Dr. Furu Wei is a researcher in Natural Language Computing group at Microsoft Research Asia, Beijing, China. Before joining MSRA-NLC in Nov. 2010, he has been a staff researcher at IBM Research - China (IBM CRL) since Jul. 2009. Furu received his Ph.D in Jun. 2009 from Department of Computer Science of Wuhan University. Before that, he received a B.Sc degree from the same department in 2004.
Furu's research interests include natural language processing, information retrieval and machine learning. He is now working on fundamental NLP problems, models, algorithms and innovations. Particularly,
Web question answering, inference & reasoning, knowledge QA & social QA, with its application to web search engine and Siri-like system (September 2011 - )
Deep learning for NLP (esp. Sentiment Analysis, Question Answering, and Summarization) (September 2013 - )
Sentiment analysis in the era of Big Data: develop principled approaches (other than lexicon/learning based sentiment analysis approach) to sentiment analysis for Big Data (September 2012 - )
Sentiment anlaysis, esp. for social content (such as Tweets, FB updates, Sina Weibo etc.), multilingual sentiment analysis (incl. Chinese). (March 2011 - )
Semantic search and recommendation of social (network) content, such as Twitter, Facebook, Chinese Weibo etc. (November 2010 - )
EMAIL: fuwei AT microsoft DOT com
- Engkoo Answer (a.k.a. Project Light) (joint work with Nan Duan and Wei Wu) was demostrated at the Microsoft Innovation Day (2013/10/30)
- Light was awarded "Demo of Year" in MSRA FY13 Kickoff (2012/11/13)
- The brand-new general (multilingual) question answering engine (Project Light) was demostrated by Furu Wei in Dr. Hsiao-Wuen Hon's keynote speech in "Computing in the 21st Century" (2012/10/25)
March 2014: Our work on learning sentiment-specific word embedding for Twitter sentiment analysis was accepted by ACL 2014 as full oral paper.
March 2013: 1 (interesting) paper was accepted by AAAI 2013 as full oral paper. 1 paper was accepted by AAAI 2013 as late-breaking paper.
Nov. 2012: 3 papers was accepted by COLING 2012.
May 2012: Our work on twitter opinion summarization has been accepted by KDD'12 as a full paper in the industry track (the first twitter opinion summarization paper);
March 2012: Our work on multilingual sentiment analysis has been accepted by ACL 2012 as a full oral paper;
July 2011: Our work on Twitter sentiment analysis has been accepted by CIKM 2011 as a full oral paper (acceptance rate = 15%);
#: Students I mentored in MSRA.
- Li Dong#, Furu Wei, Yajuan Duan#, Xiaohua Liu, Ming Zhou and Ke Xu. The Automated Acquisition of Suggestions from Tweets. Proc. AAAI 2013.
- Dehong Gao#, Furu Wei, Wenjie Li, Xiaohua Liu and Ming Zhou. Co-training Based Bilingual Sentiment Lexicon Learning. Proc. AAAI 2013 (late-breaking paper).
- Xiaohua Liu, Yitong Li, HaochengWu, Ming Zhou, Furu Wei, Yi Lu. Entity Linking for Tweets. Proc. ACL 2013.
- Yajuan Duan#, Zhumin Chen, Furu Wei, Ming Zhou, Heung-Yeung Shum, Twitter Topic Summarization by Ranking Tweets Using Social Influence and Content Quality. Proc. COLING 2012.
- Xinfan Meng#, Furu Wei, Ge Xu, Xiaohua Liu, Ming Zhou and Houfeng Wang. Lost in Translations? Building Sentiment Lexicons using Context Based Machine translation. Proc. COLING 2012.
- Xiaohua Liu, Yitong Li, Furu Wei, and Ming Zhou: Graph-based Multi-Tweet Summarization Using Social Signals. Proc. COLING 2012.
- Xinfan Meng#, Furu Wei, Xiaohua Liu, Ming Zhou, and Houfeng Wang, Entity-Centric Topic-Oriented Opinion Summarization in Twitter. Proc. KDD 2012 (full paper, industry track).
- Xinfan Meng#, Furu Wei, Xiaohua Liu, Ming Zhou, Ge Xu, and Houfeng Wang, Cross-Lingual Mixture Model for Sentiment Classification. Proc. ACL 2012 (full oral paper).
