Arjmand Samuel, Principal Program Manager
Arjmand Samuel is a Principal Program Manager at Microsoft, working in the Microsoft Azure Internet of Things team. In his current role, Arjmand leads the security and privacy efforts for Microsoft Azure IoT Suite, a cloud-based offering with preconfigured solutions that address common Internet of Things scenarios.
In his previous role, Arjmand led external academic collaborations around devices and services research for Microsoft Research where he developed programs and research initiatives to harness the power of the Internet of Things, comprising of sensors and devices deployed in places we work, play and live in. His other research projects included software architectures and programming paradigms for devices of all shapes and forms. He has published in a variety of publications on topics of security, privacy, location aware access control and innovative use of mobile technology.
Prior to this, Arjmand was the security lead for Microsoft Windows Live, shipping two versions of Windows Live Messenger and associated services. Arjmand was faculty at the Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Science and Engineering (GIKI), teaching computer science and engineering courses; and faculty at Center of Advanced Studies in Engineering (CASE). Arjmand was co-founder of Evolving Technologies (Pvt) Ltd, a startup for delivering bulk and interactive SMS-based advertising. He was also co-founder and founding manager of Center for Information Technology Development, Pakistan Aeronautical Complex.
Currently, Arjmand is a graduate faculty advisor at the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Purdue University, advising PhD students working in the areas of privacy and security. Arjmand represents Microsoft Corporation on the Corporate Advisory Board, Computer Science Department, Purdue University. He also holds an affiliate faculty position at the University of Washington.
Arjmand has a bachelors degree in avionics engineering from NED University of Engineering and Technology, Pakistan; a masters degree in control engineering from Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, China; and a PhD in Information Security from Purdue University, USA.
- Project Catapult: Catapult is a Microsoft project investigating the use of field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) to improve performance, reduce power consumption, and provide new capabilities in the datacenter. Arjmand led the design, development and execution of the academic research outreach for this project.
- Lab of Things: Lab of Things (LoT) is a flexible platform for experimental research that uses connected devices in homes and beyond. Arjmand co-led this project from its inception to deployment at scale for academic research.
- Project Hawaii: Project Hawaii is set of services designed for cloud-enhanced mobile applications that access a set of cloud services and Windows Azure for computation and data storage. Arjmand led the design, development and execution of academic outreach of Project Hawaii.
- TouchDevelop: TouchDevelop allows you to create apps everywhere on all your devices! For Windows Phone and the web. In the TouchDevelop programming environment you write scripts by tapping on the screen. Arjmand co-led the academic outreach for this project.
- Software Engineering Innovation Foundation: Software Engineering Innovation Foundation (SEIF) encouraged academic research in software engineering technologies, tools, practices, and teaching methods. Arjmand led and co-led SEIF for four years.
Chaired workshop: First Project Catapult workshop, July 10th 2015, Redmond, Washington. See event page
Chaired workshop: Research on an IoT Platform, May 12th 2015, Devices and Networking Summit 2015, Paris, France. Event page.
Chaired workshop: Functional Materials and Process Enabled Device Electronics, May 12th 2015, Devices and Networking Summit 2015, Paris, France. Event page.
Invited talk: Paris Tech Days 2015, February 10th 2015, Paris, France. "Microsoft Research Lab of Things : From IoT Research and Prototyping, to Deploying at Scale". Event page.
Chaired workshop: Lab of Things Workshop 2014, July 16, 2014, Redmond, Washington, United States. Event page
Interviewed during Research in Focus session: New Hope for People Living with Paralysis, View video
Chaired session and talk: In-situ Research Using Connected Devices—Challenges and Opportunities, at Microsoft Research Faculty Summit 2014, Redmond, WA, July 14-15 2014. View video
Chaired session and talk: Lab of Things: An Internet of Things Research Platform at the Latin American Faculty Summit 2014, Vina del Mar, Chile, May 7-9 2014. View video
Keynote talk: Software Engineering Challenges and Opportunities in the Age of Internet of Things at the Software Engineering Innovation Foundation Brazil Workshop 2013, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, November 25-26, 2013
Chaired session: Towards a Research Platform for Internet of Things (IoT) at the Microsoft Research Faculty Summit 2013. View video.
