I am a researcher in MSR Redmond. My current focus is on developing resource management frameworks for large datacenters. I am also interested in the economics of cloud computing.
I worked in the past on machine learning algorithms (specifically, reinforcement learning), and also on game theoretic models of communication networks (Diffserv, wireless MAC, cognitive radios, etc., see this monograph for a summary).
I’ve had the privilege to work with excellent students:
- Virajith jalaparti (UIUC): Speeding up Distributed Request-Response Workflows (Sigcomm'13), Network-Aware Scheduling for Data-Parallel Jobs: Plan When You Can (Sigcomm'15), Dynamic Pricing and Traffic Engineering for Timely Inter-Datacenter Transfers (Sigcomm'16, to appear)
- Mikhail Rybalkin (Steklov Mathematical Institute, St. Petersburg): Speeding up Distributed Request-Response Workflows (Sigcomm'13)
- Jonathan Yaniv (Technion): Scheduling mechanisms for jobs with deadlines (SAGT'11, SPAA'12, SPAA'13, SPAA'14, EC'15)
- Spandana Raj B (undergrad from IIT Madras): Calendaring for Wide Area Networks (Sigcomm'14)
- Andrew Newell (Purdue): Optimizing Distributed Actor Systems for Dynamic Interactive Services (EuroSys'16)
- Ivan Bliznets (Steklov Mathematical Institute, St. Petersburg): Dynamic Pricing and Traffic Engineering for Timely Inter-Datacenter Transfers (Sigcomm'16, to appear)
Recent papers (Full list)
- Virajith Jalaparti, Ivan Bliznets, Srikanth Kandula, Brendan Lucier and Ishai Menache, Dynamic Pricing and Traffic Engineering for Timely Inter-Datacenter Transfers (ACM SIGCOMM, to appear, August 2016).
- Andrew Newell, Gabriel Kliot, Ishai Menache, Aditya Gopalan and Mark Silberstein, Optimizing Distributed Actor Systems for Dynamic Interactive Services, EuroSys, April 2016. See also morning paper blog post.
- Virajith Jalaparti, Peter Bodik, Ishai Menache, Sriram Rao, Konstantin Makarychev, and Matt Caesar, Network-Aware Scheduling for Data-Parallel Jobs: Plan When You Can, ACM SIGCOMM, August 2015.
- Y. Azar, I. Kalp-Shaltiel, B. Lucier, I. Menache, J. Naor and J. Yaniv, Truthful Online Scheduling with Commitments, EC, June 2015
- Ishai Menache and Mohit Singh, Online Caching with Convex Costs, SPAA, June 2015
- Vivek Narasayya, Ishai Menache, Mohit Singh, Feng Li, Manoj Syamala and Surajit Chaudhuri, Sharing Buffer Pool Memory in Multi-Tenant Relational Database-as-a-Service, the 41st International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), Vol. 8, no. 7, March 2015
- Yossi Azar, Seny Kamara, Ishai Menache, Mariana Raykova and Bruce Shepherd, Co-Location-Resistant Clouds, ACM Cloud Computing Security Workshop (CCSW '14)
- Srikanth Kandula, Ishai Menache, Roy Schwartz, and Spandana Raj Babbula, Calendaring for Wide Area Networks, ACM SIGCOMM, August 2014
- Ishai Menache, Ohad Shamir, and Navendu Jain, On-demand, Spot, or Both: Dynamic Resource Allocation for Executing Batch Jobs in the Cloud, International Conference on Autonomic Computing , 18 June 2014
- Peter Bodík, Ishai Menache, Joseph (Seffi) Naor, and Jonathan Yaniv, Brief Announcement: Deadline-Aware Scheduling of Big-Data Processing Jobs, SPAA, June 2014
- Virajith Jalaparti, Peter Bodik, Srikanth Kandula, Ishai Menache, Mikhail Rybalkin, and Chenyu Yan, Speeding up Distributed Request-Response Workflows , ACM SIGCOMM, August 2013
- Brendan Lucier, Ishai Menache, Joseph Naor, and Jonathan Yaniv, Efficient Online Scheduling for Deadline-Sensitive Batch Computing, in SPAA, July 2013
- Gautam Kumar, Srikanth Kandula, Peter Bodik, and Ishai Menache, Virtualizing Traffic Shapers for Practical Resource Allocation, HotCloud, June 2013
- Peter Bodik, Ishai Menache, Mosharaf Chowdhury, Pradeepkumar Mani, David A. Maltz, and Ion Stoica, Surviving Failures in Bandwidth-Constrained Datacenters, ACM SIGCOMM, August 2012
- Navendu Jain, Ishai Menache, Joseph Naor, and F. Bruce Shepherd, Topology-Aware VM Migration in Bandwidth Oversubscribed Datacenter Networks, in ICALP (full version of the conference paper), May 2012
- Navendu Jain, Ishai Menache, Seffi Naor, and Jonathan Yaniv, Near-Optimal Scheduling Mechanisms for Deadline-Sensitive Jobs, in SPAA, 2012
- Ganesh Ananthanarayanan and Ishai Menache, Big data Analytics Systems (survey, to appear as book chapter in the book Big data over Networks, full copyright to Cambridge University Press, 2015)
e-mail: [first_name] at microsoft.com