Lab of Things, a flexible platform for research that uses connected devices in homes released July 15th!
My research area is Human-Computer Interaction with a focus on Ubiquitous Computing and Computer Supported Cooperative Work. I study and build technology for homes and families. My current focus is home automation as co-leader of the Lab of Things project which was built on HomeOS. I have studied home heating, mobile context-aware applications for activity recognition and location sharing, reducing email overload, interacting with technology beyond the desktop, and annotations for asynchronous collaboration. I am a Senior Member of the ACM and was honored to receive a Borg Early Career Award in 2010. I co-organized the HomeSys 2013 workshop at UbiComp 2013 and am co-general chair of UbiComp 2014. I am also a board member of CRA-W, a group that works to increase the number of women in computing research.
At Microsoft Research, I am a member of the Computational User Experiences (CUE) group. I graduated summa cum laude from Williams College in 1996 with a double major in Computer Science and Mathematics. I received my Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Washington in Sept 2002 and I have been at Microsoft Research since 2004. My CV and biography have more details.
- The Latency, Accuracy, and Battery (LAB) Abstraction: Programmer Productivity and Energy Efﬁciency for Continuous Mobile Context Sensing, Aman Kansal, T. Scott Saponas, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Kathryn S. McKinley, Todd Mytkowicz, Ryder Ziola, OOPSLA 2013
- Lab of Things: A Platform for Conducting Studies with Connected Devices in Multiple Homes, A.J. Brush, Evgeni Filippov, Danny Huang, Jaeyeon Jung, Ratul Mahajan, Frank Martinez, Khurshed Mazhar, Amar Phanishayee, Arjmand Samuel, James Scott, Rayman Preet Singh, UbiComp 2013 Demos.
- Home Computing Unplugged: Why, Where and When People Use Different Connected Devices at Home, Fahim Kawsar, A.J. Bernheim Brush, UbiComp 2014
- Phoneprioception: Enabling Mobile Phones to Infer Where They are Kept
Jason Wiese, T. Scott Saponas, A.J. Bernheim Brush, CHI 2013
- Digital Neighborhood Watch: Investigating the Sharing of Camera Data Amongst Neighbors, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Jaeyeon Jung, Ratul Mahajan, Frank Martinez, CSCW 2013.
- Demo Abstract: Augmenting Homes with Custom Devices using .NET Gadgeteer and HomeOS, James Scott, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Ratul Mahajan, BuildSys 2012 Demos.
- Sustainability does not begin with the individual
Mike Hazas, A.J. Bernheim Brush, James Scott, Sustainability in (Inter)action Forum, Interactions, September + October 2012.
- HomeLab: Shared Infrastructure for Home Technology Field Studies
A.J. Bernheim Brush, Jaeyeon Jung, Ratul Mahajan, James Scott, HomeSys Workshop at Ubicomp 2012
- Goldilocks and the Two Mobile Devices: Going Beyond All-Or-Nothing Access to a Device’s Applications Eiji Hayashi, Oriana Riva, Karin Strauss, A.J. Brush, and Stuart Schechter, Symposium On Usable Privacy and Security (SOUPS) 2012
- SpeechToast: Augmenting Notifications with Speech Input Focus
A.J. Bernheim Brush and Paul Johns, AVI 2012, (Note)
- Trajectory-Aware Mobile Search
Shahriyar Amini, A.J. Bernheim Brush, John Krumm, Jaime Teevan, Amy Karlson, CHI 2012, (Note)
- "You're Capped!" Understanding the Effects of Bandwidth Caps on Broadband Use in the Home Marshini Chetty, Richard Banks, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Jonathan Donner, Rebecca E. Grinter, CHI 2012
- Your Phone or Mine? Fusing Body, Touch and Device Sensing for Multi-User Device-Display Interaction Mahsan Rofouei, Andrew W. Wilson, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Stewart Tansley, CHI 2012, (Note)
- It's Use by Us: Family Friendly Access Control
A.J. Bernheim Brush, Technology for Today's Family Workshop at CHI 2012
- An Operating System for the Home
Colin Dixon, Ratul Mahajan, Sharad Agarwal, AJ Brush, Bongshin Lee, Stefan Saroiu, and Victor Bahl, NSDI, USENIX, April 2012
- PreHeat: Controlling Home Heating Using Occupancy Prediction
James Scott, A.J. Bernheim Brush, John Krumm, Brian Meyers, Mike Hazas, Steve Hodges and Nicolas Villar, Ubicomp 2011
- Understanding the Importance of Location, Time, and People in Mobile Local Search Behavior Jaime Teevan, Amy Karlson, Shahriyar Amini, A.J. Bernheim Brush, John Krumm, Mobile HCI 2011 (Note)
- Learning Time-Based Presence Probabilities
John Krumm and A.J. Bernheim Brush, Pervasive 2011, Best Paper Award.
