I am a Senior Research Software Design Engineer in the Systems and Networking Area at Microsoft Research Redmond. Since joining Microsoft in 1994 I have worked on a variety of projects, including Microsoft Interactive Television, IPv6, Mesh, DAIR, Hawaii, and many other research projects. I originated Microsoft’s IPv6 effort, and co-wrote the IPv6 protocol stack that was included in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. While working on Mesh routing I helped invent LQSR and prepared the Mesh Connectivity Layer (MCL) codebase for MSR’s Mesh Academic Resource Kit. I am also the author of the popular “TCP Analyzer Expert” add-on for Microsoft’s Network Monitor tool.
I am the co-author of over 20 academic research papers and 2 standards-track Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFCs. I am an inventor on over a dozen issued US Patents and several more pending patent applications. Before joining Microsoft I was a Research Developer at Carnegie Mellon University, where I worked on the Nectar gigabit networking project.
- Ratul Mahajan, Jitu Padhye, Sharad Agarwal, and Brian Zill, High performance vehicular connectivity using opportunistic erasure coding, in USENIX Annual Technical Conference, USENIX, 13 June 2012.
- Siddhartha Sen, Jacob R. Lorch, Richard Hughes, Carlos Garcia Jurado Suarez, Brian Zill, Weverton Cordeiro, and Jitendra Padhye, Don’t Lose Sleep Over Availability: The GreenUp Decentralized Wakeup Service, in Proceedings of the 9th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI), USENIX, April 2012.
- Siddhartha Sen, Jacob R. Lorch, Richard Hughes, Carlos Garcia, Brian Zill, Weverton Cordeiro, and Jitendra Padhye, GreenUp: A Decentralized System for Making Sleeping Machines Available, no. MSR-TR-2012-21, March 2012.
- Ratul Mahajan, Jitendra Padhye, Sharad Agarwal, Abhinav Jain, and Brian Zill, E PluriBus Unum: High Performance Connectivity on Buses -- Extended version, no. MSR-TR-2009-76, 19 June 2009.
- Ratul Mahajan, Jitendra Padhye, Ramya Raghavendra, and Brian Zill, Eat All You Can in an All-You-Can-Eat Buffet: A Case for Aggressive Resource Usage, in HotNets-VII, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., October 2008.
- Rohan Murty, Jitendra Padhye, Ranveer Chandra, Alec Wolman, and Brian Zill, Designing High Performance Enterprise Wi-Fi Networks, in Networked Systems Design & Implementation (NSDI), USENIX, April 2008.
- Ratul Mahajan, John Zahorjan, and Brian Zill, Understanding WiFi-based Connectivity From Moving Vehicles, in Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), November 2007.
- Ranveer Chandra, Jitendra Padhye, Alec Wolman, and Brian Zill, A Location-based Management System for Enterprise Wireless LANs, in USENIX Networked Systems Design & Implementation (NSDI), USENIX, April 2007.
- Paramvir Bahl, Ranveer Chandra, Jitendra Padhye, Alec Wolman, and Brian Zill, Enhancing the Security of Corporate Wi-Fi Networks Using DAIR, in ACM/USENIX Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services (MobiSys), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., June 2006.
- Galen C. Hunt, Mark Aiken, Paul Barham, Manuel Fahndrich, Chris Hawblitzel, Orion Hodson, James R. Larus, Steven Levi, Nick Murphy, Bjarne Steensgaard, David Tarditi, Ted Wobber, and Brian D. Zill, Sealing OS Processes to Improve Dependability and Security, no. MSR-TR-2006-51, April 2006.
- Jitu Padhye, Sharad Agarwal, Venkat Padmanabhan, Lili Qiu, Ananth Rao, and Brian Zill, Estimation of Link Interference in Static Multi-hop Wireless Networks, in IMC, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 19 October 2005.
- Galen Hunt, James R. Larus, Martin Abadi, Mark Aiken, Paul Barham, Manuel Fahndrich, Chris Hawblitzel, Orion Hodson, Steven Levi, Nick Murphy, Bjarne Steensgaard, David Tarditi, Ted Wobber, and Brian D. Zill, An Overview of the Singularity Project, no. MSR-TR-2005-135, October 2005.
- Richard Draves, Jitendra Padhye, and Brian Zill, Routing in Multi-radio, Multi-hop Wireless Mesh Networks, in MobiCom, September 2004.
- Richard Draves, Jitendra Padhye, and Brian Zill, Comparison of Routing Metrics for Static Multi-Hop Wireless Networks, in SIGCOMM, August 2004.
- Richard P. Draves, Christopher King, Srinivasan Venkatachary, and Brian D. Zill, Constructing Optimal IP Routing Tables, in Proceedings of the Eighteenth Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (IEEE INFOCOM '99), March 1999.
- Richard P. Draves, Allison Mankin, and Brian D. Zill, Implementing IPv6 for Windows NT, in Proceedings of the 2nd USENIX Windows NT Symposium, August 1998.
- Karl Kleinpaste, Peter Steenkiste, and Brian Zill, Software Support for Outboard Buffering and Checksumming, SIGCOMM 1995
- Peter Steenkiste, Michael Hemy, Todd W. Mummert, and Brian Zill, Architecture and Evaluation of High-Speed Networking Subsystem for Distributed-Memory Systems, ISCA 1994
- Peter Steenkiste, Brian Zill, H. T. Kung, Steven Schlick, Jim Hughes, Bob Kowalski, and John Mullaney, A Host Interface Architecture for High-Speed Networks, HPN, 1992
- H. T. Kung, Robert D. Sansom, Steven Schlick, Peter Steenkiste, Matthieu Arnould, Francois J. Bitz, Fred Christianson, Eric C. Cooper, Onat Menzilcioglu, Denise Ombres, and Brian Zill, Network-based multicomputers: an emerging parallel architecture, Supercomputing 1991
- Eric Cooper, Peter Steenkiste, Robert Sansom, and Brian Zill, Protocol implementation on the Nectar communication processor, SIGCOMM 1990