My research is centered on network security, encompassing aspects of botnet detection, packet classification, deep packet payload analysis, network reliability, and optical network restoration. I enjoy working on real-world problems, building high speed software solutions with the assistance of emerging hardware technologies such as special memory and multi-core processors.
Ph.D., Computer Science University of California, Berkeley December 2006
M.S., Computer Science University of California, Berkeley December 2002
B.S., Computer Science Fudan University, Shanghai, China June 2000
HORNORS AND AWARDS
· Best Paper Award, Hot Interconnects 2004.
· Best Paper Award, International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP) 2004.
· Chun-Tsung scholarship sponsored by the Nobel Prize winner Tsung_Dao Lee, 1999.
Researcher (August 2006 - present), Microsoft Research, Silicon Valley
Current focus: network security and programmable hardware.
Graduate Student Researcher (August 2002 - August 2006) UC Berkeley
Research assistant in the OASIS Project: proposed and implemented gigabit rate deep packet inspection schemes for virus and worm filtering in the network using emerging hardware technologies.
Intern (May 2002 – August 2002) AT&T Labs Research
Intern in Transport Network Evolution Group: studied the restoration process in AT&T’s optical networks.
Graduate Student Instructor (August 2001 - May 2002) UC Berkeley
· Graduate student instructor for CS186 (Introduction to Database Systems).
· Graduate student instructor for EE112 (Introduction in Computer Networks).
Intern (January 2000 – August 2000) Microsoft Research, Asia
· Intern in Media Computing group: designed and implemented a quality adaptive web caching proxy for mixed media.
Research Assistant ( December 1997-December 1999) Shanghai International Database Research Center (SIDBRC)
Journal and Magazine Articles
· Fang Yu, Randy H. Katz, and T.V. Lakshman, “Efficient Multi-Match Packet Classification and Lookup with TCAM,” IEEE Micro magazine, February 2005.
· Fang Yu, Rakesh Sinha, Dongmei Wang, Guangzhi Li, John Strand, Robert Doverspike, Charles Kalmanek, and Bruce Cortez, “Improving Restoration Success in Mesh Optical Networks,” Journal of Optical Networks, December 2003.
· Sylvia Ratnasamy, Brad Karp, Scott Shenker, Deborah Estrin, Ramesh Govindan, Li Yin, and Fang Yu, “Data-centric storage in sensornets with GHT, a geographic hash table,” ACM Mobile Networks and Applications(MONET), Volume 8 Issue 4, August 2003.
· Fang Yu, Qian Zhang, Wenwu Zhu and Ya-Qin Zhang, “Qos adaptive Proxy Caching for Multimedia,” IEEE transactions on Circuits and Systems on Video Technology, March 2003.
Conference and Workshop Articles
· Fang Yu, Yinglian Xie, and Qifa Ke, "SBotMiner: Large Scale Search Bot Detection," in International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining(WSDM), Feb 2010.
· Yinglian Xie, Fang Yu, and Martin Abadi, “De-anonymizing the Internet Using Unreliable IDs, ” in ACM SIGCOMM, August 2009.
· Yao Zhao, Yinglian Xie, Fang Yu, Qifa Ke, Yuan Yu, Yan Chen, and Eliot Gillum, BotGraph: Large Scale Spamming Botnet Detection, in The 6th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI '09), USENIX, April 2009.
· Yinglian Xie, Fang Yu, Kannan Achan, Rina Panigrahy, Geoff Hulten, and Ivan Osipkov, “Spamming Botnets: Signatures and Characteristics?,” ACM SIGCOMM'08, August, 2008.
· John D. Davis, Zhangxi Tan, Fang Yu, and Lintao Zhang, "A Practical Reconfigurable Hardware Accelerator for Boolean Satisfiability Solvers," The 45th Design Automation Conference (DAC), June 8-13, 2008.
· John D. Davis, Zhangxi Tan, Fang Yu, and Lintao Zhang, "Designing an Efficient Hardware Implication Accelerator for SAT Solving," The Eleventh International Conference on Theory and Applications of Satisfiability Testing (SAT), May 12-15, 2008
· Yinglian Xie, Fang Yu, Kannan Achan, Eliot Gillum, Moises Goldszmidt, and Ted Wobber, “How dynamic are IP addresses?,” ACM SIGCOMM'07, August, 2007.
