I am a senior researcher with Microsoft Research in the neXus group. My research focuses on understanding how knowledge flows among people and building systems to make it flow more freely.
I am currently working on projects related to video communication and telepresence. I am interested in its application to both work and personal contexts. Most of my work has been with synchronous communication, but asynchronous video is also of interest.
- Anna Macaranas, Gina Venolia, Kori Inkpen, and John Tang, Sharing Experiences over Video: Watching Video Programs Together at a Distance, in Proc. INTERACT 2013, Springer, September 2013
- john c tang, Robert Xiao, aaron hoff, gina venolia, patrick therien, and asta roseway, HomeProxy: Exploring a Physical Proxy for Video Communication in the Home, in CHI 2013, ACM Conference on Computer-Human Interaction, 29 April 2013
- Kori Inkpen, Brett Taylor, Sasa Junuzovic, John C. Tang, and Gina Venolia, Experiences2Go: Sharing Kids' Activities Outside the Home with Remote Family Members (Best Paper Nomination), in CSCW 2013, ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, February 2013
- Jed R. Brubaker, Gina Venolia, and John C. Tang, Focusing on Shared Experiences: Moving beyond the camera in video communication, in Proc. DIS 2012, ACM, June 2012
- Jeremy T. Barksdale, Kori Inkpen, Mary Czerwinski, Aaron Hoff, Paul Johns, Asta Roseway, and Gina Venolia, Video Threads: Asynchronous Video Sharing for Temporally Distributed Teams, in CSCW 2012, ACM, February 2012
More About Me
I have been at Microsoft Research since 1998, and have worked on a variety of topics including speech UI's, soft keyboards, peripheral awareness, email UI, and tools to support team work within software development teams.
Before joining Microsoft, I was at Cosmo Software, a now-defunct division of the all-but-defunct Silicon Graphics. My main contribution there was the user interface design for Cosmo PageFX, a novel tool for developing animated elements for web pages using VRML. PageFX had a very cool visual language for describing the causal chain of events and animation effects.
Before that, I was at Apple Computer for 15 years. Most of my time there was spent in the Advanced Technology Group. I shipped a number of things, including the QuickDraw 3D User Interface Guidelines and Toolbox, the Apple Game Sprockets APIs, mouse acceleration (twice!) and LisaTerminal.
I'm a California native. I enjoy adventuring on my motorcycles and tormenting (and being tormented by) my two dachshunds.