- Xiaohua Liu, Ming Zhou, Furu Wei, Zhongyang Fu, and Xiangyang Zhou., Joint Inference of Named Entity Recognition and Normalization for Tweets. Proc. ACL 2012 (full oral paper).
- Xiaohua Liu, Furu Wei, and Ming Zhou, QuickView: NLP-based Tweet Search. Proc. of ACL 2012 (System Demonstration).
- Yajuan Duan#, Furu Wei, Ming Zhou and Heung-Yeung Shum, Graph-based Collective Classification for Tweets. Proc. of CIKM 2012.
- Xiaohua Liu, Zhongyang Fu, Xiangyang Zhou, Furu Wei, and Ming Zhou. Collective Nominal Semantic Role Labeling for Tweets. Proc. of AAAI 2012 (Full paper).
- Xiaohua Liu, Xiangyang Zhou, Zhongyang Fu, Furu Wei, and Ming Zhou. Exacting Social Events for Tweets Using A Factor Graph. Proc. of AAAI 2012 (Full paper).
- Mengdie Hu, Shixia Liu, Furu Wei, Yingcai Wu, John Stasko, and Kwan-Liu Ma. Breaking News on Twitter. Proc of CHI 2012. [Report]
- Xiaolong Wang#, Furu Wei, Xiaohua Liu, Ming Zhou, and Ming Zhang, Topic Sentiment Analysis in Twitter: A Graph-based Hashtag Sentiment Classification Approach, in CIKM (Full oral paper, acceptance rate = 15%), 2011
- Xiaohua Liu, Shaodian Zhang, Furu Wei, and Ming Zhou, Recognizing Named Entities in Tweets, in ACL (Full paper), 2011
- Xiaohua Liu, Long Jiang, Furu Wei, Ming Zhou, and QuickView Team Microsoft, QuickView: advanced search of tweets, in SIGIR (Demo paper), ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2011
- Wei Wang, Sujian Li, Jiwei Li, Wenjie Li, Furu Wei. 2013. Exploring hypergraph-based semi-supervised ranking for query-oriented summarization. Information Sciences, 237: 271–286.
- Xiaohua Liu, Furu Wei, Shaodian Zhang, and Ming Zhou. 2012. Named Entity Recognition for Tweets. ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST).
- Yangqiu Song, Shimei Pan, Shixia Liu, Furu Wei, Michelle X. Zhou, Weihong Qiang, Constrained Text Co-clustering with Supervised and Unsupervised Constraints. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering.
Publications before joining MSRA
- Furu Wei, Wenjie Li, and Yanxiang He. 2011. Document-Aware Graph Models for Query-Oriented Multi-Document Summarization. Multimedia Analysis, Processing and Communication, Z. Li, J. Kacprzyk, D. Tao, W. Lin, E. Izquierdo, and H. Wang, Eds. Springer-Verlag, Vol. 346, pp 655-678.
- Furu Wei, Wenjie Li, Qin Lu, and Yanxiang He. 2009. Applying Two-Level Mutual Reinforcement Ranking Algorithm in Query-Oriented Multi-document Summarization. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (JASIST), 60(9): 2119-2131.
- Furu Wei, Wenjie Li, and Shixia Liu. 2010. A Rank-Learn-Combine Framework for Unsupervised Ensemble Ranking. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (JASIST), 61(6): 1232 - 1243.
- Furu Wei, Wenjie Li, Qin Lu, and Yanxiang He. 2010. A Document-Sensitive Graph Model for Multi-Document Summarization. Knowledge and Information Systems (KAIS), 22(2): 245-259.
- Yingcai Wu, Furu Wei, Shixia Liu, Norman Au, Weiwei Cui, Hong Zhou and Huamin Qu. 2010. OpinionSeer: Interactive Visualization of Online Hotel Customer Feedback. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG) (Proc. InfoVis 2010), 16(6):1109 - 1118.
- Yingcai Wu, Thomas Provan, Furu Wei, Shixia Liu, and Kwan-Liu Ma. 2011. Semantic-Preserving Word Clouds by Seam Carving. Computer Graphics Forum: The International Journal of the Eurographics Association (Proc. EuroVis 2011), 30(3): 741-750.
- Weiwei Cui, Yingcai Wu, Shixia Liu, Furu Wei, Michelle X. Zhou. 2010. Context-preserving Dynamic Word Cloud Visualization. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications (IEEE CG&A), 30(6):42 - 53.
