I am primarily interested in the cryptographic applications of algorithmic number theory and computational algebraic geometry; in particular, curve-, pairing-, and lattice-based cryptography.
Previously I was a post-doc in the Cryptography Research Group at MSR, a post-doc in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Technische Universiteit Eindhoven in the Netherlands, a PhD student in the Information Security Institute at the Queensland University of Technology in Australia, twice an intern here at MSR, and a Fulbright Scholar visiting the Number Theory Group at the University of California, Irvine.
- Joppe W. Bos, Craig Costello, Michael Naehrig, and Douglas Stebila, Post-quantum key exchange for the TLS protocol from the ring learning with errors problem, no. MSR-TR-2014-107, 5 August 2014.
- Joppe Bos, Craig Costello, Patrick Longa, and Michael Naehrig, Specification of Curve Selection and Supported Curve Parameters in MSR ECCLib, no. MSR-TR-2014-92, 27 June 2014.
- Craig Costello, Alyson Deines-Schartz, Kristin Lauter, and Tonghai Yang, Constructing Abelian Surfaces for Cryptography via Rosenhain Invariants, no. MSR-TR-2014-78, 3 June 2014.
- Huseyin Hisil and Craig Costello, Jacobian Coordinates on Genus 2 Curves, no. MSR-TR-2014-76, 28 May 2014.
- Craig Costello, Huseyin Hisil, and Benjamin Smith, Faster Compact Diffie-Hellman: Endomorphisms on the x-line, in EUROCRYPT 2014, Springer Verlag, 11 May 2014.
- Joppe W. Bos, Craig Costello, Patrick Longa, and Michael Naehrig, Selecting Elliptic Curves for Cryptography: An Efficiency and Security Analysis, no. MSR-TR-2014-19, February 2014.
- Joppe W. Bos, Craig Costello, and Andrea Miele, Elliptic and Hyperelliptic Curves: a Practical Security Analysis, in Conference on Practice and Theory of Public-Key Cryptography (PKC), Springer, 2014.
- Joppe W. Bos, Craig Costello, Huseyin Hisil, and Kristin Lauter, High-Performance Scalar Multiplication using 8-Dimensional GLV/GLS Decomposition, in Workshop on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems - CHES 2013, Springer, August 2013.
- Joppe W. Bos, Craig Costello, and Michael Naehrig, Exponentiating in Pairing Groups, in Selected Areas in Cryptography 2013 (SAC 2013), Springer, August 2013.
- Joppe W. Bos, Craig Costello, Huseyin Hisil, and Kristin Lauter, Fast Cryptography in Genus 2, in Eurocrypt 2013, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, May 2013.
- C. Costello, Particularly Friendly Members of Family Trees, 2012.
- Craig Costello and Kristin Lauter, Group Law Computations on Jacobians of Hyperelliptic Curves, in Selected Areas in Cryptography, Springer, 2011.
- Craig Costello, Kristin Lauter, and Michael Naehrig, Attractive Subfamilies of BLS Curves for Implementing High-Security Pairings, in Progress in Cryptology -- INDOCRYPT 2011, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 7107, Springer Verlag, 2011.
- C. Costello, C. Boyd, J. M. González Nieto, and K. Koon-Ho Wong, Avoiding Full Extension Field Arithmetic in Pairing Computations, in AFRICACRYPT, 2010.
- Craig Costello, Michael Naehrig, and Tanja Lange, Faster Pairing Computations on Curves with High-Degree Twists, in Public Key Cryptography, Springer, 2010.
- C. Costello, C. Boyd, J. M. González Nieto, and K. Koon-Ho Wong, Delaying Mismatched Field Multiplications in Pairing Computations, in WAIFI, 2010.
- C. Costello and D. Stebila, Fixed Argument Pairings, in LATINCRYPT, 2010.
- C. Costello, H. Hisil, C. Boyd, J. M. González Nieto, and K. Koon-Ho Wong, Faster Pairings on Special Weierstrass Curves, in Pairing, 2009.