I'm a developer in the Human Experience & Design group in Cambridge, working on a number of projects: notables from the past include SenseCam, i2i, and Research Desktop and other work within Integrated Systems, as well as some of our local Information Retrieval and Fuse efforts.
You can find some random ramblings on my blog.
That's all for the moment - to paraphrase Thumper: if you can't say anything interesting, don't say nothing at all.
- John Downs, Nicolas Villar, James Scott, Sian Lindley, John Helmes, and Gavin Smyth, A Small Space for Playful Messaging in the Workplace: Designing and Deploying Picco, in Proceedings of the 2014 ACM conference on Designing Interactive Systems, ACM, 21 June 2014.
- Richard Harper, Eno Thereska, Sian Lindley, Richard Banks, Phil Gosset, William Odom, Gavin Smyth, and Eryn Whitworth, What is a file?, in CSCW 2013, ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, 23 February 2013.
- Richard Harper, Eno Thereska, Sian Lindley, Richard Banks, Phil Gosset, William Odom, Gavin Smyth, and Eryn Whitworth, What is a File?, no. MSR-TR-2011-109, 1 October 2011.
- Gerard Oleksik, Max L. Wilson, Craig Tashman, Eduarda Mendes Rodrigues, Gabriella Kazai, Gavin Smyth, Natasa Milic-Frayling, and Rachel Jones, Lightweight Tagging Expands Information and Activity Management Practices, in Proceedings of the ACM CHI 2009 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, April 2009.
- Amit Shesh, Antonio Criminisi, Carsten Rother, and Gavin Smyth, 3D-aware Image Editing for Out of Bounds Photography, in Graphics Interface, 2009.
- Michael Massimi, Emma Berry, Georgina Browne, Gavin Smyth, Peter Watson, and Ronald M Baecker, An exploratory case study of the impact of ambient biographical displays on identity in a patient with Alzheimer's disease, in Neuropsychological Rehabilitation, vol. 18, no. 5-6, pp. 742–765, December 2008.
- Emma Berry, Narinder Kapur, Lyndsay Williams, Steve Hodges, Peter Watson, Gavin Smyth, James Srinivasan, Reg Smith, Barbara Wilson, and Ken Wood, The use of a wearable camera, SenseCam, as a pictorial diary to improve autobiographical memory in a patient with limbic encephalitis: A preliminary report, in Neuropsychological Rehabilitation, vol. 17, no. 4/5, pp. 582-601, 2007.
- Steve Hodges, Lyndsay Williams, Emma Berry, Shahram Izadi, James Srinivasan, Alex Butler, Gavin Smyth, Narinder Kapur, and Ken Wood, SenseCam: A Retrospective Memory Aid, in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference of Ubiquitous Computing (UbiComp 2006), Springer Verlag, September 2006.
- Eduarda Mendes Rodrigues, Natasa Milic-Frayling, Martin Hicks, and Gavin Smyth, Link Structure Graphs for Representing and Analyzing Web Sites, no. MSR-TR-2006-94, June 2006.
- Janez Brank, Natasa Milic-Frayling, Anthony Frayling, and Gavin Smyth, Predictive Algorithms for Browser Support of Habitual User Activities on the Web, in WI '05: Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence, IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, USA, 2005.
- Janez Brank, Natasa Milic-Frayling, Anthony Frayling, and Gavin Smyth, Predictive Algorithms for Browser Support of Habitual User Activities on the Web, no. MSR-TR-2004-122, November 2004.
- Natasa Milic-Frayling, Rachel Jones, Kerry Rodden, Gavin Smyth, and Anthony Frayling, Designing for Web Revisitation: Exploiting Structure from User Interaction and Navigation, no. MSR-TR-2004-97, September 2004.
- Natasa Milic-Frayling, Rachel Jones, Kerry Rodden, Gavin Smyth, Alan Blackwell, and Ralph Sommerer, Smartback: supporting users in back navigation, in WWW '04: Proceedings of the 13th international conference on World Wide Web, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2004.
- Natasa Milic-Frayling, Ralph Sommerer, and Gavin Smyth, MIDAS: Towards Rich Site Structure and Content Metadata, in WWW 2003: Proceedings of the Twelfth International World Wide Web Conference (Posters), 2003.