- SpeakerSense: Energy Efficient Unobtrusive Speaker Identification on Mobile Phones Hong Lu, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Bodhi Priyantha, Amy Karlson, Jie Liu. Pervasive 2011, Best Paper Award Nominee.
- Human-Activity Recognition (HAR) Everywhere: Embedded, Mobile, Desktop, Home & Cloud
T. Scott Saponas, Brian R. Meyers and A.J. Bernheim Brush, Pervasive 2011 Workshop on Frontiers in Activity Recognition using Pervasive Sensing (IWFAR)
- Home Automation in the Wild: Challenges and Opportunities
A.J. Bernheim Brush, Bongshin Lee, Ratul Mahajan, Sharad Agarwal, Stefan Saroiu, Colin Dixon, CHI 2011
- Speech@Home: An Exploratory Case Study
A.J. Bernheim Brush, Kori Inkpen, Brian Meyers, Paul Johns, CHI 2011 Case Studies
- While the Meter is Running: Computing in a Capped World
Marshini Chetty, Richard Banks, A.J. Brush, Jonathan Donner, and Rebecca E. Grinter, Interactions Volume 18, Issue 2
- The Home Needs an Operating System (and an App Store)
Colin Dixon, Ratul Mahajan, Sharad Agarwal, A.J. Brush, Bongshin Lee, Stefan Saroiu, and Victor Bahl, HotNets 2010
- Exploring End User Preferences for Location Obfuscation, Location-Based Services, and the Value of Location
A.J. Bernheim Brush, John Krumm, James Scott, Ubicomp 2010.
- User Experiences with Activity-Based Navigation on Mobile Devices
A.J. Bernheim Brush, Amy Karlson, James Scott and Menlo team members,
Mobile HCI 2010
- Home Heating Using GPS-Based Arrival Prediction
James Scott, John Krumm, Brian Meyers, A. J. Brush, and Ashish Kapoor, Pervasive 2010 Workshop on Energy Awareness and Conservation through Pervasive Applications
- Activity Recognition Research: The Good, the Bad and the Future
A.J. Bernheim Brush, John Krumm, and James Scott, Pervasive 2010 Workshop on How to do Good Research in Activity Recognition
- Newport: Enabling Sharing During Mobile Calls
Junius A. Gunaratne and A.J. Bernheim Brush, CHI 2010.
- Video Playdate: Toward Free Play across Distance
Svetlana Yarosh, Kori M. Inkpen, and A.J. Bernheim Brush, CHI 2010.
- Automatic Classification of Daily Fluid Intake
Jonathan Lester, Desney Tan, Shwetak Patel, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Pervasive Health 2010, Best Paper Award
- Understanding Family Communication across Time Zones
Xiang Cao, Abigail Sellen, A.J. Bernheim Brush, David Kirk, Darren Edge, Xianghua Ding.
CSCW 2010 short paper.
- A.J. Bernheim Brush, "Ubiquitous Computing Field Studies", in John Krumm (ed), Ubiquitous Computing Fundamentals, 2009, pp. 161-202.
- Investigating the Use of Voice and Ink for Mobile Micronote Capture
Adrienne Andrew, Amy K. Karlson, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Interact 2009.
- It's no secret: Measuring the security and reliability of authentication via 'secret' questions, Stuart Schechter, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Serge Egelman, 2009 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy.
