I am an Researcher at Microsoft Research; my work centers on information and data visualization. I'm interested in how users can make use of visualization to better make sense of their data. My projects have worked with both professional data analysts, with end-users, and with people who just happen to have had a lot of information dumped in their laps. My background is in human-computer interaction and computer-supported cooperative work.
Some of my current interests include:
- Trying to better understand and enhance User Experiences with Big Data
- Getting interesting visualizations into users' hands with the Data Visualization Apps for Office
- Building ties between academia and industry practitioners at the IEEE Vis Conference
I received my MS from the University of California, Berkeley in 2000. I received my PhD from the University of California, Irvine in 2004, exploring social network analysis of email. I joined Microsoft Research in 2004; I work with the Visualization and Interaction for Business and Entertainment (MSR-VIBE) team.
- Mike Barnett, Badrish Chandramouli, Robert DeLine, Steven Drucker, Danyel Fisher, Jonathan Goldstein, Patrick Morrison, and John Platt, Stat! - An Interactive Analytics Environment for Big Data, in ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD 2013), ACM SIGMOD, June 2013
- Steven M. Drucker, Danyel Fisher, Ramik Sadana, Jessica Herron, and m.c. schraefel, TouchViz: A Case Study Comparing Two Interfaces for Data Analytics on Tablets, ACM Sig CHI 2013, 28 April 2013
- Petra Isenberg, Sharoda A. Paul, Meredith Ringel Morris, Kori Inkpen, and Mary Czerwinski, Co-located Collaborative Visual Analytics around a Tabletop Display, IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Volume 18 Issue 5, 5 May 2012
- Danyel Fisher, Igor Popov, Steven M. Drucker, and mc schraefel, Trust Me, I'm Partially Right: Incremental Visualization Lets Analysts Explore Large Datasets Faster, in Proceedings of the 2012 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2012), ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, 5 May 2012
- Danyel Fisher, Rob DeLine, Mary Czerwinski, and Steven Drucker, Interactions with Big Data Analytics, in ACM Interactions, ACM, May 2012
- Danyel Fisher, Incremental, Approximate Database Queries and Uncertainty for Exploratory Visualization, in IEEE Symposium on Large Data Analysis and Visualization, IEEE, 23 October 2011
- Steven M. Drucker, Danyel Fisher, and Sumit Basu, Helping Users Sort Faster with Adaptive Machine Learning Recommendations, in Proceedings of Interact 2011, Springer, September 2011
- Danyel Fisher, Steven Drucker, Roland Fernandez, and Xiaoji Chen, Vis-à-vis: A Visual Language for Spreadsheet Visualizations, no. MSR-TR-2011-142, June 2011
- Petra Isenberg, Danyel Fisher, Meredith Ringel Morris, Kori Inkpen, and Mary Czerwinski, An Exploratory Study of Co-located Collaborative Visual Analytics around a Tabletop Display, in Proceedings of Visual Analytics Science and Technology (VAST), IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA, USA, November 2010
- Danyel Fisher, Steven Drucker, Roland Fernandez, and Scott Ruble, Visualizations Everywhere: A Multiplatform Infrastructure for Linked Visualizations, in Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, IEEE, Salt Lake City, UT, November 2010