Eric Chang joined Microsoft Research Asia (MSRA)in July, 1999 to work in the area of speech technologies. Eric is currently the Senior Director of Technology Strategy and Communications of MSR Asia, where his responsibilities include communications, IP portfolio management, and driving new research themes such as eHealth and urban informatics. Prior to his new responsibilities at MSR Asia, Eric co-founded Microsoft Advanced Technology Center (ATC) in 2003 as the Assistant Managing Director. At ATC, Eric led teams to ship features for Windows and Windows Mobile and started a multi-disciplinary incubation team. Previously, Eric was the research manager of the speech group at MSRA and the acting University Relations Director for one year. A technology transfer result from his group is the Chinese version of Office XP, which incorporates the Mandarin speech recognition engine developed at Microsoft Research Asia.
Prior to joining Microsoft Research, Eric was one of the founding members of the Research group at Nuance Communications, a pioneer in natural speech interface software for telecommunication systems. While at Nuance, Eric worked on various projects involving confidence score generation, acoustic modeling, and robust speech detection. He also led the technical effort to develop the Japanese version of the Nuance product. This project led to the world's first deployed Japanese natural language speech recognition system.
Eric has also developed speech recognition algorithms at M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratory, invented a new circuit optimization technique at Toshiba ULSI Research Center, and conducted pattern recognition research at General Electric Corporate Research and Development Center.
Eric graduated from M.I.T. with Ph.D., Master and Bachelor degrees, all in the field of electrical engineering and computer science. While at M.I.T., he was inducted into the honorary societies Tau Beta Pi and Sigma Xi.
Eric has published papers in the fields of eHealth, speech processing, and machine learning in various journals and conferences. He is the author of several granted and pending patents. His research interests are spoken language understanding, machine learning, and signal processing.
Editorial Board Member, Computer Speech and Language.
Visiting Professor, Nankai University and Zhejiang University
Program Committee Member, 6th National Conference on Man-Machine Speech Communication ((NCMMSC 2001).
Program Committee Member, International Symposium on Chinese Spoken Language Processing 2000.
Guest Lecturer, Tsinghua University and Peking University.
Reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing, NIPS, Computer Speech and Language.
Program Committee Member, Pervasive Health 2010
Industry Forum Chair, ChinaSIP 2013
Tutorial Chair and Program Committee Executives, IEEE International Conference on eScience 2013
- Yu Zheng, Xuxu Chen, Qiwei Jin, Yubiao Chen, Xiangyun Qu, Xin Liu, Eric Chang, Wei-Ying Ma, Yong Rui, and Weiwei Sun, A Cloud-Based Knowledge Discovery System for Monitoring Fine-Grained Air Quality , no. MSR-TR-2014-40, March 2014
- Yan Xu, Yining Wang, Jiantao Sun, Jianwen Zhang, Junichi Tsujii, and Eric I-Chao Chang, Building Large Collections of Chinese and English Medical Terms from Semi-structured and Encyclopedia Websites, in PLOS ONE, PLoS, 9 July 2013
- Yan Xu, Yining Wang, Jian-Tao Sun, Jianwen Zhang, Junichi Tsujii, and Eric Chang, Building Large Collections of Chinese and English Medical Terms from Semi-Structured and Encyclopedia Websites, in PLOS ONE, PLoS, 9 July 2013
- Yan Xu, Yining Wang, Tianren Liu, Junichi Tsujii, and Eric I-Chao Chang, An end-to-end system to identify temporal relation in discharge summaries: 2012 i2b2 challenge, in Journal of American Medical Informatics Association, BMJ Group, February 2013
- Yan Xu, Jianwen Zhang, Eric Chang, Maode Lai, and Zhuowen Tu, Contexts-Constrained Multiple Instance Learning for Histopathology Image Analysis (Oral), in International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), June 2012
