I am a member of the Singularity Project at Microsoft Research. My interests include programming languages, operating systems, and security. I am particularly interested in the use of safe programming languages as operating systems, and I have worked to integrate features traditionally associated with operating systems into safe programming language environments.
- Will You Still Compile Me Tomorrow? Static Cross-Version Compiler Validation, Chris Hawblitzel, Shuvendu Lahiri, Kshama Pawar, Hammad Hashmi, Sedar Gokbulut, Lakshan Fernando, Dave Detlefs, and Scott Wadsworth. In FSE 2013.
- Differential Assertion Checking, Shuvendu Lahiri, Ken McMillan, Rahul Sharma, and Chris Hawblitzel. In FSE 2013.
- Towards Modularly Comparing Programs using Automated Theorem Provers, Chris Hawblitzel, Ming Kawaguchi, Shuvendu K. Lahiri, and Henrique Rebelo. In CADE 2013.
- SymDiff: A language-agnostic semantic diff tool for imperative programs, Shuvendu Lahiri, Chris Hawblitzel, Ming Kawaguchi, and Henrique Rebelo. In CAV Tools 2012.
- Safe to the Last Instruction: Automated Verification of a Type-Safe Operating System, Jean Yang and Chris Hawblitzel. In PLDI 2010 (received best paper award). Other files and links:
- Inferable Object-Oriented Typed Assembly Language, Ross Tate, Juan Chen, and Chris Hawblitzel. In PLDI 2010.
- Helios: Heterogeneous Multiprocessing with Satellite Kernels, Edmund B. Nightingale, Orion Hodson, Ross McIlroy, Chris Hawblitzel, and Galen Hunt. In SOSP 2009.
- Automated Verification of Practical Garbage Collectors, Chris Hawblitzel and Erez Petrank. In POPL 2009. (pptx slides)
- Type-Preserving Compilation for Large-Scale Optimizing Object-Oriented Compilers, Juan Chen, Chris Hawblitzel, Frances Perry, Mike Emmi, Jeremy Condit, Derrick Coetzee, and Polyvios Pratikakis. In PLDI 2008.
- Checking the Hardware-Software Interface in Spec#, Kevin Bierhoff and Chris Hawblitzel. In PLOS 2007.
- Simple and Flexible Stack Types, Frances Perry, Chris Hawblitzel, and Juan Chen. In IWACO 2007.
- Sealing OS Processes to Improve Dependability and Safety, Galen Hunt, Chris Hawblitzel, Orion Hodson, James Larus, Bjarne Steensgaard, and Ted Wobber. In EuroSys 2007.
- A Garbage-Collecting Typed Assembly Language, Chris Hawblitzel, Heng Huang, Lea Wittie, and Juan Chen. In TLDI 2007. (associated proofs and code are here, extended technical report is here).
- Deconstructing Process Isolation, Mark Aiken, Manuel Fähndrich, Chris Hawblitzel, Galen Hunt, and James R. Larus. In MSPC 2006.
- Language Support for Fast and Reliable Message-based Communication in Singularity OS, Manuel Fähndrich, Mark Aiken, Chris Hawblitzel, Orion Hodson, Galen Hunt, James R. Larus, and Steven Levi. In EuroSys 2006.
- Linear types for aliased resources (extended technical report), Chris Hawblitzel. Oct. 2005. (associated proofs are here). Short paper (pdf) in SPACE 2006.
- Low-Level Linear Memory Management. Chris Hawblitzel, Edward Wei, Heng Huang, Eric Krupski, and Lea Wittie. In SPACE 2004.
- Luna: a Flexible Java Protection System. Chris Hawblitzel and Thorsten von Eicken. In OSDI, 2002.
- Adding Operating System Structure to Language-Based Protection. Chris Hawblitzel (Ph.D. thesis, Cornell University). June 30, 2000.
- Type System Support for Dynamic Revocation. Chris Hawblitzel and Thorsten von Eicken. In WCSSS 1999.
- Implementing Multiple Protection Domains in Java. C. Hawblitzel, C-C. Chang, G. Czajkowski, D. Hu, and T. von Eicken. USENIX Annual Technical Conference, 1998.
- Low Latency Communication on the IBM RS/6000 SP. C-C. Chang, G. Czajkowski, C. Hawblitzel, and T. von Eicken. ACM/IEEE Supercomputing (SC96), 1996.
- External Review Committee, POPL 2013
- Program Committee Co-chair, CPP 2012
- External Review Committee, PLDI 2012
- Program Committee, RESoLVE 2012
- Program Committee, POPL 2012
- Program Committee, TLDI 2012
- Program Committee, CPP 2011
- Program Committee, PLPV 2011
- Program Committee, SSV 2011
- Program Committee, SAVCBS 2010
- Program Committee, SSV 2010
where x = Chris
and y = Hawblitzel
and z = microsoft