Dr. Guobin (Jacky) Shen joined Microsoft Research Asia in January 2001, where he is now a Lead Researcher in the Wireless and Networking Group. His current research focuses on mobile sensing and actuation systems, mobile multimedia, and low-latency mobile-Cloud systems, while he has worked on topics in peer-to-peer networking and systems, wireless sensor networks, video compression and streaming, GPU-acceleration of video signal processing.
He received his Ph.D from the HKUST in 2001, M.S. degree from Southeast University in 1997, and B.S. degree from Harbin University of Engineering in 1994, all in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. He has published about 50 technical papers, including journal papers and top conferences in respective fields he worked in. He is a Senior member of IEEE and a member of ACM. Currently, he serves the Multimedia System and Applications Technical Committee of the IEEE CAS Society, and Technical Committee of IEEE Communication society. He is also an associate editor to several journals, a TPC member for many international conferences. He is an Adjunct Professor and PhD advisor at Tianjin University.
He has been granted two US patents for his PhD work and near twenty after joining Microsoft, and over thirty patents filed. He won 3 Best Demos in a roll at SenSys'07 and MobiSys'07,'08. He is also the winner of Microsoft Engineering Excellence Innovation Award for the GCR region in 2007.
- Paper -- "Continuous location service provisioning for mobile phones", accepted to Infocom 2013 main conference.
- Our paper -- "MusicalHeart: A Hearty Way of Listening to Music" -- on music recommendation using Septimu gets published at SenSys 2012, in collaboration with Prof. Jack Stankovic, UVA. A demo is also accepted. It already got some media such as New Scientist and Business Standard.
- Another paper -- "IODetector: A Generic Service for Indoor Outdoor Detection" -- on indoor/outdoor detection using energy-cheap sensors gets published at SenSys 2012, in collaboration with Prof. Mo Li, NTU Singapore.
Ongoing Projects:Project: LifeX -- Lifestyle eXplorer
People are increasingly conscious of their everyday health and wellness conditions, and actively seek to improve them. In this project, we build software and hardware solutions that utilize and/or augment mobile phones to continuously monitor users' wellness without changing their existing lifestyle. Instead of solely passive monitoring, we further explore the actuation possibilities, i.e., seek to leverage the social networks to properly motivate the user towards improved health conditions.
Project: 1stLoc -- Location As a First-Class Citizen of Mobile OS
The proliferation of location-based and location enhanced services, applications, and social networks calls for the provisioning of location service as a first class system component. Such location service should have short response time (better instantly available), provide high location accuracy and work seamlessly across outdoor and indoor environments. To achieve these goals, we seek to push down the energy envelop and enable continuous localization in the background, to explore the infrastructure intelligently.
- Chunyi Peng, Guobin Shen and Yongguang Zhang, “BeepBeep: A High-Accuracy Acoustic-Based System for Ranging and Localization Using COTS Devices,” in
ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, March 2012.
- Yifeng He, Guobin Shen, Yongqiang Xiong and Ling Guan, “Optimal Prefetching Scheme in P2P VoD Applications with Guided Seeks”, in IEEE Trans. On Multimedia, Jan 2009.
- Guobin Shen, Yuwen He, Wanyong Cao and Shipeng Li, “MPEG-2 to WMV Transcoder with Adaptive Error Compensation and Dynamic Switches”, in IEEE Trans. on Circuits Systems for Video Technology. Vol. 16, Dec 2006, pp. 1460–1476.
Shahriar Nirjon, Robert Dickerson, Qiang Li, Philip Asare, John Stankovic, Dezhi Hong, Ben Zhang, Guobin Shen, Xiaofan Jiang, Feng Zhao, "MusicalHeart: A Hearty Way of Listening to Music", SenSys 2012.
Pengfei Zhou, Yuanqing Zheng, Zhenjiang Li, Mo Li, Guobin Shen, "IODetector: A Generic Service for Indoor Outdoor Detection", SenSys 2012.
Hao Han, Yunxin Liu, Guobin Shen, Yongguang Zhang and Qun Li, "DozyAP: Power-Efficient Wi-Fi Tethering", MobiSys 2012.
Chunyi Peng, Guobin Shen, Yongguang Zhang, and Songwu Lu, "Point&Connect: Intention-based Device Pairing for Mobile Phone Users," MobiSys 2009.
- Chunyi Peng, Guobin Shen, Yongguang Zhang, et al, "BeepBeep: A High Accuracy Acoustic Ranging System using COTS Mobile Devices", SenSys, 2007.
- Guobin Shen, Yanlin Li, Yongguang Zhang, "MobiUS: Enable Together-Viewing Video Experience across Two Mobile Devices", MobiSys 2007.
- Guobin Shen, Ye Wang, Yongqiang Xiong, Ben Y. Zhao, Zhi-Li Zhang, “HPTP: Relieving The Tension between ISPs and P2P,” IPTPS 2007.
- Genius-on-the-Go, Sensys 2012.
- Septimu, IPSN 2012, SenSys 2012.
- Point-to-Share, MobiSys 2008. Best Demo Award!
- BeepBeep demo, SenSys 2007. Best Runner-up Demo Award!
MobiUS demo (a.k.a Lover's Phone), MobiSys 2007. Best Demo Award!