconfigurable processor mesh, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing 48(1): 130-142 (1998).
- J. D. Irish, J. M. Joy, R. M. Gelinas, D. D. Ball, Quasi-real time measurements of density in the Gulf of Maine, “Proceedings, IEEE Oceans ‘87”, CH2498-4/87/0000, pp 899-904.
Here's a sampling of 20+ issued patents for which I am co-inventor
- Generalized interactive narratives
- Enabling analysis of software source code
- Document translation system
- Diagnosing problems in distributed systems
- Tracking asynchronous execution of program using hierarchical structure of objects
- Method and apparatus for providing quality-of-service functionality over a bus
- Exposing Bluetooth compliant wireless device connections as modems or sockets
- Luminance emphasized color image rendering
- Method and apparatus for mapping colors in an image through dithering and diffusion
- Member, Task Force on GeoVisualization, Department of Science and Technology, Government of INDIA, 2006-2008.
- Judge, Imagine Cup 2006 World Finals.
- Program Committee Member, ACM GIS 2007-2011.