I am a researcher in the Human-Computer Interaction Group at Microsoft Research Asia, based in Beijing, China. My design-oriented research approach combines both empirical and abstract analysis of significant life activities, with a view to developing interactive systems that transform those activities for the better. In my work to date, this has led me to explore how technology can support learning and communication across a variety of domains, including second language learning, social exertion gaming, working at a desk, and presenting to an audience.
Prior to joining MSRA in 2008, I spent seven years at the University of Cambridge, first obtaining my undergraduate degree in Computer Science and Management Studies, before completing my PhD in the Rainbow Group at the Computer Laboratory supervised by Alan Blackwell. My PhD dissertation was the first work to explore the concept of "peripheral interaction" with objects on the boundary of the user's attention, and much of my ongoing work aims to facilitate similarly lightweight, episodic engagement with activities of significant personal and social value.
Contact me by email or through LinkedIn at http://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenkeithedge
Internship opportunities are available year-round.
- Darren Edge, Sumit Gulwani, Natasa Milic-Frayling, Mohammad Raza, Reza Adhitya Saputra, Chao Wang, and Koji Yatani, Mixed-Initiative Approaches to Global Editing in Slideware, in CHI 2015 Conference on Human Factors in Information Systems, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, April 2015.
- Bahador Saket, Sijie Yang, Hong Tan, Koji Yatani, and Darren Edge, TalkZones: Section-based Time Support for Presentations, in MobileHCI 2014 Conference on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, September 2014.
- Larissa Pschetz, Koji Yatani, and Darren Edge, TurningPoint: Narrative-Driven Presentation Planning, in CHI 2014 Conference on Human Factors in Information Systems, ACM, April 2014.
- Ha Trinh, Koji Yatani, and Darren Edge, PitchPerfect: Integrated Rehearsal Environment for Structured Presentation Preparation, in CHI 2014 Conference on Human Factors in Information Systems, ACM, April 2014.
- Darren Edge, Joan Savage, and Koji Yatani, HyperSlides: Dynamic Presentation Prototyping, in CHI 2013 Conference on Human Factors in Information Systems, ACM, 29 April 2013.
- Yefeng Liu, Darren Edge, and Koji Yatani, SidePoint: A Peripheral Knowledge Panel for Presentation Slide Authoring, in CHI 2013 Conference on Human Factors in Information Systems, ACM, 29 April 2013.
- Darren Edge, Kai-Yin Cheng, and Michael Whitney, SpatialEase: Learning Language through Body Motion, in CHI 2013 Conference on Human Factors in Information Systems, ACM, 29 April 2013.
- Darren Edge, Kai-Yin Cheng, Michael Whitney, Yao Qian, Zhijie Yan, and Frank Soong, Tip Tap Tones: Mobile Microtraining of Mandarin Sounds, in MobileHCI 2012 Conference on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services , ACM, 21 September 2012.
- Darren Edge, Stephen Fitchett, Michael Whitney, and James Landay, MemReflex: Adaptive Flashcards for Mobile Microlearning, in MobileHCI 2012 Conference on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services, ACM, 21 September 2012.
- Darren Edge, Elly Searle, Kevin Chiu, Jing Zhao, and James Landay, MicroMandarin: Mobile Language Learning in Context, in CHI 2011 Conference on Human Factors in Information Systems, ACM, 2011.
- Florian 'Floyd' Mueller, Martin R. Gibbs, Frank Vetere, and Darren Edge, Supporting the Creative Game Design Process with Exertion Cards, in CHI 2014 Conference on Human Factors in Information Systems, ACM, May 2014.
- Florian 'Floyd' Mueller, Martin Gibbs, Frank Vetere, Stefan Agamanolis, and Darren Edge, Designing Mediated Combat Play, in The 8th International Conference on Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction (TEI '14) , ACM, February 2014.
- Florian 'Floyd' Mueller, Frank Vetere, Martin Gibbs, Darren Edge, Stefan Agamanolis, Jennifer Sheridan, and Jeffrey Heer, Balancing Exertion Experiences, in CHI 2012 Conference on Human Factors in Information Systems , ACM, April 2012.
- Florian 'Floyd' Mueller, Darren Edge, Frank Vetere, Martin Gibbs, Stefan Agamanolis, Bert Bongers, and Jennifer Sheridan, Designing Sports: A Framework for Exertion Games, in CHI 2011 Conference on Human Factors in Information Systems , ACM, 2011.