- Yan Xu, Junichi Tsujii, and Eric Chang, Named entity recognition of follow-up and time information in 20,000 radiology reports, in Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 28 May 2012
- Yan Xu, Kai Hong, Junichi Tsujii, and Eric Chang, Feature engineering combined with machine learning and rule-based methods for structured information, in Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 14 May 2012
- Jun-Yan Zhu, Jiajun Wu, Yichen Wei, Eric Chang, and Zhuowen Tu, Unsupervised Object Class Discovery via Saliency-Guided Multiple Class Learning, in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2012
- Yan Xu, Yue Wang, Jiahua Liu, Zhuowen Tu, Jian-Tao Sun, Junichi Tsujii, and Eric Chang, Suicide Note Sentiment Classification: A Supervised Approach Augmented by Web Data, in Biomedical Informatics Insights, Libertas Academica, January 2012
- Yan Xu, Jun-Yan Zhu, Eric Chang, and Zhuowen Tu, Multiple Clustered Instance Learning for Histopathology Cancer Image Classification, Segmentation and Clustering, in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2012
- Yan Xu, Jiahua Liu, Jiajun Wu, Yue Wang, Zhuowen Tu, Jian-Tao Sun, Junichi Tsujii, and Eric Chang, A classification approach to coreference in discharge summaries: 2011 i2b2 challenge, in Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 2012
- Yan Xu, Yue Wang, Jiahua Liu, and Eric Chang, Sentiment Analysis of Suicide Notes Based OnExternal Resources (Rank 2), in Proceedings of the 2011 i2b2/VA/Cincinnati Workshop on Challenges in Natural Language Processing for Clinical Data, 2011
- Yan Xu, Jiahua Liu, Jiajun Wu, Yue Wang, and Eric Chang, EHUATUO: A Mention-pair Coreference System by Exploiting Document Intrinsic Latent Structures and World Knowledge in Discharge Summaries (Rank 1), in Proceedings of the 2011 i2b2/VA/Cincinnati Workshop on Challenges in Natural Language Processing for Clinical Data, 2011
- Eric Chang, Yan Xu, Kai Hong, Jianqiang Dong, and Zhaoquan Gu, A Hybrid Approach to Extract Structured Information from Narrative Clinical Discharge Summaries, in Proceedings of the 2010 i2b2/VA/Cincinnati Workshop on Challenges in Natural Language Processing for Clinical Data, October 2010
- Chao Huang, Yu Shi, Jianlai Zhou, Min Chu, Terry Wang, and Eric Chang, Segmental Tonal Modeling for Phone Set Design in Mandarin LVCSR, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., May 2004
- Yu Shi and Eric Chang, Studies in Massively Speaker-Specific Speech Recognition, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., May 2004
- Ye Tian, Jianlai Zhou, Min Chu, and Eric Chang, Tone Recognition with Fractionized Models and Outlined Features, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., May 2004
- Jian-lai Zhou, Ye Tian, Yu Shi, Chao Huang, and Eric Chang, Tone Articulation Modeling for Mandarin Spontaneous Speech Recognition, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., May 2004
- Frank Seide, Peng Yu, Chengyuan Ma, and Eric Chang, Vocabulary-Independent Search in Spontaneous Speech, in Proc. IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Montreal, 2004
- Yu Shi and Eric Chang, Spectrogram-Based Formant Tracking via Particle Filters, April 2003
- Peng Yu, Frank Seide, Chengyuan Ma, and Eric Chang, An Improved Model-Based Speaker Segmentation System, in Proc. Eurospeech, Geneva, 2003
- Kuan-Ting Chen, Shui-Lung Chuang, Frank Seide, Hsin-Min Wang, Lee-Feng Chien, and Eric Chang, New Word Learning for Spoken Document Processing Through Discovery of Comparable Texts from External Resources, in Proc. ISCA Workshop on Multilingual Spoken Document Retrieval, Hong Kong, 2003
- Eric Chang, Frank Seide, Helen M. Meng, Zhuoran Chen, Yu Shi, and Yuk-Chi Li, A System for Spoken Query Information Retrieval on Mobile Devices, in IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing, vol. 10, no. 8, November 2002
- Yu Shi, Eric Chang, Hu Peng, and Min Chu, Power Spectral Density Based Channel Equalization of Large Speech Database for Concatenative TTS System, September 2002
- Eric Chang, Yu Shi, Jianlai Zhou, and Chao Huang, Speech Lab in a Box: A Mandarin Speech Toolbox to Jumpstart Speech Related Research, October 2001