Microsoft Research Asia Faculty Summit, October 30-31, 2014 (speaker)
10th European CS Summit, October 13-15, 2014 (speaker)
30th International Conference on Software Maintenance and Evolution, October 1-3, 2014 (keynote)
Judith Bishop is Director of Computer Science in Microsoft Research Connections, based in Redmond, USA. Her research expertise is in programming languages and distributed systems, with a strong practical bias and interest in compilers and design patterns. She has 100 research publications and has written or edited 15 books on programming languages that are available in six languages and read worldwide. She has presented many keynotes and tutorials and serves frequently on international editorial, programme committees, review boards, and award panels. She joins a team of research managers in her role to create strong links between Microsoft’s research groups and universities globally, through encouraging projects, supporting conferences and engaging directly in research. Her goal and passion is to clearly demonstrate the effectiveness and applicability of open technologies to computer science research and teaching today.
After completing her degrees at Rhodes and Natal in South Africa, Judith received her PhD from the University of Southampton, UK, in 1977 on the relationship of languages to computer architecture. Then followed a distinguished career in academia, most recently as a professor at the University of Pretoria, South Africa. She has had visiting professor positions in the UK, Germany, Canada, Italy and the USA.
Judith has received numerous awards and distinctions, in particular the IFIP Outstanding Service Award in 2009 and the IFIP Silver Core Award 2006 for service to the worldwide computer science community, the Computer Society Fellowship Award in 2008, the South African DTI Award for Distinguished Woman Scientist of the Year for Innovation 2005, one of 100 Leading Mind Awards from her University in its Centenary Year 2008 and the Distinguished Alumna Award in 2011. She is a Fellow of the British Computer Society and the Royal Society of South Africa.
Keynote at 30th In'tl Conf. on Software Maintenance and Evolution, Software evolution- can abstraction be the key? Victoria BC,October 1-3, 2014
Keynote at IDA-30, University of Linkoping, Devices and Services are the New Hardware and Software, September 24, 2013, and at University of Waterloo, Canada, and ESOCC Malaga
SAICSIT 2012, Pretoria, South Africa, October, 1-3, 2012, Computer Societies - What, why and how
Informatics Europe, Computer Science Summit, Milan, Italy, November 7-9, 2012, Challenges for technology transfer from industry to academia
17th Asia Pacific Software Engineering Conference, Sydney, 30 November – 3 December 2010, The Data Deluge - How Software Engineering can Help, apsec2010.com/
6th International Conference on Predictive Models in Software Engineering, September 12-13, Overcoming scale and privacy issues in industrial software studies and repositories, promisedata.org/2010/
Fantastic Lectures in Computer Science at Bryn Mawr, The Hot Under the Cool - Programs, Patterns and Performance, March 26
Recent Confernce Organization
- SER&IP 2015 Workshop at ICSE 2015 (proposed) Co-chair
- Games in Software Engineering (GAS) Workshop at ICSE 2015 (proposed) Co-chair
- 2nd International Conference, MobileSoft 2014, Florence Italy, Finance Chair
- 1st International Conference, MobileSoft 2014, Hyderabad, India, Co-Chair
- 2013 FSE-NIER 2013, ESOCC 2013, HILT 2013, PPPJ 2013, SAC-PL 2013, MobileDeli 2013, SC 2013
- Co-chair, Data Driven Programming Workshop, at POPL 2014, January 22-24, San Diego USA
- Co-chair, ProMoTo, Workshop on Mobile and Touch, OOPSLA/SPLASH, October 27, 2013, Indiannapolis, USA