- Florian 'Floyd' Mueller, Frank Vetere, Martin Gibbs, Darren Edge, Stefan Agamanolis, and Jennifer Sheridan, Jogging over a Distance between Europe and Australia, in UIST 2010 Conference on User Interface Software and Technology , ACM, 2010.
- Zhaoyuan Ma, Darren Edge, Leah Findlater, and Hong Tan, Haptic Keyclick Feedback Improves Typing Speed and Reduces Typing Errors on a Flat Keyboard, in 2015 IEEE World Haptics Conference (WHC), IEEE – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, June 2015.
- Darren Edge, The Form of Peripheral Interaction – A Framework for Experience Design, in CHI 2014 Workshop on Peripheral Interaction: Shaping the Research and Design Space, 2014.
- Alan Blackwell and Darren Edge, Articulating Tangible Interfaces, in TEI 2009 Conference on Tangible and Embedded Interaction, ACM, 2009.
- Darren Edge and Alan Blackwell, Peripheral Tangible Interaction by Analytic Design, in TEI 2009 Conference on Tangible and Embedded Interaction, ACM, 2009.
- Darren Edge and Alan Blackwell, Bimanual Tangible Interaction with Mobile Phones, in TEI 2009 Conference on Tangible and Embedded Interaction, ACM, 2009.
- Lydia Chilton, Greg Little, Darren Edge, Daniel Weld, and James Landay, Cascade: Crowdsourcing Taxonomy Creation, in CHI 2013 Conference on Human Factors in Information Systems, ACM, 29 April 2013.
- Xiang Cao, Abigail Sellen, AJ Brush, Dave Kirk, Darren Edge, and Xianghua Ding, Understanding Family Communication across Time Zones, in CSCW 2010 Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work, ACM, 2010.
- Darren Edge and Xianghua Ding, Directed Manipulation With Respect To Focal Rings, in BCS-HCI 2009 British HCI Group Annual Conference on People and Computers, British Computer Society, 2009.
- Darren Edge, Tangible User Interfaces for Peripheral Interaction, University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory Technical Report, 2008
- Alan Blackwell, Cecily Morrison, and Darren Edge, A Solid Diagram Metaphor for Tangible Interaction, in ACM CHI’07 Workshop on Tangible User Interfaces in Context and Theory, 2007
- Alan Blackwell, Gareth Bailey, Ignas Budvytis, Vincent Chen, Luke Church, Lorisa Dubuc, Darren Edge, Mattias Linnap, Vilius Naudziunas, and Hugh Warrington, Tangible Interaction in a Mobile Context, in ACM CHI’07 Workshop on Tangible User Interfaces in Context and Theory, 2007
- Darren Edge and Alan Blackwell, Correlates of the Cognitive Dimensions for Tangible User Interface, in Journal of Visual Languages and Computing (JVLC), 17(4), 2006
- Darren Edge, Alan Blackwell, and Lorisa Dubuc, The Physical World as an Abstract Interface, in Contemporary Ergonomics, PD Bust (Ed.), 2006
- Darren Edge, A Tangible User Interface for Peripheral Task Management, in IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing (VL/HCC), 2006
- Lorisa Dubuc and Darren Edge, TUIs to Ease: Tangible User Interfaces in Assistive Technology, in Cambridge Workshop on Universal Access and Assistive Technology (CWUAAT), 2006
- Alan Blackwell, Darren Edge, Lorisa Dubuc, Jennifer Rode, Mark Stringer, and Eleanor Toye, Using Solid Diagrams for Tangible Interface Prototyping, in IEEE Journal of Pervasive Computing, 4(4), 2005
- Darren Edge and Alan Blackwell, Cognitive Dimensions Tradeoffs in Tangible User Interface Design, in Cognitive Dimensions 10th Anniversary Workshop, 2005
MobileHCI 2014 Honourable Mention (Top 7 of 45 papers): TalkZones: Section-based Time Support for Presentations
CHI 2014 Honourable Mention (Top 5% of submissions): PitchPerfect: Integrated Rehearsal Environment for Structured Presentation Preparation
CHI 2014 Honourable Mention (Top 5% of submissions): TurningPoint: Narrative-Driven Presentation Planning
MobileHCI 2012 Best Paper (Top 2 of 54 papers): MemReflex: Adaptive Flashcards for Mobile Microlearning
MobileHCI 2012 Honourable Mention (Top 7 of 54 papers): Tip Tap Tones: Mobile Microtraining of Mandarin Sounds