- It’s Not Easy Being Green:Understanding Home Computer Power Management
Marshini Chetty, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Brian R. Meyers, Paul Johns, CHI 2009.
- Can I Borrow Your Phone? Understanding Concerns When Sharing Mobile Phones
Amy Karlson, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Stuart Schechter, CHI 2009 short paper.
- Exploring Awareness Needs and Information Display Preferences Between Coworkers, A.J Bernheim Brush, Brian R. Meyers, James Scott, Gina Venolia, CHI 2009 short paper.
- "The Calendar is Crucial": Coordination and Awareness through the Family Calendar
Carman Neustaedter, A.J. Bernheim Brush, and Saul Greenberg,
ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction, Vol 16, Issue 1, April 2009, Also joint MSR Research Tech. Report and Dept. of Computer Science at University of Calgary Tech. Report. MSR-TR-2006-66.
- Insights on Interactive Tabletops: A Survey of Researchers and Developers
Hrvoje Benko, Merrie Morris, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Andy Wilson, MSR Tech Report: MSR-TR-2009-22. Mar. 2009.
- SPARCS: Exploring Sharing Suggestions to Enhance Family Connectedness
A.J. Bernheim Brush, Kori Inkpen, Kimberly Tee, CSCW 2008. Video
- Family Accounts: A new paradigm for user accounts within the home environment
Serge Egelman, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Kori Inkpen, CSCW 2008.
- Exploring Communication and Sharing Between Extended Families
Kimberly Tee, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Kori Inkpen, IJHCS Special Issue on Family Communication Technologies
- A Field Study of Knowledge Workers’ Use of Interactive Horizontal Displays
Merrie Morris, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Brian Meyers, IEEE Tabletop 2008.
- DocuDesk: An Interactive Surface for Creating and Rehydrating Many-to-Many Linkages among Paper and Digital Documents.
Kate Everitt, Merrie Morris, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Andy Wilson, IEEE Tabletop 2008.
- Life Scheduling to Support Multiple Social Roles
Andrea Grimes and A.J. Bernheim Brush, CHI 2008 Short paper
- SuperBreak: Using Interactivity to Enhance Ergonomic Breaks
Dan Morris, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Brian Meyers, CHI 2008
- Reading Revisited: Evaluating the Usability of Digital Display Surfaces for Active Reading Tasks.
Merrie Morris, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Brian Meyers, IEEE Tabletop 2007.
- Yours, Mine, and Ours? Sharing and Use of Technology in Domestic Environments.
A.J. Bernheim Brush and Kori M. Inkpen, Ubicomp 2007
- Did You Leave the Calendar On? Exploring trade-offs between availability and power consumption in the home.
A.J. Bernheim Brush. Position Paper for Ubicomp 2007 workshop: Ubiquitous Sustainability: Technologies for Green Values
- A Digital Family Calendar in the Home: Lessons from Field Trials of LINC
Carman Neustaedter, A.J. Bernheim Brush, and Saul Greenberg, Graphics Interface 2007. Related technical report: LINC in the Home: Field Trials of a Digital Family Calendar, MSR-TR-2006-66
- Understanding Memory Triggers for Task Tracking
A.J. Bernheim Brush, Brian Meyers, Desney Tan and Mary Czerwinski, CHI 2007 Short paper.
- Revisiting Whittaker & Sidner's "Email Overload"; Ten Years Later
Danyel Fisher, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Eric Gleave and Marc A. Smith, CSCW 2006 Note.
- LINC, An Inkable Digital Family Calendar. The Video
Carman Neustaedter, A.J. Bernheim Brush, and Saul Greenberg, CSCW 2006 Video program
- "LINC-ing" the Family: The Participatory Design of an Inkable Family Calendar
Carman Neustaedter and A.J. Bernheim Brush, CHI 2006. Best Paper Nominee
- Dance Your Work Away:Exploring Step User Interfaces
Brian Meyers, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Steven Drucker, Marc Smith and Mary Czerwinski, alt.chi at CHI 2006.