- MobileDeli 2013 Workshop on Mobile Development Lifecycle, OOPSLA/SPLASH, October 28, 2013, Indiannapolis, USA
- Foundations of Software Engineering - New Ideas and Emerging Results Track, November 11-16, 2013, Cary, USA
- ACM High Integrity Language Technology Conference, November 10-14, 2013 Pittsburgh, USA
- Principles and Practice of Programming in Java, September 11-13, 2013, Stuttgart, Germany
- Co-chair, Future of Software Engineering Symposium, July 18, 2013, Redmond, USA
- Co-Program Chair, European Service Oriented and Cloud Computing Conference, Industrial Track, September 11-13, 2013, Malaga, Spain
- Co-Chair, Data Driven Functional Programming Workshop, at POPL, January 22, 2013, Rome, 2013
- Programming for the Semantic Web, Workshop, at ISWC, November 11-15, Boston 2012
- Co-Program Chair, Microsoft Research Faculty Summit, Redmond USA, July 15-17, 2012
- Co-Program Chair, Cloud Futures Workshop, Berkeley USA, May 7-8, 2012
- ACM SIGSoft 20th Conference on Foundations of Software Engineering New Ideas and Emerging Results Track, Research Triangle, North Carolina, USA, 20-17 November, 2012
- 26th Symposium on Applied Computing, Programming Languages Track, Riva del Garda, Trentino, Italy, 25 29 March 2012
Fellow of British Computer Society | Royal Society of South Africa | Computer Society of South Africa | South African Institute of Computer Scientists
Council member of the South African Institute of Computer Scientists
Member: IFIP WG2.4 | ACM | IEEE Computer Society | Academy of Science of South Africa
Distinctions and Awards
2011 Computer Pioneer Award from the South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists (SAICSIT)
2011 Distinguished Old Rhodian (Alumna) Award, from Rhodes University, South Africa
2010 Honorary Professor, University of Cape Town
2010 Recognition of Service Award for the Contributions to the ACM as Chair of ICSE 2010
2009 IFIP Outstanding Service Award
2009 Re-award as a Univ. Pretoria Exceptional Academic Achiever, 2009-2011
2008 Fellowship Award of the South African Computer Society
2008 One of the University of Pretoria’s 100 Leading Minds for the Centenary Year
2007 Supervisor of Li Chang Johnny Lo, winner of the S2A3 Bronze Medal for 2007
2007 NRF Rating B2 (since 1996 - there are no A-rated computer scientists yet)
2005 SA’s DST’s Distinguished Woman in Science for Innovation
2005 Exceptional Academic Achiever, University of Pretoria for 2006-2008
2004 IFIP Silver Core Medal
2004 Humboldt Scholarship Award 2004 (with Prof Kurt Geihs)
2003 DAAD Fellowship to Germany, 2003
2002 Three competitive Microsoft RFP Awards, 2002-2004
Judith is the author and co-author of 15 monographs and text books, used worldwide, and translated into German, Italian, Spanish, Polish and Russian. She is also editor of two conference proceedings published as books.
Nigel Horspool, Judith Bishop, Arjmand Samuel, Nikolai Tillmann, Michal Moskal, Jonathan de Halleux, Manuel Faehndrich, Touch Develop - Programming on the Go, Microsoft Research Book, http://www.touchdevelop.com/book
Bishop Judith (ed) Component Deployment CD'02, Proc. IFIP/ACM Working Conference, CD 2002, Berlin, Germany, June 2002, Springer Verlag LNCS 2370, ISBN 3-540-43847-5, pp 270
Bishop, Judith and Bishop, Nigel, Java Gently for Engineers and Scientists, Addison-Wesley, Harlow, UK, pp436, ISBN 0-201-34304-5, 2000, reprinted
- Nikolai Tillmann, Jonathan de Halleux, Tao Xie, and Judith Bishop, Constructing Coding Duels in Pex4Fun and Code Hunt (Tool Demo), ISSTA, July 2014 (to appear)
- Nikolai Tillmann, Michal Moskal, Jonathan de Halleux, Sebastian Burckhardt, Thomas Ball, Judith Bishop: TouchDevelop: create rich mobile apps on touch devices (tutorial). MOBILESoft 2014: 1-2
