Microsoft Research Lab
#9 Lavelle Road
Phone: +91 80 6658 6073
Email: dhrumaha AT microsoft DOT com
I am an Applied Scientist at Microsoft Research India. My research interests include Machine Learning and Computer Vision. Specifically, I am interested in distributed and large scale Machine Learning and its application to real world problems in different domains (like computer vision).
Before joining MSR, I was a Research Scientist at Yahoo Research Bangalore from September 2009 to June 2012. I completed my Ph.D. from the Computer Science Department at Columbia University in 2009. My thesis advisors were Prof. Ravi Ramamoorthi and Prof. Peter Belhumeur. I did my Masters in CS from Columbia University in 2006 and undergrad. in Computer Science from Indian Institute Of Technology Delhi (IIT-Delhi) in 2004.
Chih-Jen Lin (Professor, National Taiwan University), Dhruv Mahajan (MSR India) and Vikas Sindhwani (IBM Research, Watson) are organizing a Mysore Park workshop on "Distributed Computing For Machine Learning and Optimization" from 18th December to 20th December 2013. The workshop details can be found here.
- Dhruv Mahajan, S. Sathiya Keerthi, and Sundararajan Sellamanickam, A Distributed Algorithm for Training Nonlinear Kernel Machines, CoRR, September 2014.
- Dhruv Mahajan, S. Sathiya Keerthi, and Sundararajan Sellamanickam, A distributed block coordinate descent method for training l1 regularized linear classifiers, CoRR, 2014.
- Nikhil Rasiwasia, Dhruv Mahajan, Vijay Mahadevan, and Gaurav Aggarwal, Cluster Canonical Correlation Analysis, AISTATS, 2014.
- Dhruv Mahajan, S. Sathiya Keerthi, Sundararajan Sellamanickam, and Leon Bottou, A Parallel SGD method with Strong Convergence, NIPS 2013 Workshop on Optimization for Machine Learning, 2013.
- Dhruv Mahajan, S. Sathiya Keerthi, Sundararajan Sellamanickam, and Leon Bottou, A Functional Approximation Based Distributed Learning Algorithm, CoRR, 2013.
- Shravan Narayanamurthy, Markus Weimer, Dhruv Mahajan, Tyson Condie, Sundararajan Sellamanickam, and S. Sathiya Keerthi, Towards Resource-Elastic Machine Learning, NIPS 2013 BigLearn Workshop, 2013.
- Dhruv Mahajan, Sundararajan Sellamanickam, Subhajit Sanyal, and Amit Madaan, A Classification Based Framework for Concept Summarization, International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM), December 2012.
- Dhruv Mahajan, Rajeev Rastogi, Charu Tiwari, and Adway Mitra, LogUCB: an explore-exploit algorithm for comments recommendation, ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM), 2012.
- Vinod Nair, Dhruv Mahajan, and Sundararajan Sellamanickam, A unified approach to learning task-specific bit vector representations for fast nearest neighbor search, International World Wide Web Conference, 2012.
- Nakul Verma, Dhruv Mahajan, Sundararajan Sellamanickam, and Vinod Nair, Learning hierarchical similarity metrics, Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2012.
- Dhruv Mahajan, Sundararajan Sellamanickam, Subhajit Sanyal, and Amit Madaan, A Classification Based Framework for Concept Summarization (Poster), International World Wide Web Conference, 2011.
- Dhruv Mahajan, Sundararajan Sellamanickam, and Vinod Nair, A joint learning framework for attribute models and object descriptions, International Conference on Computer Vision, 2011.
- Dhruv Mahajan and Malcolm Slaney, Image classification using the web graph, ACM Multimedia, 2010.
- Dhruv Mahajan, Fu-Chung Huang, Wojciech Matusik, Ravi Ramamoorthi, and Peter Belhumeur, Moving Gradients: A Path-Based Method for Plausible Image Interpolation, SIGGRAPH, 2009.
- Pieter Peers, Dhruv Mahajan, Bruce Lamond, Abhijeet Ghosh, Wojciech Matusik, Ravi Ramamoorthi, and Paul Debevec, Compressive Light Transport Sensing, ACM Transactions on Graphics, January 2009.
- Dhruv Mahajan, Ravi Ramamoorthi, and Brian Curless, A Theory of Spherical Harmonic Identities for BRDF/Lighting Transfer and Image Consistency, PAMI, February 2008.
- Dhruv Mahajan, Yu-Ting Tseng, and Ravi Ramamoorthi, An Analysis of the In-Out BRDF Factorization for View-Dependent Relighting , EGSR, 2008.
- Ravi Ramamoorthi, Dhruv Mahajan, and Peter Belhumeur, A First Order Analysis of Lighting, Shading, and Shadows , ACM Transactions on Graphics, January 2007.
- Dhruv Mahajan, Ira Kemelmacher Shlizerman, Ravi Ramamoorthi, and Peter Belhumeur, A Theory of Locally Low Dimensional Light Transport , SIGGRAPH, 2007.
- Dhruv Mahajan, Ravi Ramamoorthi, and Brian Curless, A Theory of Spherical Harmonic Identities for BRDF/Lighting Transfer and Image Consistency, European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV), 2006.
- Dhruv Mahajan, Nipun Kwatra, Sumit Jain, Prem Kalra, and Subhashis Banerjee, A framework for activity recognition and detection of unusual activities, ICVGIP, 2004.