I am a researcher in the cloud systems group in MSR Redmond.
My current focus is on developing resource management frameworks for large datacenters. I am also interested in the economics of cloud computing.
I worked in the past on machine learning algorithms (specifically, reinforcement learning), and also on game theoretic models of communication networks (Diffserv, wireless MAC, cognitive radios, etc., see this monograph for a summary). My publications can be found here.
I’ve had the privilege to work with excellent students:
- Virajith jalaparti (UIUC): Speeding up Distributed Request-Response Workflows (Sigcomm'13)
- Mikhail Rybalkin (Steklov Mathematical Institute, St. Petersburg): Speeding up Distributed Request-Response Workflows (Sigcomm'13)
- Jonathan Yaniv (Technion): Predicting and scheduling big-data jobs (SAGT'11, SPAA'12, SPAA'13, SPAA'14)
- Spandana Raj B (undergrad from IIT Madras): Calendaring for Wide Area Networks (Sigcomm'14)
- Andrew Newell (Purdue)
e-mail: [first_name] at microsoft.com
- Srikanth Kandula, Ishai Menache, Roy Schwartz, and Spandana Raj Babbula, Calendaring for Wide Area Networks, ACM SIGCOMM, August 2014
- Ishai Menache, Ohad Shamir, and Navendu Jain, On-demand, Spot, or Both: Dynamic Resource Allocation for Executing Batch Jobs in the Cloud, International Conference on Autonomic Computing , 18 June 2014
- Peter Bodík, Ishai Menache, Joseph (Seffi) Naor, and Jonathan Yaniv, Brief Announcement: Deadline-Aware Scheduling of Big-Data Processing Jobs, SPAA, June 2014
- Virajith Jalaparti, Peter Bodik, Srikanth Kandula, Ishai Menache, Mikhail Rybalkin, and Chenyu Yan, Speeding up Distributed Request-Response Workflows , ACM SIGCOMM, August 2013
- Brendan Lucier, Ishai Menache, Joseph Naor, and Jonathan Yaniv, Efficient Online Scheduling for Deadline-Sensitive Batch Computing, in SPAA, July 2013
- Gautam Kumar, Srikanth Kandula, Peter Bodik, and Ishai Menache, Virtualizing Traffic Shapers for Practical Resource Allocation, HotCloud, June 2013
- Peter Bodik, Ishai Menache, Mosharaf Chowdhury, Pradeepkumar Mani, David A. Maltz, and Ion Stoica, Surviving Failures in Bandwidth-Constrained Datacenters, ACM SIGCOMM, August 2012
- Navendu Jain, Ishai Menache, Joseph Naor, and F. Bruce Shepherd, Topology-Aware VM Migration in Bandwidth Oversubscribed Datacenter Networks, in ICALP (full version of the conference paper), May 2012
- Navendu Jain, Ishai Menache, Seffi Naor, and Jonathan Yaniv, Near-Optimal Scheduling Mechanisms for Deadline-Sensitive Jobs, in SPAA, 2012