I am a Post Doc Researcher in the Interactive 3D Technologies (I3D) group at Microsoft Research Cambridge. My current research focuses on novel input and output technologies for "Freeform 3D Interactions in Everyday Environments".
Natural User Interfaces (NUI) have received a great deal of attention in recent years. Much of this attention is around the Kinect and gaming in the living room. My research looks at ways of taking NUI out of the living room, into our everyday lives. Through the design, prototyping and evaluation of novel NUI systems, I am exploring how NUI can become truly ubiquitous, allowing such interactions to be incorporated into new user experiences and scenarios, in particular in rethinking traditional mobile and desktop interactions.
A secondary theme within my research is exploring the convergence of NUI with Augmented Reality (AR). Over the years we’ve seen AR technologies such as glasses, tracking and mapping, and mobile computing maturing. A less researched topic is how to make such AR technologies interactive. I’m interested in fusing together ideas from NUI with AR. These areas can be seen as very complimentary; NUI is focused on sensing new forms of input, and AR traditionally focuses on new forms of output. Bringing these two fields together can lead to new user experiences that radically change the way we interact and even think about computing systems.
Selected Research Projects
- D. Kim, O. Hilliges, S. Izadi, A. Butler, J. Chen, I. Oikonomidis, P. Olivier. Digits: Freehand 3D Interactions Anywhere Using a Wrist-Worn Gloveless Sensor. ACM UIST, Cambridge, MA, USA, Oct 2012 (Best Demo Award 2nd place)
- D. Molyneaux, S. Izadi, D. Kim, O. Hilliges, S. Hodges, X. Cao, A. Butler, and H. Gellersen. Interactive Environment-Aware Handheld Projectors for Pervasive Computing Spaces. PERVASIVE, Springer, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, Jun 2012 (Best Paper Award)
- O. Hilliges, D. Kim, S. Izadi, M. Weiss, A. Wilson. HoloDesk: Direct 3D Interactions with a Situated See-Through Display. ACM CHI, Austin, TX, USA, May 2012
- S. Izadi, D. Kim, O. Hilliges, D. Molyneaux, R. Newcombe, P. Kohli, J. Shotton, S. Hodges, D. Freeman, A. Davison, and A. Fitzgibbon. KinectFusion: Real-Time 3D Reconstruction and Interaction using a Moving Depth Camera. ACM UIST, Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Oct 2011
- R. Newcombe, S. Izadi, O. Hilliges, D. Molyneaux, D. Kim, A. Davison, P. Kohli, J. Shotton, S. Hodges, A. Fitzgibbon. Real-Time Dense Surface Mapping and Tracking with Kinect. IEEE ISMAR. Basel, Switzerland, Oct 2011 (Best Paper Award)
- A. Butler, O. Hilliges, S. Izadi, S. Hodges, D. Molyneaux, D. Kim, D. Kong. Vermeer: Direct Interaction with a 360° Viewable 3D Display. ACM UIST, Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Oct 2011
- A. Butler, S. Izadi, O. Hilliges, D. Molyneaux, S. Hodges, D. Kim. Shake'n'Sense: Reducing Interference for Overlapping Structured Light Depth Cameras. ACM CHI, Austin, TX, USA, May 2012 (Honorable Mention)
- D. Kim, P. Dunphy, P. Briggs, J. Hook, J. Nicholson, J. Nicholson, P. Olivier. Multi-Touch Authentication on Tabletops. ACM CHI, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, Apr 2010
- O. Hilliges, D. Kim, S. Izadi. Creating Malleable Interactive Surfaces using Liquid Displacement Sensing. IEEE Tabletop and Interactive Surfaces, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Oct 2008
- O. Hilliges, L. Terrenghi, S. Boring, D. Kim, H. Richter, A. Butz. Designing for Collaborative Creative Problem Solving. ACM Creativity & Cognition, Washington D.C., USA, Jun 2007
- Moving object segmentation using depth images (US 8401225 B2). Richard Newcombe, Shahram Izadi, Otmar Hilliges, David Kim, David Molyneaux, Jamie Daniel Joseph Shotton, Pushmeet Kohli, Andrew Fitzgibbon, Stephen Edward Hodges, David Alexander Butler.
- Real-time camera tracking using depth maps (US8401242 B2). Richard Newcombe, Shahram Izadi, David Molyneaux, Otmar Hilliges, David Kim, Jamie Daniel Joseph Shotton, Pushmeet Kohli, Andrew Fitzgibbon, Stephen Edward Hodges, David Alexander Butler.
- Authentication by multi-level pressure exertion on multi-touch tabletop interfaces. Paul Dunphy, David Kim, James Nicholson, John Nicholson, Jonathan Hook Pamela Briggs, Patrick Olivier
Other Co-authored Patent Applications
- Three-dimensional user interaction. 04 Nov 2010
- User interaction in augmented reality. 04 Nov 2010
- Augmented reality with direct user interaction. 04 Nov 2010
- Reducing interference between multiple infra-red depth cameras. 31 Jan 2011
- Mobile camera localization using depth maps. 31 Jan 2011
- Three-dimensional environment reconstruction. 31 Jan 2011
- Using a three-dimensional environment model in gameplay. 31 Jan 2011
- Human body pose estimation. 05 Mar 2011
- Generating computer models or 3d objects. 06 Jun 2011
- Distributed asynchronous localization and mapping for augmented reality. 06 Jun 2011
- Gesture recognition techniques. 06 Jun 2011
- Learning image processing tasks from scence reconstructions. 16 Dec 2011
- Wearable sensor for tracking articulated body-parts. 04 Oct 2012
- Grasping virtual objects in augmented reality. 17 Oct 2012