- Nikolai Tillmann, Judith Bishop, R. Nigel Horspool, Daniel Perelman, Tao Xie: Code Hunt: searching for secret code for fun. SBST 2014: 23-26
- Nikolai Tillmann, Jonathan de Halleux, Tao Xie, Judith Bishop: Constructing coding duels in Pex4Fun and Code Hunt. ISSTA 2014: 445-448
- Nikolai Tillmann, Jonathan de Halleux, Tao Xie, Judith Bishop: Code hunt: gamifying teaching and learning of computer science at scale. L@S 2014: 221-222
- Judith Bishop: Industry's role in data and software curation in the cloud. Journal of Systems and Software 86(9): 2327-2329 (2013)
- Nikolai Tillmann, Jonathan de Halleux, Tao Xie, Judith Bishop: Pex4Fun: A web-based environment for educational gaming via automated test generation. ASE 2013: 730-733
- Steven Fraser, Dennis Mancl, Bill Opdyke, Judith Bishop, Pradeep Kathail, Junilu Lacar, Ipek Ozkaya, Alexandra Szynkarski: Technical debt: from source to mitigation. SPLASH (Companion Volume) 2013: 67-70
- Judith Bishop, Nikolai Tillmann, Arno Puder, Vinayak Naik: Programming for Mobile and Touch, PRoMoTo 2013 proceedings (Editorial) at OOPSLA/SPLASH. CoRR abs/1309.5500 (2013)
- Steven Fraser, Judith Bishop, Barry W. Boehm, Pradeep Kathail, Philippe Kruchten, Ipek Ozkaya, Alexandra Szynkarski: Technical debt: past, present, and future (panel). ICSE 2013: 861-862
- Michael Barnett, Martin Nordio, Judith Bishop, Karin Koogan Breitman, Diego Garbervetsky: 3rd international workshop on developing tools as plug-ins (TOPI 2013). ICSE 2013: 1555
- Nikolai Tillmann, Jonathan de Halleux, Tao Xie, Sumit Gulwani, Judith Bishop: Teaching and learning programming and software engineering via interactive gaming. ICSE 2013: 1117-1126
- Judith Bishop, David Notkin: Developing tools as plug-ins: TOPI 2011 special issue editorial. Softw., Pract. Exper. 43(4): 389-390 (2013)
- Evelyne Viegas, Karin Breitman, Judith Bishop (Eds.): Proceedings of the 2013 Workshop on Data Driven Functional Programming, DDFP 2013, Rome, Italy, January 22, 2013. ACM 2013, ISBN 978-1-4503-1871-6
- Nikolai Tillmann, Judith Bishop: Teaching programming on a mobile device. ITiCSE 2012:404
- Nikolai Tillmann, Michal Moskal, Jonathan de Halleux, Manuel Fahndrich, Judith Bishop, Arjmand Samuel, Tao Xie: The future of teaching programming is on mobile devices. ITiCSE 2012:156-161
- Nikolai Tillmann, Peli de Halleux, Tao Xie, Judith Bishop: Pex4Fun: Teaching and Learning Computer Science via Social Gaming. CSEE&T 2012:90-91, 2012
- Nikolai Tillmann, Jonathan de Halleux, Tao Xie, Judith Bishop: Teaching and learning computing via social gaming with Pex4Fun (abstract only). SIGCSE 2012: 659
Judith Bishop, Parallelism in. NET and Java, in Fundamentals of Multicore Software Development, CRC Press, Victor Pankratius, Ali-Reza Adl Tabatabi and Walter Tichy (eds.), pp 79-100, 2012
Mauro Luigi Drago and Judith Bishop, A Tool for Design and Analysis of Applications for Multicore Architectures, 26th Symposium on Applied Computing, Software Engineering Track, Riva del Garda, Trentino, Italy, 25 29 March 2012
Judith Bishop, Jonathan de Halleux, Nikolai Tillmann, Nigel Horspool, Don Syme and Tao Xie, Browser-based Software for Technology Transfer. Proc. SAICSIT, October 3-5, 2011, pp338-310
Caitlin Sadowski, Thomas Ball, Judith Bishop, Sebastian Burckhardt, Ganesh Gopalakrishnan, , Joseph Mayo, Madanlal Musuvathi, Shaz Qadeer and Stephen Toub, Practical parallel and concurrent programming, SIGCSE 2011, Dallas, Texas, March 9-12, 2011.
Caitlin Sadowski, Ganesh Gopalakrishnan, Thomas Ball, Joseph Mayo, Shaz Qadeer, Sebastian Burckhardt, Madanlal Musuvathi, Judith Bishop, and Stephen Toub, Tool-based Approach to Teaching Parallel and Concurrent Programming, 2010 Workshop on Curricula for Concurrency and Parallelism, SPLASH, October 17, 2010, Tahoe Nevada.
