I am a Researcher at Microsoft Research; my work centers on information and data visualization. I'm interested in how users can make use of visualization to better make sense of their data. My projects have worked with professional data analysts, with end-users, and with people who just happen to have had a lot of information dumped in their laps. My background is in human-computer interaction and computer-supported cooperative work.
Some of my current interests include:
- Trying to better understand and enhance User Experiences with Big Data
- Getting interesting visualizations into users' hands with the Data Visualization Apps for Office
- Building ties between academia and industry practitioners at the IEEE Vis Conference
I received my MS from the University of California, Berkeley in 2000. I received my PhD from the University of California, Irvine in 2004, exploring social network analysis of email. I joined Microsoft Research in 2004; I work with the Visualization and Interaction for Business and Entertainment (MSR-VIBE) team.
- Todd Kulesza, Saleema Amershi, Rich Caruana, Danyel Fisher, and Denis Charles, Structured Labeling for Facilitating Concept Evolution in Machine Learning , in Proceedings of the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2014), ACM, May 2014
- Alex Bigelow, Steven Drucker, Danyel Fisher, and Miriah Meyer, Reflections on How Designers Design With Data, in AVI 2014 International Working Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces, ACM, May 2014
- Meredith Ringel Morris, Andreea Danielescu, Steven Drucker, Danyel Fisher, Bongshin Lee, m.c. schraefel, and Jacob O. Wobbrock, Reducing Legacy Bias in Gesture Elicitation Studies, in ACM Interactions Magazine, ACM, May 2014
- Badrish Chandramouli, Jonathan Goldstein, Mike Barnett, Robert DeLine, Danyel Fisher, John C. Platt, James F. Terwilliger, and John Wernsing, The Trill Incremental Analytics Engine, no. MSR-TR-2014-54, April 2014
- Danyel Fisher, The Thin Lines between Data Analysis and Surveillance: Reflections on a Research History, no. MSR-TR-2014-51, April 2014
- Nivan Ferreira, Danyel Fisher, and Arnd Christian König, Sample-Oriented Task-Driven Visualizations: Allowing Users to Make Better, More Confident Decisions, in Proceedings of Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2014), ACM, April 2014
- Jessica Hullman, Steven Drucker, Nathalie Henry Riche, Bongshin Lee, Danyel Fisher, and Eytan Adar, A Deeper Understanding of Sequence in Narrative Visualization, in Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG) Proceedings of Infovis 2013, IEEE, October 2013
- Robert Musson, Jacqueline Richards, Danyel Fisher, Christian Bird, Brian Bussone, and Sandipan Ganguly, Leveraging the Crowd: How 48,000 Users Helped Improve Lync Performance, in IEEE Software, IEEE, August 2013
- Mike Barnett, Badrish Chandramouli, Robert DeLine, Steven Drucker, Danyel Fisher, Jonathan Goldstein, Patrick Morrison, and John Platt, Stat! - An Interactive Analytics Environment for Big Data, in ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD 2013), ACM SIGMOD, June 2013
- Steven M. Drucker, Danyel Fisher, Ramik Sadana, Jessica Herron, and m.c. schraefel, TouchViz: A Case Study Comparing Two Interfaces for Data Analytics on Tablets, ACM Sig CHI 2013, 28 April 2013