- Furu Wei, Shixia Liu, Yangqiu Song, Shimie Pan, Michelle X. Zhou, Weihong Qian, Lei Shi, Li Tan, Qiang Zhang. 2010. TIARA: A Visual Exploratory Text Analytic System. Proc. KDD, pp 153-162.
- Li Shi, Weihong Qian, Furu Wei, and Li Tan. 2010. VisWorks Network and Text Visual Analytics. Proc. VAST Challenge 2010 Award Entry, pp 269-270.
- Lei Shi, Furu Wei, Shixia Liu, Li Tan, Xiaoxiao Lian, and Zhou X Michelle. 2010. Understanding Text Corpora with Multiple Facets. Proc. VAST, pp 99-106. (Acceptance rate = 26 / 94 = 28%)
- Yangqiu Song, Shimei Pan, Shixia Liu, Furu Wei, Michelle X. Zhou, and Weihong Qian. 2010. Constrained Co-clustering for Textual Documents. Proc. AAAI, pp 581-586.
- Furu Wei, Wenjie Li and Yanxiang He. 2009. Co-Feedback Ranking for Query-focused Summarization. Proc. ACL, pp 117-120. (Short Paper, Acceptance rate = 25%).
- Furu Wei, Wenjie Li and Yanxiang He. 2009. iRANK: An Interactive Ranking Framework and Its Application in Query-Focused Summarization. Proc. CIKM, pp 1557-1560. (Short Paper, Acceptance rate = 20%)
- Wei Wang, Furu Wei, Wenjie Li and Sujian Li. 2009. HyperSum: A Hypergraph Based Semi-Supervised Sentence Ranking for Query-Oriented Summarization. Proc. CIKM, 1855-1858. (Short Paper, Acceptance rate = 20%)
- Furu Wei, Wenjie Li, Qin Lu, and Yanxiang He. 2008. Query-Sensitive Mutual Reinforcement Chain with Its Application in Query-Oriented Multi-Document Summarization. Proc. SIGIR, pp 283-290. (Full Paper, Acceptance rate = 85 / 496 = 17%).
- Wenjie Li, Peng Zhang, Furu Wei, Yuexian Hou, and Qin Lu. 2008. A Novel Feature-based Approach to Chinese Entity Relation Extraction. Proc. ACL, pp 89-92. (Short Paper, Acceptance rate = 25%).
- Wenjie Li, Furu Wei, Qin Lu, and Yanxiang He. 2008. PNR2: Ranking Sentence with Positive and Negative Reinforcement for Query-Oriented Update Summarization. Proc. COLING, pp 489-496. (Full Presentation Paper, Acceptance rate = 146 / 544 = 27%).
- Furu Wei, Wenjie Li, Qin Lu, and Yanxiang He. 2008. A Cluster-Sensitive Graph Model for Query-Oriented Multi-document Summarization. Proc. ECIR, pp 446-453.
- Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation in Hubei Province, China. Dec. 2010.
- "Effective interactive visualization of document contents" Award, IEEE VAST 2010 Challenge, Aug. 2010.
- Second prize of the 9th "Challenge Cup" National College Student Competition of Innovative Projects in Science and Technology (Software, Project lead), Dec. 2005.
- First Prize of CUMCM (China Undergraduate Mathematical Contest in Modeling) in Hubei Province, Dec. 2003.
- PC member: COLING 2012, ACL 2013, WWW 2013, WWW 2014, ACL 2014, ICWSM 2014, COLING 2014.
- Ruyao Wu (designer)
- Duyu Tang (PhD, HIT)
- Chuanqi Tan (Undergraduate -> PhD, Beijing University)
- Zhou Zhao (PhD, HKUST)
- Fengze Jiang (PhD, HUST)
- Xing Huang (Designer, Beihang University -> Master, PKU)
- Dehong Gao (PhD, Hongkong Polyu)
- Lijuan Liu (Master, Peking University -> Microsoft Bing Search (STCA))
- Zuohui Tian (Master, HIT)
- Li Dong (Undergraduate -> Master, Beihang University)
- Yaming Sun (Master -> PhD, HIT)
- Hong Sun (PhD, TJU & MSRA)
- Yajuan Duan (PhD, USTC & MSRA)
- Xinfan Meng (PhD, Peking University -> Facebook)
- Xiaolong Wang (Peking University -> Phd, UIUC)