Jeff Kramer, Judith Bishop, Premkumar T. Devanbu, Sebastián Uchitel: Proceedings of the 32nd ACM/IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering - Volumes 1 and 2, ICSE 2010, Cape Town, South Africa, 1-8 May 2010 ACM 2010
Judith Bishop and Theo Danzfuss, Software Architecture and Mobility - Casually Connected Collaboration, Journal of Software Systems, doi:10.1016/j.jss.2010.02.36, March 2010.
Serena Coetzee and Judith Bishop, Multi-disciplinary contributions from a geospatial research project on distributed address management, Geospatial Science Forum 2009 (monograph), Map Africa 2009, Midrand, South Africa, 17-18 September 2009, to appear.
Serena Coetzee and Judith Bishop, Address databases for national SDI: Comparing the novel data grid approach to data harvesting and federated databases, International Journal of Geographic Information Science (IJGIS), 29), pp1179 - 1209 Sept 2009.
May Chan and Judith Bishop, The Design of a Self-healing Composition Cycle for Web Services. Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE ICSE 2010 Workshop on Software Engineering for Adaptive and Self-managing Systems SEAMS at ICSE, pp 20-27, Vancouver, Canada, 18-19 May 2009.
Serena Coetzee and Judith Bishop, An analysis of technology choices for data grids in a spatial data infrastructure. Spatial Data Infrastructure Convergence: Research, Emerging Trends, and Critical Assessment, B van Loenen, J Zevenbergen and J Besemer (Editors), Nederlandse Commissie voor Geodesie/Netherlands Geodetic Commission, pp48, 2009.
Pierre Henri Kuate, Johnny Lo and Judith Bishop, Secure Asynchronous Communication for Mobile Devices. Proc. Warm-Up Workshop for ACM/IEEE ICSE 2010, pp 5-8, Strand / Cape Town, South Africa, 1-3 April 2009.
K.S. May Chan, Judith Bishop, Johan Steyn, Luciano Baresi and Sam Guinea: A Fault Taxonomy for Web Service Composition. in E. di Nitto and M. Ripeanu (Eds.): ICSOC 2007 Workshops - Postproceedings. LNCS 4907, pp 363-375, Springer-Verlag, 2009.
Judith Bishop and Nigel Horspool, On the efficiency of design patterns implemented in C# 3.0, TOOLS (46) 2008: 356-371, Proc. 46th International Conference on Objects, Components, Models and Patterns, TOOLS EUROPE 2008, Zurich, Switzerland, June 30 - July 4, 2008. Richard F. Paige, Bertrand Meyer (Eds.):, Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing 11 Springer 2008
Serena Coetzee and Judith Bishop, Address databases for national SDI: Comparing the novel data grid approach to data harvesting and federated databases, International Journal of Geographic Information Science (IJGIS), in print 2008.
Judith Bishop, Language features meet design patterns: raising the abstraction bar , Workshop on the Role of Abstraction in Software Engineering, pp1-8, at ICSE 2008, Leipzig, May, 2008
Johnny Li-Chang Lo, Judith Bishop, J.H.P Eloff, SMSSec: an end-to-end protocol for secure SMS , Computers and Security: July 2008, DOI:10.1016/j.cose.2008.05.003.
