Dr. Guobin (Jacky) Shen joined Microsoft Research Asia in January 2001, where he is now a Lead Researcher in the Wireless and Networking Group. His current research focuses on mobile sensing and actuation systems, mobile multimedia, and low-latency mobile-Cloud systems, while he has worked on topics in peer-to-peer networking and systems, wireless sensor networks, video compression and streaming, GPU-acceleration of video signal processing.
He received his Ph.D from the HKUST in 2001, M.S. degree from Southeast University in 1997, and B.S. degree from Harbin University of Engineering in 1994, all in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. He has published about 50 technical papers, including journal papers and top conferences in respective fields he worked in. He is a Senior member of IEEE and a member of ACM. Currently, he serves the Multimedia System and Applications Technical Committee of the IEEE CAS Society, and Technical Committee of IEEE Communication society. He is also an associate editor to several journals, a TPC member for many international conferences. He is an Adjunct Professor and PhD advisor at Tianjin University.
He has been granted two US patents for his PhD work and near twenty after joining Microsoft, and over thirty patents filed. He won 3 Best Demos in a roll at SenSys'07 and MobiSys'07,'08. He is also the winner of Microsoft Engineering Excellence Innovation Award for the GCR region in 2007.
- Paper -- "Experiencing and Handling the Diversity in Data Density and Environmental Locality in an Indoor Positioning Service", accepted to Mobicom'14.
- Paper -- "Travi-Navi: Self-deployable Indoor Navigation System", accepted to Mobicom'14.
- Paper -- "Use it Free: Instantly Knowing Your Phone Attitude", accepted to Mobicom'14.
- Paper -- "Reliability Matters: Boost The Throughput over Screen-Camera Links", accepted to Mobicom'14.
- Paper -- "Strata: Layered coding for scalable visual communications", accepted to Mobicom'14.
- Paper -- "Epsilon: A Visible Light Based Positioning System", published at NSDI'14.
Ongoing Major Projects:Project: LifeX -- Lifestyle eXplorer
People are increasingly conscious of their everyday health and wellness conditions, and actively seek to improve them. In this project, we build software and hardware solutions that utilize and/or augment mobile phones to continuously monitor users' wellness without changing their existing lifestyle. Instead of solely passive monitoring, we further explore the actuation possibilities, i.e., seek to leverage the social networks to properly motivate the user towards improved health conditions.
Project: 1stLoc -- Location As a First-Class Citizen of Mobile OS
The proliferation of location-based and location enhanced services, applications, and social networks calls for the provisioning of location service as a first class system component. Such location service should have short response time (better instantly available), provide high location accuracy and work seamlessly across outdoor and indoor environments. To achieve these goals, we seek to push down the energy envelop and enable continuous localization in the background, to explore the infrastructure intelligently.
Hao Han, Yunxin Liu, Guobin Shen, Yongguang Zhang, Qun Li, Chiu C. Tan, "Design, Realization and Evaluation of DozyAP for Power-efficient WiFi Tethering", accepted to IEEE Trans. on Networking.
Pengfei Zhou, Yuanqing Zheng, Zhenjiang Li, Mo Li, and Guobin Shen, "IODetector: A Generic Service for Indoor Outdoor Detection", accepted to IEEE Trans. On Sensor Networks.
Chunyi Peng, Guobin Shen and Yongguang Zhang, “BeepBeep: A High-Accuracy Acoustic-Based System for Ranging and Localization Using COTS Devices,” in
ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, March 2012.
- Yifeng He, Guobin Shen, Yongqiang Xiong and Ling Guan, “Optimal Prefetching Scheme in P2P VoD Applications with Guided Seeks”, in IEEE Trans. On Multimedia, Jan 2009.
- Guobin Shen, Yuwen He, Wanyong Cao and Shipeng Li, “MPEG-2 to WMV Transcoder with Adaptive Error Compensation and Dynamic Switches”, in IEEE Trans. on Circuits Systems for Video Technology. Vol. 16, Dec 2006, pp. 1460–1476.
Liqun Li, Guobin Shen, Chunshui Zhao, Thomas Moscibroda, Jyh-Han Lin, Feng Zhao, "Experiencing and Handling the Diversity in Data Density and Environmental Locality in an Indoor Positioning Service", accepted to Mobicom'14.
Yuanqing Zheng, Guobin Shen, Liqun Li, Chunshui Zhao, Mo Li, Feng Zhao, "Travi-Navi: Self-deployable Indoor Navigation System", accepted to Mobicom'14.
Pengfei Zhou, Mo Li, Guobin Shen, "Use it Free: Instantly Knowing Your Phone Attitude", accepted to Mobicom'14.
Anran Wang, Shuai Ma, Chunming Hu, Jinpeng Huai, Chunyi Peng, Guobin Shen, "Reliability Matters: Boost The Throughput over Screen-Camera Links", accepted to Mobicom'14.
Wenjun Hu, Jingshu Mao, Zihui Huang, Yiqing Xue, Junfeng She, Kaigui Bian, Guobin Shen, "Strata: Layered coding for scalable visual communications", accepted to Mobicom'14.
Liqun Li, Pan Hu, Chunyi Peng, Guobin Shen, Feng Zhao, "Epsilon: A Visible Light Based Positioning System", NSDI'14.
Pan Hu, Guobin Shen, Liqun Li and Donghuan Lu, "ViRi: View it Right", accepted to Mobisys'13.
Shahriar Nirjon, Robert F. Dickerson, Philip Asare, Qiang Li, Dezhi Hong, John A. Stankovic, Pan Hu, Guobin Shen, and Xiaofan Jiang. "Auditeur: A Mobile-Cloud Service Platform for Acoustic Event Detection on Smartphones", Mobisys'13.
Guobin Shen, Zhuo Chen, Peichao Zhang, Thomas Moscribroda and Yongguang Zhang, "Walkie-Markie: indoor pathway mapping made easy", NSDI'13.
Shahriar Nirjon, Robert Dickerson, Qiang Li, Philip Asare, John Stankovic, Dezhi Hong, Ben Zhang, Guobin Shen, Xiaofan Jiang, and Feng Zhao, "MusicalHeart: A Hearty Way of Listening to Music", SenSys 2012.
Pengfei Zhou, Yuanqing Zheng, Zhenjiang Li, Mo Li, and Guobin Shen, "IODetector: A Generic Service for Indoor Outdoor Detection", SenSys 2012.
Chunyi Peng, Guobin Shen, Yongguang Zhang, and Songwu Lu, "Point&Connect: Intention-based Device Pairing for Mobile Phone Users," MobiSys 2009.
- Chunyi Peng, Guobin Shen, Yongguang Zhang, et al, "BeepBeep: A High Accuracy Acoustic Ranging System using COTS Mobile Devices", SenSys, 2007.
- Guobin Shen, Yanlin Li, Yongguang Zhang, "MobiUS: Enable Together-Viewing Video Experience across Two Mobile Devices", MobiSys 2007.
- Guobin Shen, Ye Wang, Yongqiang Xiong, Ben Y. Zhao, Zhi-Li Zhang, “HPTP: Relieving The Tension between ISPs and P2P,” IPTPS 2007.
- Genius-on-the-Go, Sensys 2012.
- Septimu, IPSN 2012, SenSys 2012.
- Point-to-Share, MobiSys 2008. Best Demo Award!
- BeepBeep demo, SenSys 2007. Best Runner-up Demo Award!
MobiUS demo (a.k.a Lover's Phone), MobiSys 2007. Best Demo Award!