I am a Researcher in the Microsoft Research Silicon Valley lab. My principal interests are in large-scale distributed and parallel computing. To that end, I am currently working on the Naiad project, in which we are building a new system for distributed computation that unifies iteration and incremental computation. Previously, I worked on CIEL (a distributed execution engine that was the subject of my PhD dissertation at the University of Cambridge Computer Lab) and Steno (which optimizes the code generated for declarative queries in DryadLINQ).
NEW: I started blogging on the Big Data at SVC blog, where my colleagues and I will be writing about Naiad and other developments in the distributed data processing space.
Email: derekmur at microsoft dot com
Post: 1065 La Avenida, Mountain View, CA 94043
- Derek G. Murray, Frank McSherry, Rebecca Isaacs, Michael Isard, Paul Barham, and Martin Abadi, Naiad: A Timely Dataflow System, in Proceedings of the 24th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP), ACM, 3 November 2013
- Martin Abadi, Frank McSherry, Derek G. Murray, and Thomas L. Rodeheffer, Formal Analysis of a Distributed Algorithm for Tracking Progress, in FMOODS-FORTE'13: 15th Formal Methods for Open Object-Based Distributed Systems and 33nd Formal Techniques for Networked and Distributed Systems, Springer, 3 June 2013
- Jean-Philippe Martin, Christopher J. Rossbach, Derek G. Murray, and Michael Isard, Supporting efficient aggregation in a task-based STM, in SFMA 2013, The 3rd Workshop on Systems for Future Multicore Architectures, 14 April 2013
- Frank McSherry, Derek G. Murray, Rebecca Isaacs, and Michael Isard, Differential dataflow, in Proceedings of CIDR 2013, 5 January 2013
- Frank McSherry, Rebecca Isaacs, Michael Isard, and Derek G. Murray, Composable Incremental and Iterative Data-Parallel Computation with Naiad, no. MSR-TR-2012-105, 9 October 2012
- Mihai Budiu, Jamie Shotton, Derek Murray, and Mark Finocchio, Parallelizing the Training of the Kinect Body Parts Labeling Algorithm, in BigLearn Workshop at NIPS, 16 December 2011
- Derek Gordon Murray, A distributed execution engine supporting data-dependent control flow, July 2011
- Derek G. Murray, Michael Isard, and Yuan Yu, Steno: Automatic Optimization of Declarative Queries, in Proceedings of the 32nd ACM SIGPLAN conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation (PLDI 2011), ACM SIGPLAN, 4 June 2011
- Derek G. Murray, Malte Schwarzkopf, Christopher Smowton, Steven Smith, Anil Madhavapeddy, and Steven Hand, CIEL: a universal execution engine for distributed data-flow computing, in Proceedings of NSDI 2011, USENIX, 30 March 2011
- Derek Gordon Murray, Grzegorz Milos, and Steven Hand, Improving Xen security through disaggregation, in Proceedings of the fourth ACM SIGPLAN/SIGOPS international conference on Virtual execution environments, 2008