Microsoft Research Asia
Email: [alias] borje.karlsson
I've joined the Mobile and Sensing Systems Group at Microsoft Research Asia in late 2012. My main interest areas are mobile and context-aware systems, digital entertainment, and data pipelines/analytics, but my research work also covers aspects of software engineering and testing.
Before joining Microsoft Research I was a Research Scientist at Nokia Institute of Technology (INdT), a Nokia-founded R&D lab in Brazil. I received my doctorate in Computer Science from PUC-Rio in 2010 and my BSc from UFPE. My old website can be found at DI/PUC-Rio.
I also have experience as System/Software Architect, as well as leading development teams as team leader and product owner, working on projects for companies such as C.E.S.A.R., Motorola, Nokia, and Petrobras.
- Chieh-Jan Mike Liang, Börje F. Karlsson, Nicholas D. Lane, Feng Zhao, Junbei Zhang, Zheyi Pan, Zhao Li, and Yong Yu, SIFT: Building an Internet of Safe Things, in IPSN (International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks), ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, April 2015.
- Ranveer Chandra, Börje F. Karlsson, Nicholas D. Lane, Chieh-Jan Mike Liang, Suman Nath, Jitu Padhye, Lenin Ravindranath, and Feng Zhao, How to Smash the Next Billion Mobile App Bugs?, in GetMobile: Mobile Computing and Communications, vol. 19, no. 1, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, January 2015.
- Chieh-Jan Mike Liang, Börje F. Karlsson, Nicholas D. Lane, Junbei Zhang, Zheyi Pan, Zhao Li, and Feng Zhao, SIFT: Towards an Internet of Safe Things, no. MSR-TR-2014-136, 20 October 2014.
- Börje F. Karlsson and Antonio L. Furtado, Conceptual Model and System for Genre-Focused Interactive Storytelling, in ICEC (International Conference on Entertainment Computing), Springer, October 2014.
- Chieh-Jan Mike Liang, Nicholas D. Lane, Niels Brouwers, Li Zhang, Börje F. Karlsson, Hao Liu, Yan Liu, Jun Tang, Xiang Shan, Ranveer Chandra, and Feng Zhao, Caiipa: Automated Large-scale Mobile App Testing through Contextual Fuzzing, in MobiCom (International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking), ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, September 2014.
- Ranveer Chandra, Börje F. Karlsson, Nicholas D. Lane, Chieh-Jan Mike Liang, Suman Nath, Jitu Padhye, Lenin Ravindranath Sivalingam, and Feng Zhao, Towards Scalable Automated Mobile App Testing, no. MSR-TR-2014-44, January 2014.
- Mark Billinghurst and Börje F. Karlsson, SIGGRAPH Asia 2013: Symposium on Mobile Graphics and Interactive Applications (MGIA 2013), ACM, December 2013.
- Karla Okada, Börje F. Karlsson, Laura Sardinha, and Tomaz Noleto, ContextPlayer: Learning contextual music preferences for situational recommendations, in Proceedings of SIGGRAPH Asia 2013 Symposium on Mobile Graphics and Interactive Applications, ACM, November 2013.
- Chieh-Jan Mike Liang, Nicholas D. Lane, Niels Brouwers, Li Zhang, Börje F. Karlsson, Ranveer Chandra, and Feng Zhao, Contextual Fuzzing: Automated Mobile App Testing Under Dynamic Device and Environment Conditions, no. MSR-TR-2013-100, March 2013.
- Technical program committee:
- 2014: ACM SIGGRAPH Asia's
Symposium on Mobile Graphics and Interactive Applications (MGIA) Chair.
- 2013: MGIA Chair; SBGames tutorials co-chair.
- 2012: SIGGRAPH Operations sub-committee.
- IEEE WoWMoM, SBC RITA (2015), IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, Mobiquitous (2014), MobiCASE (2013).
- Zheyi Pan ('14/'15 SJTU, Joint PhD at MSRA)
- Jiancheng Li ('14/'15 Beihang U.)
- Zhaoming Wu ('13 Tsinghua, Co-advised with Nic Lane)
- Hang Wu ('13 Tsinghua, Co-advised with Nic Lane)