- IT@Home:Often Best Left to Professionals
A.J. Bernheim Brush, Position paper for CHI 2006 Workshop: http://www.ischool.washington.edu/mcdonald/itathome/index.html
- A Survey of Personal and Household Scheduling
A.J. Bernheim Brush and Tammara Combs Turner, Group 2005 posters. We also have a longer technical report A Survey of Personal and Household Scheduling Practices: Implications for Digital Family Calendars available.
- Scanning Objects in the Wild: Assessing an Object Triggered Information System
A.J. Bernheim Brush, Tammara Combs Turner; Marc A. Smith; Neeti Gupta, UbiComp 2005.
- The Social Network and Relationship Finder: Social Sorting for Email Triage
Carman Neustaedter, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Marc A. Smith, Danyel Fisher. CEAS 2005.
- Beyond "From" and "Received": Exploring the Dynamics of Email Triage
Carman Neustaedter, A.J. Bernheim Brush, and Marc A. Smith, CHI 2005, 1977-1980.
- Designs for Home Life
A.J. Bernheim Brush, Leysia Palen, Laurel Swan and Alex S. Taylor, SIG at CHI 2005.
- Assessing Differential Usage of Usenet Social Accounting Meta-Data
A.J. Bernheim Brush, Xiaoqing Wang, Tammara Combs Turner, and Marc A. Smith, CHI 2005, 889-898.
- Terminology and Evaluation: Two Challenges for Awareness Systems Research
A.J. Bernheim Brush, Position paper for CHI 2005 Workshop on Awareness Systems: Known Results, Theory, Concepts and Future Challenges.
- 'Today' Messages: Lightweight Support for Small Group Awareness via Email
A.J. Bernheim Brush and Alan Borning, HICSS 2005. (Nominated for a Best Paper Award)
- A Comparison of Synchronous Remote and Local Usability Studies for an Expert Interface
A.J. Bernheim Brush, Morgan Ames, and Janet Davis, CHI 2004, 1179-1183.
- Exploring the Relationship Between Personal and Public Annotations
Catherine C. Marshall and A.J. Bernheim Brush, JCDL 2004, 349-357.
- 'Today' Messages: Lightweight Group Awareness via Email
A.J. Bernheim Brush and Alan Borning, CHI 2003 Extended Abstracts, 920-921.
- Annotating Digital Documents for Asynchronous Collaboration
A.J. Bernheim Brush, Ph.D. dissertation, Available as UW Computer Science Technical Report 02-09-02.
- Notification for Shared Annotation of Digital Documents
A.J. Bernheim Brush, David Bargeron, Jonathan Grudin, and Anoop Gupta, CHI 2002, 89-96.
- From Personal to Shared Annotations
Catherine Marshall and A.J. Bernheim Brush, CHI 2002 Extended Abstracts, 812-813.
- Supporting Interaction Outside of Class: Anchored Discussion vs. Discussion Boards
A.J. Bernheim Brush, David Bargeron, Jonathan Grudin, Alan Borning, and Anoop Gupta, CSCL 2002, 425-434.
- Robust Annotation Positioning in Digital Documents
A.J. Bernheim Brush, David Bargeron, JJ Cadiz, and Anoop Gupta, CHI 2001, 285-292.
