I am a senior researcher in the Computer Vision Group at Microsoft Research Cambridge/UK. My interests are in the areas:
- Physics-based scene recovery and understanding: 2D/3D Matting, Stereo, Object Recognition, intrinsic images, light estimnation, 3D reconstruction
- (Markov) Random Field Models for Computer Vision and their discrete Optimization
- Vision for Graphics: Image and Video Editing, Manipulation, Segmentation, Synthesis
- Our BMVC 12 paper which combines PatchMatch and Belief Propagation (PMBP) won the Best Industrial Impact Prize award.
- Our Regression Tree Fields (RTF) work (ECCV '12) improves considerbly state-of-the art for image denoising techniques.
- I launched a new group, together with Shahram Izadi, called I3D: Interactive 3D Technologies
- Talks from the workshop are now online: At the intersection of Vision, Graphics, Learning and Sensing - Representations and Applications
- Our book: "Markov Random Fields for Vision and Image Processing", MIT Press is now available.
- OPEN POSITIONS:
I am looking for motivated students who wants to pursue a PhD in one of the following topic:
- Microsoft / Max Planck PhD position: 3D understanding --- see flyer
An extension of GrabCut shipped with Office 2010 (powerpoint, word, outlook, excel) and is called Background Removal ... (see info). Note, a Technical Report is available which discusses details of it.
AutoCollage 2008 - a Microsoft Research product ... click here
- Olympus Award 2009
- Best Industrial Impact Prize award: PatchMatchBP. BMVC 2012
- Best paper award: Learning an Interactive Segmentation system, Indian Conference on Computer Vision, 2011.
- Best paper honorable mention award: Image-based 3D modelling with Eno Toeppe, Martin Oslwald, and Daniel Cremers. ACCV 2010.
- Best paper honorable mention award: Do life-logging technologies support memory for the past? An experimental study. CHI 2007.
- Best paper honorable mention award: Bi-layer segmentation of binocular stereo video. CVPR 2005.
Martin Kiefel (MPI Tuebingen) | Frederic Besse (UCL) | Michael Hornacek (TU Vienna) | Eno Toeppe (TU Munich) | Mikhail Sindeyev (Moscow State University) | Uwe Schmitt (TU Darmstadt) | Lena Tretyak (MPI Tuebingen)
Graduated PhD students
Area Chair: ECCV 2012, ICCV 2011, DAGM 2010-12, BMVC 2009-12
Reviewer: Siggraph, CVPR, ECCV, ICCV, PAMI, IJCV, Eurographics, BMVC, DAGM, etc.
- Advanced Computer Vision Course at Camnbridge Univeristy (Spring 2012)
(slides for all lectutres can be found here)
- Tractable Higher Order Models in Computer Vision (tutorial CVPR '10)
- MAP Inference in Discrete Models at various places: tutorials:
ICCV '09, DAGM '10; Microsoft Moscow Summer School; Sport and Vision Summer
School (ETH zuerich 2009/2010); INRIA Vision and ML Summer School;
- Workshop on interactive computer vision at ICCV '07. see Webpage.
- Workshop on Color and Reflectance in Computer Vision at ICCV '09. see Webage.
- Frederic Besse, Carsten Rother, Andrew Fitzgibbon, and Jan Kautz, PMBP: PatchMatch Belief Propagation for Correspondence Field Estimation , in BMVC - Best Industrial Impact Prize award, 2012
- Jeremy Jancsary, Sebastian Nowozin, and Carsten Rother, Loss-Specific Training of Non-Parametric Image Restoration Models: A New State of the Art, in 12th European Conference on Computer Vision, Springer, 2 August 2012
- Michael Bleyer, Christoph Rhemann, and Carsten Rother, Extracting 3D Scene-consistent Object Proposals and Depth from Stereo Images, in ECCV, October 2012
- Alexander Shekhovtsov, Pushmeet Kohli, and Carsten Rother, Curvature Prior for MRF-based Segmentation and Shape Inpainting, in DAGM 2012, 2012
- Hannes Nickisch, Carsten Rother, Pushmeet Kohli, and Christoph Rhemann, Learning an Interactive Segmentation System, in BEST PAPER AWARD. Indian Conference on Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing (ICVGIP) 2010, November 2010
- Carsten Rother and Pushmeet Kohli, Sparse Higher Order Functions of Discrete Variables --- Representation and Optimization, no. MSR-TR-2011-45, April 2011
- Carsten Rother, Vladimir Kolmogorov, Yuri Boykov, and Andrew Blake, Interactive Foreground Extraction using graph cut, no. MSR-TR-2011-46, March 2011
- Stephan Meister, Shahram Izadi, Pushmeet Kohli, Martin H¨ammerle, Carsten Rother, and Daniel Kondermann, When Can We Use KinectFusion for Ground Truth Acquisition?, in Workshop on Color-Depth Camera Fusion in Robotics, IROS, 2012, 2012
- Peter Gehler, Carsten Rother, Martin Kiefel, Lumin Zhang, and Bernhard Schoelkopf, Recovering Intrinsic Images with a Global Sparsity, in Annual Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS), 2011