4 Freshwater Place
3006 Southbank, Melbourne
Tel: +61 (3) 83205929
I am an applied researcher at Bing where I'm conducting research in information retrieval and web search problems. I am mainly interested in query refinements and other query/document mismatch problems.
Before joining Microsoft, I worked at Sensis.com.au as a Relevance Expert for 18 months, after graduating from RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia, with a PhD under the supervision of Justin Zobel, Hugh Williams and Falk Scholer. The title of my PhD thesis was "Efficient Query Expansion".
- Nick Craswell, Bodo Billerbeck, Dennis Fetterly, and Marc Najork, Robust Query Rewriting using Anchor Data, in 6th ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM), ACM, February 2013.
- David Sontag, Kevyn Collins-Thompson, Paul N. Bennett, Ryen White, Susan Dumais, and Bodo Billerbeck, Probabilistic Models for Personalizing Web Search, in WSDM 2012: Fifth International Conference on Web Search and Data Miniing, ACM, February 2012.
- Bodo Billerbeck, Nick Craswell, Dennis Fetterly, and Marc Najork, Microsoft Research at TREC 2011 Web Track, in Proc. of the 20th Text Retrieval Conference (TREC), National Institute of Standards and Technology , November 2011.
- Bodo Billerbeck, Gianluca Demartini, Claudiu S. Firan, Tereza Iofciu, and Ralf Krestel, Ranking Entities Using Web Search Query Logs, in 14th European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries (ECDL 2010), Springer, September 2010.
- Bodo Billerbeck, Gianluca Demartini, Claudiu S. Firan, Tereza Iofciu, and Ralf Krestel, Exploiting Click-Through Data for Entity Retrieval, in 33rd Annual ACM SIGIR Conference, ACM, July 2010.
- F. Scholer, M. Shokouhi, A. Turpin, and B. Billerbeck, Using Clicks as Implicit Judgments: Expectations Versus Observations, in Proceedings of the 30th European Conference on Information Retrieval, Glasgow, UK, 2008.
- A. Turpin, F. Scholer, B. Billerbeck, and L. A. Abel, Examining the Pseudo-Standard Web Search Engine Results Page, in Proc. of the Eleventh Australasian Document Computing Symposium, Brisbane, Australia, December 2006.
- B. Billerbeck and J. Zobel, Efficient Query Expansion with Auxiliary Data Structures, in Information Systems, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 573–584, Elsevier, Oxford, UK, November 2006.
- B. Billerbeck and J. Zobel, Document Expansion versus Query Expansion for Ad-hoc Retrieval, in Proceedings of the Tenth Australasian Document Computing Symposium, Sydney, Australia, December 2005.
- B. Billerbeck, Efficient Query Expansion, Melbourne, Australia, 2005.
- Y. Bernstein, B. Billerbeck, S. Garcia, N. Lester, F. Scholer, J. Zobel, and W. Webber, RMIT University at TREC 2005: Terabyte and Robust Track, in Proceedings Text Retrieval Conference (TREC), National Institute of Standards and Technology , 2005.
- B. Billerbeck, A. Cannane, A. Chatteraj, N. Lester, W. Webber, H. E. Williams, J. Yiannis, and J. Zobel, RMIT University at TREC 2004, in Proceedings Text Retrieval Conference (TREC), National Institute of Standards and Technology Special Publication 500-261, Gaithersburg, MD, November 2004.
- B. Billerbeck and J. Zobel, Techniques for Efficient Query Expansion, in Proc. String Processing and Information Retrieval Symposium, Springer, Padova, Italy, September 2004.
- B. Billerbeck and J. Zobel, Questioning Query Expansion: An Examination of Behaviour and Parameters, in Proc. Australasian Database Conf., Australian Computer Society, Inc., 2004.
- B. Billerbeck and J. Zobel, When query expansion fails, in Proceedings of the 26th annual international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and development in informaion retrieval, ACM Press, July 2003.
- B. Billerbeck, F. Scholer, H. E. Williams, and J. Zobel, Query expansion using associated queries, in Proceedings of the twelfth international conference on information and knowledge management, ACM Press, 2003.