Current projects focus on social-cognitive aspects of social software, mobile social software, and enabling social collection and analysis of data.
I received my Ph.D. in Social and Personality Psychology from the University of Washington in 2002.
There I studied personality and the unique and stable patterns of emotion and behavior each person shows in response to social situations.
For additional publications, please see my personal page.
- Munmun De Choudhury, Scott Counts, Eric Horvitz, and Michael Gamon, Predicting Depression via Social Media., AAAI, July 2013
- Andres Monroy-Hernandez, danah boyd, Emre Kıcıman, Munmun De Choudhury, and Scott Counts, The New War Correspondents: The Rise of Civic Media Curation in Urban Warfare, in The 16th ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (CSCW), ACM, 23 February 2013
- Jiang Yang, Scott Counts, Meredith Ringel Morris, and Aaron Hoff, Microblog Credibility Perceptions: Comparing the United States and China, in Proceedings of CSCW 2013, ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, February 2013
- Andres Monroy-Hernandez, Emre Kıcıman, danah boyd, and Scott Counts, Tweeting the Drug War: Empowerment, Intimidation, and Regulation in Social Media, in HCIC, 25 June 2012
- Andres Monroy-Hernandez, Emre Kıcıman, danah boyd, and Scott Counts, “Narcotweets”: Social Media in Wartime (poster paper), in The 6th Intl. Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM), American Association for Artificial Intelligence , 4 June 2012
- Munmun De Choudhury, Scott Counts, and Michael Gamon, Not All Moods are Created Equal! Exploring Human Emotional States in Social Media., Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, June 2012
- Munmun De Choudhury, Michael Gamon, and Scott Counts, Happy, Nervous or Surprised? Classification of Human Affective States in Social Media, Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, June 2012
- Meredith Ringel Morris, Scott Counts, Aaron Hoff, Asta Roseway, and Julia Schwarz, Tweeting is Believing? Understanding Microblog Credibility Perceptions, in Proceedings of CSCW 2012, ACM, February 2012
- Munmun de Choudhury, Scott Counts, and Czerwinski, Find Me the Right Content! Diversity-based Sampling of Social Media Content for Topic-centric Search. , Int'l AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media , July 2011
- Munmun de Choudhury, Scott Counts, and Mary Czerwinski, Identifying relevant social media content: leveraging information diversity and user cognition, HT '11, June 2011
- Tim Paek, Michael Gamon, Scott Counts, David Maxwell Chickering, and Aman Dhesi, Predicting the Importance of Newsfeed Posts and Social Network Friends, American Association for Artificial Intelligence , July 2010
- Kurt Luther, Scott Counts, Kristin B. Stecher, Aaron Hoff, and Paul Johns, Pathfinder: an online collaboration environment for citizen scientists, in CHI '09: Proceedings of the 27th international conference on Human factors in computing systems, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2009
- Kristin Stecher and Scott Counts, Spontaneous inference of personality traits and effects on memory for online profiles, American Association for Artificial Intelligence , 2008
- kristin stecher and scott counts, Thin Slices of Online Profile Attributes, American Association for Artificial Intelligence , 2008
- David Fono and Scott Counts, Sandboxes: Supporting Social Play through Collaborative Multimedia Composition on Mobile Phones, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., November 2006
- Scott Counts and Geraci John, Incorporating Physical Co-presence at Events into Digital Social Networking, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., June 2006
- Jonathan Grudin and Scott Counts, As Technophobia Disappears: Implications for Design, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., November 2005
- Scott Counts and Eric Fellheimer, Supporting Social Presence through Lightweight Photo Sharing On and Off the Desktop, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., April 2004
- Scott Counts, Shelly Farnham, and Lili Cheng, Two Methods for Auto-Organizing Personal Web History, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., April 2003
- Scott Counts and Jonathan Grudin, Supporting Engagement in Asynchronous Education , Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., April 2003
- Andrew Fiore, Scott Counts, and Marc A. Smith, Observed Behavior and Perceived Value of Authors in Usenet Newsgroups: Bridging the Gap , Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., April 2002
- Michael F. Cohen, R. Alex Colburn, Steven M. Drucker, Anoop Gupta, and Scott LeeTiernan, Graphical Enhancements for Voice Only Conference Calls, no. MSR-TR-2001-95, October 2001
- Scott Counts and Jonathan Grudin, Fostering Engagement in Asynchronous Learning through Collaborative Multimedia Annotation , IOS Press, July 2001
- Scott LeeTiernan, Edward Cutrell, Mary Czerwinski, and Hunter Hoffman, Effective Notification Systems Depend On User Trust, IOS Press, July 2001