Co-authored book: touchdevelop — programming on the go by Nigel Horspool (University of Victoria), Judith Bishop, Arjmand Samuel, Nikolai Tillmann, Michał Moskal, Jonathan de Halleux, Manuel Fähndrich (Microsoft Research). Read book
IEEE Computer Society Webinar - Developing Mobile Apps on the Go – TouchDevelop for all Platforms by Arjmand Samuel, Nikolai Tillmann and Peli de Halleux. February 21st 2013. View recorded Webinar
Chaired First TouchDevelop Workshop 2013 at Mountain View, CA, USA. February 14-15 2013. Visit workshop website
Keynote presentation: Putting the Cloud in your Hands – Marriage of Cloud Computing with Smart Devices, 4th Annual Software as a Service/Cloud Computing Conference, UNC Charlotte, April 25th 2012
Invited talk: Project Hawaii - A Research Perspective at Open Data for Open Science 2012, Redmond, WA, USA, April 4-6 2012.
Invited Talk: Project Hawaii: Mobile and Cloud, Seminar at Great Lake Consortium for Petascale Computing, NCSA (UIUC) on March 28th, 2011
Invited Talk: Hawaii - Project Companion for Cloud-enabled Mobile Computing, Co-located with SIGCSE 2011, Dallas, Texas, March 9th 2011.
- Business value award at Microsoft Garage Science Fair, 2012 for Listen-n-Feel (2012)
- 2008 Burton D Morgan Business Plan Competition, Gold Division for IPrivacy Manager, Purdue University
- 2005 TechPoint MIRA Award for Knowledge Projection Project (KPP) at Department of Computer Science, Purdue University
- Management Excellence Award for Original and Innovative work at PAC, Kamra, Pakistan (2000)
- Pakistan Aeronautical Complex Academic Scholarship for Masters in Engineering at P.R of China (1994)
- Sword of Honor for All Round Best Performance in Undergraduate studies, College of Aeronautical Engineering, Risalpur, Pakistan (1989)
- Arjmand Samuel, Dean Mohamedally, Nilanjan Banerjee, A. J. Brush, Ratul Mahajan:
Lab of Things in Education. GetMobile 19(1): 18-24 (2015)
- Arjmand Samuel, Muhammad I. Sarfraz, Hammad Haseeb, Saleh Basalamah, Arif Ghafoor:
A Framework for Composition and Enforcement of Privacy-Aware and Context-Driven Authorization Mechanism for Multimedia Big Data. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia 17(9): 1484-1494 (2015)
- Christian Bock, Thai Le, Arjmand Samuel, Danny Huang, Hilaire J. Thompson, George Demiris:
Visualizing Sensor Data through an Open Platform for Connected Devices. MedInfo 2015: 964
- Arjmand Samuel, A. J. Bernheim Brush, Ratul Mahajan: Lab of Things: Building a Research Platform for Connected Devices in the Home and Beyond. GetMobile 18(4): 37-40 (2014)
- Kelvin Sung, Arjmand Samuel: Mobile application development classes for the mobile era. ITiCSE 2014: 141-146
- A. J. Bernheim Brush, Evgeni Filippov, Danny Huang, Jaeyeon Jung, Ratul Mahajan, Frank Martinez, Khurshed Mazhar, Amar Phanishayee, Arjmand Samuel, James Scott, Rayman Preet Singh: Lab of things: a platform for conducting studies with connected devices in multiple homes. UbiComp (Adjunct Publication) 2013: 35-38
- Muhammad Shahzad, Alex X. Liu, Arjmand Samuel: Secure unlocking of mobile touch screen devices by simple gestures: you can see it but you can not do it. MOBICOM 2013: 39-50
- Rayman Preet Singh, A. J. Bernheim Brush, Evgeni Filippov, Danny Huang, Ratul Mahajan, Khurshed Mazhar, Amar Phanishayee, Arjmand Samuel: HomeLab: a platform for conducting experiments with connected devices in the home. SIGCOMM 2013: 493-494
- Nikolai Tillmann, Michal Moskal, Jonathan de Halleux, Manuel Fhndrich, Judith Bishop, Arjmand Samuel, Tao Xie: The future of teaching programming is on mobile devices. ITiCSE 2012: 156-161
