I am a senior researcher with Microsoft Research in the neXus group. My research focuses on understanding how knowledge flows among people and building systems to make it flow more freely.
I am currently working on projects related to video communication and telepresence. I am interested in its application to both work and personal contexts. Most of my work has been with synchronous communication, but asynchronous video is also of interest.
- Irene Rae, Gina Venolia, John C. Tang, and David Molnar, A Framework for Understanding and Designing Telepresence, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, 14 March 2015
- Azadeh Forghani, Gina Venolia, and Kori Inkpen, Media2gether: Sharing Media during a Call, in ACM Group 2014, ACM, 11 November 2014
- Meredith Ringel Morris, Kori Inkpen Quinn, and Gina Venolia, Remote Shopping Advice: Enhancing In-Store Shopping with Social Technologies, in Proceedings of CSCW 2014, ACM, February 2014
- Gina Venolia, Tom Erickson, John Tang, Ben Mazza, and Susan C. Herring, Lifestyle Teleworkers Speak Out! , in CSCW 2014 Extended Abstracts, ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, February 2014
- Anna Macaranas, Gina Venolia, Kori Inkpen, and John Tang, Sharing Experiences over Video: Watching Video Programs Together at a Distance, in Proc. INTERACT 2013, Springer, September 2013
More About Me
I have been at Microsoft Research since 1998, and have worked on a variety of topics including speech UI's, soft keyboards, peripheral awareness, email UI, and tools to support team work within software development teams.
Before joining Microsoft, I was at Cosmo Software, a now-defunct division of the all-but-defunct Silicon Graphics. My main contribution there was the user interface design for Cosmo PageFX, a novel tool for developing animated elements for web pages using VRML. PageFX had a very cool visual language for describing the causal chain of events and animation effects.
Before that, I was at Apple Computer for 15 years. Most of my time there was spent in the Advanced Technology Group. I shipped a number of things, including the QuickDraw 3D User Interface Guidelines and Toolbox, the Apple Game Sprockets APIs, mouse acceleration (twice!) and LisaTerminal.
I'm a California native. I enjoy adventuring on my motorcycles and tormenting (and being tormented by) my two dachshunds.