Asta works as a Senior Research Designer providing User Experience solutions around emerging technologies pertaining to HCI, Collaborative Computing, and Data Visualization. She first joined MSR in 1997 working for the Virtual Worlds Group. In 2000, she joined the Next Media Group under Curtis Wong where she worked on a variety of projects ranging from interactive television and photo experiences to collaborating with WGBH in Boston to create a rich online experience for the award winning documentary "Commanding Heights". A few years later, she left Research to work with MSN on synchronous communication applications for teens which eventually migrated into Windows where she became the User Experience lead for Windows Live Messenger. She then went on to join Live Labs in 2008 to work on contextual search experiences for consumers. She has recently rejoined her peers in Research and continues to pursue her passion around emerging technologies and more recently, wearables.
She is a Parsons School of Design alumni.
- Munmun de Choudhury, Michael Gamon, Aaron Hoff, and Asta Roseway, "Moon Phrases": A Social Media Facilitated Tool for Emotional Reflection and Wellness., European Alliance for Innovation, May 2013
- john c tang, Robert Xiao, aaron hoff, gina venolia, patrick therien, and asta roseway, HomeProxy: Exploring a Physical Proxy for Video Communication in the Home, in CHI 2013, ACM Conference on Computer-Human Interaction, 29 April 2013
- Rupa Patel, Andrea Hartzlinger, Mary Czerwinski, Wanda Pratt, Anthony Back, and Asta Roseway, Leveraging Visual Feedback from Social Signal Processing to Enhance Clinicians’ Nonverbal Skills, ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, April 2013
- Felecia Davis, Asta Roseway, Erin Carroll, and Mary Czerwinski, Actuating mood: design of the textile mirror, in TEI '13: Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction, ACM, February 2013
- John C. Tang, Jennifer Marlow, Aaron Hoff, Asta Roseway, Kori Inkpen, Chen Zhao, and Xiang Cao, Time Travel Proxy: Using Lightweight Video Recordings to Create Asynchronous, Interactive Meetings, in CHI 2012, ACM Conference on Computer-Human Interaction, 5 May 2012
- Kori Inkpen, Honglu Du, Asta Roseway, Aaron Hoff, and Paul Johns, Video Kids: Augmenting Close Friendships with Asynchronous Video Conversations in VideoPal, in CHI 2012, ACM, May 2012
- Jeremy T. Barksdale, Kori Inkpen, Mary Czerwinski, Aaron Hoff, Paul Johns, Asta Roseway, and Gina Venolia, Video Threads: Asynchronous Video Sharing for Temporally Distributed Teams, in CSCW 2012, ACM, February 2012
- Meredith Ringel Morris, Scott Counts, Aaron Hoff, Asta Roseway, and Julia Schwarz, Tweeting is Believing? Understanding Microblog Credibility Perceptions, in Proceedings of CSCW 2012, ACM, February 2012
- Daniel McDuff, Amy Karlson, Ashish Kapoor, Asta Roseway, and Mary Czerwinski, AffectAura: An Intelligent System for Emotional Memory, in CHI 2012, ACM, 2012
- Honglu Du, Kori Inkpen, Konstantinos Chorianopoulos, Mary Czerwinski, Paul Johns, Aaron Hoff, Asta Roseway, Sarah Morlidge, John Tang, and Tom Gross, VideoPal: Exploring Asynchronous Video-Messaging to Enable Cross-Cultural Friendships, in ECSCW 2011, Springer, 26 September 2011
- Sheridan Martin Small and Asta Roseway, The Printing Dress, International Symposium on Wearable Computers, June 2011
- Kori Inkpen, Honglu Du, Asta Roseway, Aaron Hoff, Paul Johns, Mary Czerwinski, Aaron Hoff, Paul Johns, Brian Meyers, Konstantinos Chorianopoulos, Tom Gross, and Peter Ljungstrand, VideoPal: An Asynchronous Video Based Communication System, in Demo at CSCW 2011, Microsoft Research, March 2011
- Kori Inkpen, Sasa Junuzovic, Asta Roseway, John Tang, and Zhengyou Zhang, (demo) AIRMobile: Accelerated Instant Replay for In-Meeting Review by Mobile Users, in CSCW 2011, ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, March 2011
- Steven M. Drucker, Tim Regan, Asta Roseway, and Markus Lofstrom, The Visual Decision Maker: a recommendation system for collocated users, in Proceedings of the 2005 conference on Designing for User eXperience, AIGA: American Institute of Graphic Arts, San Francisco, California, 2005
- Steven M. Drucker, Curtis Wong, Asta Roseway, Steve Glenner, and Steve De Mar, MediaBrowser: reclaiming the shoebox, in Proceedings of the working conference on Advanced visual interfaces, ACM New York, NY, USA, 2004
|Social Search Social Builds Bridges
With a pair of conferences occurring in the Seattle region in consecutive weeks, Microsoft Research Connections took the weekend between them to host a social for attendees to network, to exchange views, and to nurture research collaborations.
|Video: Wearable Technology in the Microsoft CES booth: Pt1
The Printing Dress from Microsoft Research made its public debut during CES 2012.
|Video: An Interview with Asta Roseway at Microsoft Research
Asta Roseway of Microsoft Research recently collaborated with User Experience Designer Sheridan Martin Small of Xbox on a project called The Printing Dress, which won Best Concept and Best in Show at ISWC 2011 in San Francisco.