Chris Brockett is a software development engineer in the Natural Language Processing Group. He is currently working on automated acquisition and generation of paraphrases, and unscripted generation of conversational interaction.
- Jiwei Li, Michel Galley, Chris Brockett, Jianfeng Gao, and Bill Dolan, A Diversity-Promoting Objective Function for Neural Conversation Models, in NAACL HLT 2016 (forthcoming), March 2016.
- Michel Galley, Chris Brockett, Alessandro Sordoni, Yangfeng Ji, Michael Auli, Chris Quirk, Margaret Mitchell, Jianfeng Gao, and Bill Dolan, deltaBLEU: A Discriminative Metric for Generation Tasks with Intrinsically Diverse Targets, in Proceedings of the 53rd Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics and the 7th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing (Volume 2: Short Papers), Association for Computational Linguistics, Beijing, China, July 2015.
- Alessandro Sordoni, Michel Galley, Michael Auli, Chris Brockett, Yangfeng Ji, Meg Mitchell, Jian-Yun Nie, Jianfeng Gao, and Bill Dolan, A Neural Network Approach to Context-Sensitive Generation of Conversational Responses, Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics – Human Language Technologies (NAACL-HLT 2015), 1 June 2015.
- Xiaohu Liu, Ruhi Sarikaya, Chris Brockett, Chris Quirk, and William Dolan, Paraphrase features to improve natural language understanding, in Interspeech 2013, , 2013.
- Stanley Kok and Chris Brockett, Hitting the Right Paraphrases in Good Time, in Human Language Technologies: The 2010 Annual Conference of the North American Chapter of the ACL., Association for Computational Linguistics, June 2010.
- Claudia Leacock, Michael Gamon, and Chris Brockett, User Input and Interactions on Microsoft Research ESL Assistant, ACL/SIGPARSE, June 2009.
- Michael Gamon, Claudia Leacock, Chris Brockett, William B. Dolan, Jianfeng Gao, Dmitriy Belenko, and Alexandre Klementiev, Using Statistical Techniques and Web Search to Correct ESL Errors, in Calico Journal, Vol 26, No. 3, CALICO Journal, June 2009.
- Michael Gamon, Jianfeng Gao, Chris Brockett, Alexander Klementiev, William Dolan, Dmitriy Belenko, and Lucy Vanderwende, Using Contextual Speller Techniques and Language Modeling for ESL Error Correction. Proceedings of IJCNLP, Hyderabad, India. , Asia Federation of Natural Language Processing, January 2008.
- Chris Brockett, ALIGNING THE RTE 2006 CORPUS, no. MSR-TR-2007-77, June 2007.
- Kristina Toutanova, Chris Brockett, Michael Gamon, Jagadeesh Jagarlamundi, Hisami Suzuki, and Lucy Vanderwende, The Pythy Summarization System: Microsoft Research at DUC 2007, in Proceedings of DUC-2007, Association for Computational Linguistics, April 2007.
- Lucy Vanderwende, Hisami Suzuki, Chris Brockett, and Ani Nenkova, Beyond SumBasic: Task-Focused Summarization with Sentence Simplification and Lexical Expansion, in Information Processing and Management, Volume 43 , Issue 6, pages 1606-1618 , 2007.
- Chris Brockett, William B. Dolan, and Michael Gamon, Correcting ESL Errors Using Phrasal SMT Techniques, in 21st International Conference on Computational Linguistics and 44th Annual Meeting of the ACL, Sydney, Australia, Association for Computational Linguistics, 2006.
- William B. Dolan and Chris Brockett, Automatically Constructing a Corpus of Sentential Paraphrases, in Third International Workshop on Paraphrasing (IWP2005), Asia Federation of Natural Language Processing, 2005.
- Chris Brockett and William B. Dolan, Support Vector Machines for Paraphrase Identification and Corpus Construction, in Third International Workshop on Paraphrasing (IWP2005), Asia Federation of Natural Language Processing, 2005.
- William Dolan, Chris Quirk, and Chris Brockett, Unsupervised Construction of Large Paraphrase Corpora: Exploiting Massively Parallel News Sources, International Conference on Computational Linguistics, August 2004.
- Chris Quirk, Chris Brockett, and William B. Dolan, Monolingual Machine Translation for Paraphrase Generation, Association for Computational Linguistics, July 2004.
- Chris Brockett, Takako Aikawa, Anthony Aue, Arul Menezes, Chris Quirk, and Hisami Suzuki, English-Japanese Example-Based Machine Translation Using Abstract Semantic Representations, International Conference on Computational Linguistics, October 2002.
- Eric Brill, Gary Kacmarcik, and Chris Brockett, Automatically Harvesting Katakana-English Term Pairs from Search Engine Query Logs, Asia Federation of Natural Language Processing, November 2001.
- Simon Corston-Oliver, Michael Gamon, and Chris Brockett, A Machine Learning Approach to the Automatic Evaluation of Machine Translation, Association for Computational Linguistics, January 2001.
- Gary Kacmarcik, Chris Brockett, and Hisami Suzuki, Robust Segmentation of Japanese Text into a Lattice for Parsing, DFKI GmbH, August 2000.
- Hisami Suzuki, Chris Brockett, and Gary Kacmarcik, Using a Broad-Coverage Parser for Word-Breaking in Japanese, DFKI GmbH, August 2000.
- 1991 Ph.D. Linguistics, Cornell University
- 1979 M.A. Modern Japanese Literature, Waseda University
- 1973 B.A. Asian Languages and Literatures, Auckland University