- Erin Griffiths, Summer 2013, Healthy Furniture
- Sarah Mennicken, Summer 2013, Interactive Furniture
- Jason Wiese, Summer 2012 (with Scott Saponas) Human activity inference
- Ryder Ziola, Summer 2011 (with Scott Saponas) Human activity inference
- Hong Lu, Summer 2010 (with Bodhi Priyantha, Jie Liu, Amy Karlson) Speech recognition for mobile devices
- Shah Amini, Summer 2010 (with John Krumm, Amy Karlson, Jaime Teevan) Mobile search with destination prediction
- Andres Neyem, Summer 2009 (with Ranveer Chandra) Proximity sensing
- Lana Yarosh, Summer 2009 (with Kori Inkpen) Free play over video by children
- Junius Gunaratne, Spring 2009 Sharing during mobile calls
- Marshini Chetty, Summer 2008 Home computer power management
- Adrienne Andrew, Spring 2008, (with Amy Karlson) Mobile micronote capture using voice and ink
- Serge Egelman, Winter 2008, (with Kori Inkpen) Account management on home computers
- Kate Everitt, Summer 2007, (with Merrie Morris) Linking paper and digital documents
- Andrea Grimes, Summer 2006, Life scheduling and home/work calendar management
- Kimberly Tee, Summer 2006, Spring 2007, Communication and Sharing between extended family members
- Carman Neustaedter, Summer 2004, Summer 2005, LINC, an inkable family calendar
Invited Talks & Recent Professional Activities
- Invited Speaker, Home Automation: Is It Finally Ready for the Mainstream? Williams College CS25 Anniversary, April 2013
- Speaker, Balancing Graduate School and Personal Life, CRA-W Grad Cohort, April 2013
- Speaker, CRA-W CAPP Mentoring Workshop, Nov. 2012
- Faculty Member, Pervasive 2012 Doctoral Consortium, June 2012
- Featured Speaker, CRA-W Distinguished Lecture at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, April 2012
- Keynote speaker, Phone Sense workshop at ACM SenSys 2011
- Panelist, Home Networking at IEEE Computer Communications Workshop 2011
- Featured Speaker, New York Celebration of Women in Computing 2011
- Faculty Member, Ubicomp 2010 Doctoral Consortium
- Tutorial Instructor at Pervasive 2010, Pervasive Computing User Studies
- Faculty Member, CHI 2009 Doctoral Consortium
- Tutorial Instructor at Pervasive 2008, Field Studies for Pervasive Computing
- Panelist, Ubicomp's Role in CSCW at CSCW 2008
- Panelist, Interaction and Infrastructure: Crossing the Divide in Ubicomp Research at Ubicomp 2006
Steering and Organizing Committees
- Ubicomp 2014 General co-chair
- UbiComp SIGCHI Community chair
- CRA-W Board Member
- Joint Ubicomp and Pervasive Steering Committee
- Organizer, HomeSys 2013 workshop at UbiComp 2013
- Editorial Advisory Board Member, International Journal of HCI (Feb. 2008 - Aug. 2011)
- ACM SIGCHI VP for Membership & Communications (2006 - 2009)
- Pervasive 2009 Program Committee co-chair
- Organizer, CSCW 2008 Workshop on Designing for Families
- Ubicomp 2008 Poster Co-Chair
- Organizer, Pervasive 2008 Workshop on Pervasive Computing @ Home
- Group 2007 Workshop Co-chair
- CSCW 2004 Notes Co-Chair
- Lab of Things press page (many articles and blogs)
- Williams Computer Science 25th Anniversary, April 2013
- HomeOS: Microsoft Works on Bringing Smart Homes to the Masses, Time TechLand, Apr 2012
- Microsoft forges ahead with new home-automation OS, CNET, Apr 2012
- Microsoft's Smart House: Microsoft Research presents ‘HomeOS’, Technology Review, May 2012
- From Smartphone to Smart Home: Automating the Modern Home, Microsoft Research Connections Blog, April 26, 2012
New from Microsoft Research: Controlling Home Heating Using Occupancy Prediction
Software Enabled Earth, The Official Blog of Microsoft's Environmental Sustainability Team, October 31, 2011
TechFest: A thermostat that knows when you're home
Seattle Times, March 9, 2011, (Includes video about system)
Finding Our Way with Digital Bread Crumbs
Technology Review, 18 August 2010
- Kids experiment with ‘video playdates’
CNN Tech, 11 June 2010
- The Intersection of Work & Life
850 Business Magazine, 7 January 2010
- Password reminders: hard to remember, but easy to hack
Ars Technica, 19 May 2009
- Study: Secret Questions Don't Safeguard Passwords
PC World Business Center, 19 May 2009
- Are Your "Secret Questions" Too Easily Answered?
Technology Review, 18 May 2009
- Microsoft’s latest is flat-out impressive
Seattle Times, 19 July 2006