Judith Bishop and Kurt Geihs, Distributed Objects and Applications (eds) OTM Conferences () 2006: 1433
Sasa Subotic, Judith Bishop and Stefan Gruner, Aspect-oriented Programming for a Distributed Framework, SACJ 37, 81-89, December 2006
Judith Bishop, Nigel Horspool, Cross-Platform Development: Software that Lasts, IEEE Computer, vol. 39, no. 10, pp. 26-35, Oct, 2006
Md. Ahsan Arefin, Md. Shiblee Sadik, Serena Coetzee, Judith Bishop, Alchemi vs Globus: a performance comparison, ICECE, December 19-21, 2006, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Jiten Rama and Judith Bishop, A survey and comparison of CSCW groupware applications, SAICSIT Conference, Somerset West, South Africa, October 9-11, pp198-205, 2006
Judith Bishop, Multi-platform user interface construction - a challenge for software engineering in-the-small, ICSE 2006, 751-760, Shanghai, China, May 2006
Kathrin Berg, Dirk Muthig and Judith Bishop, Tracing software product line variability - from problem to solution space, Proc. SAICSIT, pp. 182-191, White River, South Africa, September 2005
Tebalo Tsoaeli and Judith Bishop, Enhancing adaptability of distributed groupware applications, Proc. SAICSIT, pp. 260-267, White River, South Africa, September 2005
Judith Bishop, R Nigel Horspool and Basil Worrall, Experience in integrating Java with C# and .NET, Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, 17:663-680. June 2005
Judith Bishop and Basil Worrall, Towards platform interoperability: retargeting a GUI library on .NET, Proc. 3rd Conf .NET Technologies, Plzen, Czech Republic, pp23-33, May 2005
Anet Potgieter, Kurt April and Judith Bishop, Complex adaptive enterprises, in Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology, Vol 1-V, pp475-480, ed Mehdi Khosrow-Pour, Idea Group, 2005
Karen Renaud, Judith Bishop, Johnny Lo, Basil Worrall, Algon: from interchangeable distributed algorithms to interchangeable middleware, Software Composition 2004, Electr. Notes Theor. Comput. Sci. 114: 65-85, 2005
updated October 2014
- Nikolai Tillmann, Judith Bishop, R. Nigel Horspool, Daniel Perelman, and Tao Xie, Code Hunt: Searching for Secret Code for Fun, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Engineering (Workshops), ACM ICSE Workshop on Seach Based Software Testing 2014, 1 June 2014
- Nikolai Tillmann, Michal Moskal, Peli de Halleux, Sebastian Burckhardt, Tom Ball, and Judith Bishop, Tutorial: Create Rich Mobile Apps on Touch Devices, in Proceedings of the First International Conference on Mobile Software Engineering and Systems, , June 2014
- Nikolai Tillmann, Judith Bishop, Nigel Horspool, Daniel Perelman, and Tao Xie, Code Hunt - Searching for Secret Code for Fun, in Proceedings of the 7th International Workshop on Search-Based Software Testing , June 2014
- Michał Moskal, Nikolai Tillmann, Jonathan de Halleux, Sebastian Burckhardt, Thomas Ball, and Judith Bishop, Tap Here: A Diff-powered Programming Tutorial Engine, in Proceedings of 2nd Workshop on Programming Languages Technology for Massive Open Online Courses, April 2014
- Nikolai Tillmann, Peli de Halleux, Tao Xie, and Judith Bishop, Code Hunt: Gamifying Teaching and Learning of Computer Science at Scale, in Proceedings of the 1st ACM Conference on Learning at Scale, , 2014
- Nikolai Tillmann, Jonathan de Halleux, Tao Xie, and Judith Bishop, Pex4Fun: A Web-Based Environment for Educational Gaming via Automated Test Generation, in Proc. 28th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Automated Software Engineering (ASE 2013), Tool Demonstrations, November 2013
- Nikolai Tillmann, Jonathan De Halleux, Tao Xie, Sumit Gulwani, and Judith Bishop, Teaching and Learning Programming and Software Engineering via Interactive Gaming, in Proc. 35th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2013), Software Engineering Education (SEE), May 2013
- Michael Barnett, Martin Nordio, Judith Bishop, Karin Koogan Breitman, and Diego Garbervetsky, 3rd international workshop on developing tools as plug-ins (TOPI 2013), in ICSE, IEEE / ACM, 2013
- Steven Fraser, Judith Bishop, Barry W. Boehm, Pradeep Kathail, Philippe Kruchten, Ipek Ozkaya, and Alexandra Szynkarski, Technical debt: past, present, and future (panel), in ICSE, IEEE / ACM, 2013
- Antonio Vallecillo and Judith Bishop, TOOLS Europe 2011 Special Section, in Journal of Object Technology, vol. 11, no. 1, 2012
Computer Science Brochure
Luigi Drago | Caitlin Sadowski | Kivanc Muslu | Daniel Perelman | Alisha Meherally
Countries visited for Microsoft
USA, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Canada, Sweden, UK, Switzerland, India, Romania, Austria, Italy, Australia, France, Mexico, Chile, Brazil, Russia
jbishop (at) microsoft.com | Phone: +1 425 706 2004