· Fang Yu, Zhifeng Chen, Yanlei Diao, T.V. Lakshman, and Randy H. Katz, “Fast and Memory-Efficient Regular Expression Matching for Deep Packet Inspection”, Symposium on Architectures for Networking and Communications Systems (ANCS), December 2006.
· Sailesh Kumar, Sarang Dharmapurikar, Fang Yu, Patrick Crowley, and Jonathan S. Turner, “Algorithms to Accelerate Multiple Regular Expression Matching for Deep Packet Inspection,” ACM SIGCOMM'06, September, 2006.
· Fang Yu, T.V. Lakshman, Martin Austin Motoyama, and Randy H. Katz, “SSA: A Power and Memory Efficient Scheme to Multi-Match Packet Classification,” Symposium on Architectures for Networking and Communications Systems (ANCS), October 2005.
· Rakesh K. Sinha, Fang Yu, Robert Doverspike, “Performance Study of Mesh Restoration,” Optical Fiber Communication. Conference (OFC/NFOEC0, March 2005.
· Fang Yu, Randy H. Katz, and T.V. Lakshman, “Gigabit Rate Packet Pattern Matching with TCAM,” IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP), October 2004. (best paper award)
· Fang Yu, Randy H. Katz, “Efficient Multi-Match Packet Classification with TCAM,” Hot Interconnects, August 2004. (best paper award)
· Fang Yu, Dongmei Wang, Rakesh Sinha, Guangzhi Li, Bob Doverspike and Chuck Kalmanek, “Hybrid Centralized/Distributed Approach to Optical Network Restoration,” Optical Fiber Communication Conference(OFC), March 2003.
· Sylvia Ratnasamy, Brad Karp, Li Yin, Fang Yu, Deborah Estrin, Ramesh Govindan, Scott Shenker, “GHT: A Geographic Hash Table for Data-Centric Storage,” First ACM International Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks and Applications (WSNA), September 2002.
· Fang Yu, Qian Zhang, Wenwu Zhu and Ya-Qin Zhang, “Network-Adaptive Cache Management Schemes for Mixed Media,” The first IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Multimedia (IEEEPCM 2001), November 2001.
· Fang Yu, Qian Zhang, Wenwu Zhu and Ya-Qin Zhang, “Qos-Adaptive Proxy Caching for Multimedia Streaming Over Internet,” The first IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Multimedia (IEEEPCM 2000), December 2000.
· Fang Yu, Rakesh K. Sinha, Robert Doverspike, Bruce Cortez, John Strand, “Link Selection Schemes for Avoiding Channel Contention,” Fourth International Workshop on the Design of Reliable Communication Networks (DRCN), October 2003.
· Shuigeng Zhou, Ye Fan, Jiangtao Hu, Fang Yu, and Yunfa Hu, “Hierarchically Classifying Chinese Web Documents Without Dictionary Support And Segmentation Procedure,” International Conference on Web-Age Information Management (in Cooperation with ACM SIGMOD) 2000, June 2000.
· Fang Yu and Wen Jin, “An Effective Approach to Mining Exception Class Association Rules (ECAR),” International Conference on Web-Age Information Management (in Cooperation with ACM SIGMOD) 2000, June 2000.
· Fang Yu, Yanlei Diao, Randy Katz, T. V. Lakshman, "Fast Packet Pattern Matching Algorithms," Algorithms for Next Generation Network Architecture, Springer Computer Communications and Networks Series, edited by Graham Cormode and Marina Thottan.
· Bruce Cortez, Bob Doverspike, Rakesh Sinha, John Strand, Fang Yu, “Novel Link Selection Schemes in Cross-Connects,” issued in June 2008.
· 9 patents filed with Microsoft from 2006 to 2009.
- Computer Networks Journal 2002, 2004
- JSAC Special Issue Paper 2003, 2005
- Journal of optical networking, 2003, 2004
- IEE Transaction on Computers, 2007, 2008
- IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
- Conference of the IEEE Communications Society (INFOCOM) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008
- Hot Interconnects 2003
- IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems 2005
- ACM SIGCOMM Special Interest Group on Data Communications 2005
Conference PC Member
- Conference of the IEEE Communications Society (INFOCOM) 2009, 2010
- ACM/IEEE Symposium on Architectures for Networking and Communications Systems (ANCS) 2009