- Yong Liu, Pratch Piyawongwisal, Sahil Handa, Liang Yu, Yan Xu, Arjmand Samuel: Going Beyond Citizen Data Collection with Mapster: A Mobile+Cloud Real-Time Citizen Science Experiment. e-Science Workshops 2011: 1-6
- Ahmed K. Elmagarmid, Arjmand Samuel, Mourad Ouzzani: Community-Cyberinfrastructure Enabled Discovery in Science and Engineering. Computing in Science and Engineering 10(5): 46-53 (2008)
- Arjmand Samuel, Arif Ghafoor, Elisa Bertino: Context-Aware Adaptation of Access-Control Policies. IEEE Internet Computing 12(1): 51-54 (2008)
- Rafae Bhatti, Arjmand Samuel, Mohammad Y. Eltabakh, Haseeb Amjad, Arif Ghafoor, "Engineering a Policy-Based System for Federated Healthcare Databases", IEEE Transactions of Data and Knowledge Engineering (TKDE), Volume 19, Number 9, pp1288-1304, September 2007
- Arjmand Samuel, Shahab Baqai, Arif Ghafoor, "XML-Based Policy Engineering Framework for Heterogeneous Network Management", APNOMS 2007, LNCS 4773, pp. 244253, 2007.
- Basit Shafiq, Arjmand Samuel, Elisa Bertino, Arif Ghafoor "A Secure and Adaptive System for Management of Workflows with Temporal Constraints", in Proceedings of The 22nd International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 06) April 3-7, 2006
- Basit Shafiq, Arjmand Samuel, "A GTRBAC Based System for DynamicWorkflow Composition and Management", in Proceedings of Eighth IEEE International Symposium on Object-Oriented Real-Time Distributed Computing, 2005, (ISORC 2005), Pages: 284-291.
- Arjmand Samuel, "System Integration with Kalman Filters", Presented at 7th IEEE Multitopic Conference December 2003, Islamabad , Pakistan
- Arjmand Samuel, Arif Ghafoor, "Generalized Spatio-Temporal Role Based Access Control Model", Presented as a poster at 2007 CERIAS Security Symposium.
- Arjmand Samuel, Haseeb Amjad, Arif Ghafoor, "Context-Aware Content-Based Access Control Policy Specification Framework for the Healthcare Domain", presented as a plenary talk at the 2nd Midwest Security Workshop, UIUC, September, 30th 2006.
- Ammar Masood, Arjmand Samuel, Aditya Mathur, Arif Ghafoor, "Scalable And Effective Test Generation For Temporal Role Based Access Control Systems", presented as a poster presentation at the 2nd Midwest Security Workshop, UIUC, September 30th 2006.
- Basit Shafiq, Arjmand Samuel, Arif Ghafoor, "A GTRBAC Based System for Dynamic Workflow Composition and Management" Presented as a poster at the 2005 CERIAS Security Symposium.
- Nigel Horspool (University of Victoria), Judith Bishop, Arjmand Samuel, Nikolai Tillmann, Michal Moskal, Jonathan de Halleux, Manuel Fhndrich (Microsoft Research) , touchdevelop programming on the go, 2013, ISBN: 978-0-9825442-2-8
- Arjmand Samuel, Ammar Masood, Aditya Mathur, Arif Ghafoor, "Enterprise Access Control Policy Engineering Framework", Handbook of Research on Information Security and Assurance edited by Jatinder N. D. Gupta, Sushil K. Sharma, 2008
- Arjmand Samuel, Basit Shafiq, Ammar Masood, Haseeb Amjad, Rafae Bhatti, Mohamed Shehab, and Arif Ghafoor, "Secure Collaboration among Distributed Systems and Services", Breakthroughs in Enterprise Computing, IDEAS Group, 2005
2012 and earlier
TouchDevelop in Your Browser | Microsoft Interns in the Clouds | Microsoft and Computer Science Educators—Inspiring the Next Generation | From Smartphone to Smart Home: Automating the Modern Home | TouchDevelop a Hit with Students | Bringing the Cloud to a Smartphone Near You | Hawaii Launches | Hawaii Cloud Services
arjmands (at) microsoft.com
Phone + 1 (425) 538-2776