Advanced Technology Labs (ATL) Cairo, located in Cairo, Egypt, is looking for interns who are passionate and motivated to learn and create. While academic merit, publications, and other experiences are notable, successful candidates also demonstrate enthusiasm and possess a commendable work ethic, team spirit, and communication skills.
Why do I enjoy hosting summer interns?
By Motaz El Saban, Researcher
Motaz El SabanWhen I sit back and remember my experience hosting summer interns at ATL Cairo, I cannot help but feel very proud of being part of that program. The experience was so rewarding that I am eagerly looking forward to the next summer. The success of the first ATL Cairo summer internship period was not limited to the type of work produced by the interns; I would say this was the least important factor. Read more…
The length of our internship programs are from 12 weeks to 11 months. We accept intern applications year-round, but applications for summer internships (July to August) are reviewed in May. Therefore, if you wish to be considered for a summer placement, we recommend that you apply before May of the same year.
Working as a Research Assistant at ATL Cairo is a great opportunity for post graduate students to work with the best researchers and the strongest teams in ATL Cairo's different fields of research. Research assistants are highly encouraged, through their work with ATL Cairo to develop their curriculum vitae and participate in ATL Cairo research publications.
To be eligible for research assistant internships, applicants must have the following qualifications:
- PhD or Master Student in CS, EE, statistics, mathematics, or equivalent field
- Research experience, background in, and familiarity with the literature in the areas listed above; industrial research internships a plus
- Demonstrated ability to generate new ideas and innovate
- Research track record; publications history is a plus
- Strong programming skills including C++ experience; experience developing commercial or high-quality research software a plus
The Research assistant position is open all year long; applications are accepted according to availability.
Post-doc researcher positions provide an opportunity for PhD holders to develop their research career and to interact with some of the top minds in the research at our lab, with the potential to have their research realized in Microsoft products and services that will be used worldwide. Post-doc researchers, together with ATL Cairo researchers, define their research project agenda and demonstrate their ability to drive forward an effective program of research.
To be eligible for internships, applicants must have the following qualifications:
- PhD degree in computer science, electrical engineering, statistics, mathematics, or equivalent field
- Research experience in, and familiarity with, the literature in one of the Microsoft Research areas; industrial research internships a plus
- Demonstrated ability to generate new ideas and innovate
- Research track record including minimum of two peer-reviewed research publications; stronger publication history a plus
The Post Doc position is open all year long; applications are accepted according to availability.
The internship program at ATL Cairo encourages a new generation of highly qualified persons to pursue a career in research and development. Our internship program is designed to give undergraduate students experience working on real projects alongside full-time employees. The program gives students an opportunity to work in a genuine research environment, challenges them to explore new disciplines, and provides meaningful connections to mentors and colleagues who will become part of their professional networks in the future. Internship will vary according to the students’ interests and qualification to be in research, development, or testing.
1 July 2013 to 31 August 2013
- Third year student in engineering, computer science, or a related field.
- Strong analytical abilities and interest in research.
- Advanced programming skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft technologies.
Send your resume and the following information to email@example.com by April 1st, 2013:
- Your GPA, Grade, or Rating.
- Any development or research project conducted beyond your class curriculum.
- Recommendation letter from a faculty staff member.
How to Apply for a Post-Doc or Research Assistant Internship
Update your resume or CV with recent work, publications, and other research experience.
- Send your resume or CV to (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- In the subject line, state the position you want to apply for, and include a one or two page Personal Research Statement at the end of your CV or in a separate document.
Your Personal Research Statement should answer the following questions:
- What are your research interests? What gets you excited? (Don’t tell us anything you wouldn’t speak about if asked about your research in a public venue, such as a conference.)
- What sorts of projects would particularly interest you?
- What prior experience and expertise do you have that would be relevant to your internship?
- What are you particularly proud of in your track record?
- Why would you be a good choice for us?
We will use your Personal Research Statement primarily for selection purposes, to see where you might fit. The actual projects we offer you may well differ from the ones you suggest.
After careful review by a selected panel of researchers, a few applicants will be offered interviews with two to three interviewers to better understand the applicant’s research interests, projects, goals, and objectives.
Information about the success of the application and interview will be made approximately two weeks following the interview. More information about work visas, travel plans, and living arrangements, if the application is accepted, will be discussed at that time. Foreign applicants will be responsible for getting their work visa, which will require three-years experience certificate from a previous job.
Frequently Asked Questions
As part of Microsoft Research, ATL Cairo is a great place to do an internship to expand your research horizons and taste industry research.
What internship experience can interns expect at Microsoft Research?
Microsoft Research interns share many of the same job responsibilities as full-time researchers. You will be given real work with real problems to solve. As an intern, you will collaborate with researchers and developers in your larger organization. In close collaboration with your mentor, you will define a project that satisfies your and Microsoft’s research interests.
When do internships take place? How long do internships last?
Our internships are in 12 week blocks — this is so you can really dive into a project and make a significant contribution; however in some cases, the internship may be extended up to 11 months long.
Do interns have to be Egyptians to apply for an internship in Egypt?
We will consider all qualified candidates, regardless of citizenship or visa status. However, foreign applicants will be responsible to get their work visa, which will require three-years experience certificate from previous jobs.
What qualifications is Microsoft Research looking for in intern candidates?
Research Assistant candidates must be students enrolled in a relevant field of study, such as computer science, engineering, or social sciences, with a focus on computer technology. It will depend upon the position that you are applying for as to what level of post graduate study is required.
When do you accept applications?
We accept intern applications year-round for Research Assistants and Post-Docs. Applications for summer internships (July to August) are reviewed in May. Therefore, if you wish to be considered for a summer placement, we recommend that you apply before May of the same year.
How can I obtain a work visa?
This will be obtained through the Egyptian Embassy, and will require three-years of experience letter from a previous job.
Are the beverages really free?
This is absolutely true when you work at our Cairo offices.
How will I get started?
During that first exciting week, we’ll orient you to your job and to Microsoft in general. You’ll be teamed up with a full-time mentor who will show you the ropes, give you advice, and help you get the most out of your internship.
Will I receive a salary?
ATL Cairo intern salaries are competitive and compare favorably with intern salaries in other companies.