Microsoft Research Asia is founded in Beijing as Microsoft’s fundamental research facility in the Asia Pacific region and expands rapidly. By attracting the best talent from Asia and across the globe, Microsoft Research Asia has grown into a world-class research laboratory with over 200 researchers and developers and more than 300 visiting scientists and students. Today, the lab conducts basic research in natural user interfaces, next-generation multimedia, data-intensive computing, search and online advertising, and computer science fundamentals.
|Research at the Beijing lab focuses on the following areas.|
- Natural User Interface
- Next Generation Multimedia
- Data Intensive Computing
- Search and Online Ads
- Computer Science Fundamentals
From the Director
“At Microsoft Research Asia, our researchers and engineers push the boundaries of innovation by reaching into their imaginations and turning their ideas into reality.
As we have grown, our commitment to fostering talent and building healthy IT ecosystems in the region has expanded. Over the years, we have extended the scope of our university relations efforts by establishing joint labs with universities in Asia, conducting joint research programs, hosting top-notch visiting professors at our lab, and offering and funding computer science courses throughout China. These collaborations have allowed us to create exciting new opportunities for both Microsoft and academia in the Asia Pacific region.
I am highly appreciative of our researchers, engineers and partners for their continued support. Our collective hard work has built the lab into what it is today. We will continue to tackle computing’s greatest challenges with the passion that has helped establish Microsoft Research Asia as one of the world’s foremost fundamental and applied research facilities."
— Hsiao-Wuen Hon, Managing Director of Microsoft Research Asia
- Microsoft Research receives IEEE Council honor
Microsoft Research Blog· 20 May 2016
- The SwimTrain exergame makes swim workouts fun again
Microsoft Research Blog· 11 May 2016
- Enhanced virtual reality among new Microsoft research advances at CHI 2016
Microsoft Research Blog· 28 April 2016
- 25 geniuses who are creating the future of business
WIRED· 27 April 2016
- Welcome to the Invisible Revolution
Microsoft / Stories· 18 April 2016
- Computing in the 21st Century 2015 (21CCC)
28 October 2015
- 1st Int'l Code Hunt Workshop on Educational Software Engineering (CHESE 2015)
14 July 2015
- 2nd Microsoft Research - IMDEA Software Institute Collaborative Workshop
910 April 2015
- Microsoft open sources Distributed Machine Learning Toolkit for more efficient big data research
- At Microsoft Research Asia, artificial intelligence is informing, and informed by, the human experience
- Chinese Tradition Inspires Machine Learning Advancements, Product Contributions
Microsoft Research Asia
Building 2, No. 5 Dan Ling Street, Haidian District
Beijing, P.R. China, 100080
Tel: (86-10) 5917-8888
Get directions, maps, and more...