CHI 2012 Honourable Mention (Top 5% of submissions): Balancing Exertion Experiences
Bing Dictionary Mobile. Technology transfer to the Microsoft Bing product group, released December 2013
Office Remote. Microsoft Research application for Windows Phone, released November 2013
Tip Tap Tones. Microsoft Research application for Windows Phone, released May 2012
Bing Dictionary Desktop. Technology transfer to the Microsoft Bing product group, released May 2011
Language Learning Games on WP7 and Kinect. Microsoft TechFest 2012 Public Day
NoteScape: Sticky Notes in Augmented Reality. Microsoft TechFest 2009 Public Day
World Haptics Conference Associate Editor: 2013, 2015
CHI Workshops Jury Member: 2015
Chinese CHI Program Committee Member: 2015
CHI Student Research Competition Jury Member: 2014
DIS Experience Subcommittee Associate Chair: 2014
CHI Design Subcommittee Associate Chair: 2013, 2014
WWW Program Committee Member: 2013
OzCHI Program Committee Member: 2011, 2012
Ubicomp Demos Co-chair: 2011
TEI Program Committee Member: 2009, 2010, 2011
Conference Reviewer: CHI, UIST, UbiComp, MobileHCI, ITS, TEI
Journal Reviewer: Journal of Visual Languages and Computing, Interacting with Computers, Pervasive and Mobile Computing, Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction
Darren Edge. Authoring Tools For Synthesizing Hybrid Slide-Canvas Presentations. Filed October 2014
Darren Edge & Ha Trinh. Presentation Rehearsal. Filed November 2013
Darren Edge, Koji Yatani & Genki Furumi. Media Presentation Effects. Filed September 2013
Darren Edge, Koji Yatani, Chao Wang & Reza Saputra. Selecting And Editing Visual Elements With Attribute Groups. Filed June 2013
Darren Edge & Hong Tan. Adaptive Timing Support for Presentations. Filed May 2013
Darren Edge & Koji Yatani. Dynamic Presentation Prototyping and Generation. Filed March 2013
Darren Edge, Matthew Scott & James Landay. Personalized Language Learning using Language and Learner Models. Filed November 2012
Darren Edge, Stephen Fitchett, Matthew Scott & Xianjun Huang. Adaptively-Spaced Learning System and Method. US 2012/0322043 A1, filed June 2011
Bennett Wilburn & Darren Edge. Indirect User Interaction with Desktop using Touch-Sensitive Control Surface. US 2011/0304557 A1, filed June 2010
Darren Edge & Min Wang. Focal-Control User Interface. US 2010/0229130 A1, filed March 2009, awarded August 2013
Darren Edge, Kyungmin Min & Eric Chang. Personal Media Landscapes in Mixed Reality. US 2010/0208033 A1, filed February 2009
Sitao Xiang, Tsinghua University, 2015
Yasmine Kotturi, UC San Diego, 2015
Shuo-Ping Wang, National Tsinghua University, 2015
Guangming Mao, Beihang University, 2015
Shiyin Wang, Peking University, 2015
Xiongjian Mo, Peking University, 2014
Geza Kovacs, Stanford University, 2014
Kaiying Liao, MIT, 2013 & 2014
Xiaojun Meng, National University of Singapore, 2014
Xi Yang, Cornell University & Hong Kong University, 2014
Dan Feng, Beijing Institute of Technology, 2014
Dajung Kim, KAIST, 2013
Larissa Pschetz, University of Edinburgh & University of Dundee, 2013
Genki Furumi, University of Tokyo, 2013
Bahador Saket, Multimedia University Malaysia, 2013
Sijie Yang, Indiana University Bloomington, 2013
Yuanyuan Wang, University of Hyogo, 2013
Ha Trinh, University of Dundee, 2012
Reza Saputra, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, 2012
Xiaolong Zhu, University of Hong Kong, 2012
Yefeng Liu, Wasede University, 2012
Joan M Savage, IUPUI, 2012
Huaishu Peng, CMU, 2011
Michael Whitney, University of North Carolina Charlotte, 2011
Kai-Yin Cheng, National Taiwan University, 2011
Lydia Chilton, MIT, 2011
Hyeongmook Lee, GIST, 2011
Daesung Kim, KAIST, 2011
Stephen Fitchett, University of Canterbury, 2010
Elly Searle, University of Washington, 2010
Kevin Chiu, MIT, 2010
Jae-Hyun Seok, KAIST, 2009
Florian Mueller, University of Melbourne, 2009
Ao Yuan, Peking University, 2009
Kyungmin Min, KAIST, 2008
Xianghua Ding, University of California Irvine, 2008
Katherine Kuan, MIT, 2008