VIBE stands for “Visualization and Interaction for Business and Entertainment”, and our group focuses primarily on topics in human-computer interaction (HCI) and information visualization.
Here is a short list of ongoing projects:
- Big Data Analytics UX--better environment and visualizations for analysing big data (Danyel Fisher, Rob Deline, Steven Drucker, Mary Czerwinski plus several colleagues on other teams). This includes iterative visualizations of work (Danyel), the researcher's notebook (Rob Deline) and much more.
- CodeBook--Facebook for Developers (Andy Begel and colleagues).
- Wearable Fabric--Asta Roseway
- Emotion Tracking, tracking tools and theoretical development--(Mary Czerwinski, Ashish Kapoor, Asta Roseway, Paul Johns, Scott Saponas).
- Sandbox visualization--Steven Drucker, Roland Fernandez.
- Web-based, collaborative and gestural IDE--Kael Rowen, Rob Deline.
PRINCIPAL RESEARCH DESIGNER
RESEARCH MGR/ PRINCIPAL RES
- Pop Therapy
- Microsoft Research Data Visualization Apps for Office
- What Designers Want
- User Experience with Big Data
- Debugger Canvas
- PreHeat: Controlling Home Heating With Occupancy Prediction
- NetMedic: Detailed and understandable network diagnosis
- Code Canvas
- External Research Program in Russia
- Data Depot
- Spatial Representations of Code
- Embodied Social Proxies
- Blews - what the blogosphere tells you about news
- Microsoft Automatic Graph Layout
- Meredith Ringel Morris, Andrew Begel, and Ben Wiedermann, Understanding the Challenges Faced by Neurodiverse Software Engineering Employees: Towards a More Inclusive and Productive Technical Workforce, in Proceedings of ASSETS 2015, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, October 2015.
- Steven M. Drucker and Roland Fernandez, A Unifying Framework for Animated and Interactive Unit Visualizations, no. MSR-TR-2015-65, 6 August 2015.
- Miryung Kim, Thomas Zimmermann, Robert DeLine, and Andrew Begel, The Emerging Role of Data Scientists on Software Development Teams, no. MSR-TR-2015-30, 12 April 2015.
- Emanuel Zgraggen, Steven M. Drucker, Danyel Fisher, and Robert DeLine, (s|qu)eries: Visual Regular Expressions for Querying and Exploring Event Sequences, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, April 2015.
- Dimitris Papanikolaou, A.J. Brush, and Asta Roseway, BodyPods: Designing Posture Sensing Chairs for Capturing and Sharing Implicit Interactions, in In Proceedings of TEI 2015, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, January 2015.
- Sang-won Leigh, Asta Roseway, and Ann Paradiso, Remnance of Form, in Proceedings of TEI 2015, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, January 2015.
- Michele A. Williams, Asta Roseway, Chris O’Dowd, Mary Czerwinski, and Meredith Ringel Morris, SWARM: An Actuated Wearable for Mediating Affect, in Proceedings of TEI 2015, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, January 2015.
- Halley P Profita, Asta Roseway, and Mary Czerwinski, Lightwear: An Exploration in Wearable Light Therapy, in In Proceedings of TEI 2015, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, January 2015.
- Danyel Fisher, Badrish Chandramouli, Robert DeLine, Jonathan Goldstein, Andrei Aron, Mike Barnett, John C. Platt, James F. Terwilliger, and John Wernsing, Tempe: An Interactive Data Science Environment for Exploration of Temporal and Streaming Data, no. MSR-TR-2014-148, November 2014.
- Danyel Fisher, Steven Drucker, and Mary Czerwinski, Business Intelligence Analytics [Guest Editor's Introduction], in IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications, IEEE – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, September 2014.
- Andrew Begel, Thomas Fritz, Sebastian Mueller, Serap Yigit-Elliott, and Manuela Zueger, Using Psycho-Physiological Measures to Assess Task Difficulty in Software Development, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Engineering, International Conference on Software Engineering, 4 June 2014.
- Andrew Begel and Thomas Zimmermann, Analyze This! 145 Questions for Data Scientists in Software Engineering, in Proceedings of the 36th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2014), ACM, June 2014.
- Meredith Ringel Morris, Andreea Danielescu, Steven Drucker, Danyel Fisher, Bongshin Lee, m.c. schraefel, and Jacob O. Wobbrock, Reducing Legacy Bias in Gesture Elicitation Studies, in ACM Interactions Magazine, ACM, May 2014.
- Nivan Ferreira, Danyel Fisher, and Arnd Christian König, Sample-Oriented Task-Driven Visualizations: Allowing Users to Make Better, More Confident Decisions, in Proceedings of Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2014), ACM, April 2014.
- Andrew Begel and Thomas Zimmermann, Analyze This! 145 Questions for Data Scientists in Software Engineering, no. MSR-TR-2013-111, 28 October 2013.
- Jessica Hullman, Steven Drucker, Nathalie Henry Riche, Bongshin Lee, Danyel Fisher, and Eytan Adar, A Deeper Understanding of Sequence in Narrative Visualization, in Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG) Proceedings of Infovis 2013, IEEE, October 2013.
- Andrew Begel and Thomas Zimmermann, Appendix to Analyze This! 145 Questions for Data Scientists in Software Engineering, no. MSR-TR-2013-84, 14 September 2013.
- Mike Barnett, Badrish Chandramouli, Robert DeLine, Steven Drucker, Danyel Fisher, Jonathan Goldstein, Patrick Morrison, and John Platt, Stat! - An Interactive Analytics Environment for Big Data, in ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD 2013), ACM SIGMOD, June 2013.
- Danyel Fisher, Steven M. Drucker, and A. Christian König, Exploratory Visualization Involving Incremental, Approximate Database Queries and Uncertainty, in IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, IEEE, July 2012.
- Anja Guzzi and Andrew Begel, Faciliting Communication between Engineers with CARES, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Engineering, IEEE, 6 June 2012.
- Kael Rowan, Robert DeLine, Andrew Bragdon, and Jens Jacobsen, Debugger Canvas: Industrial Experience with the Code Bubbles Paradigm, International Conference on Software Engineering, 2 June 2012.
- Danyel Fisher, Igor Popov, Steven M. Drucker, and mc schraefel, Trust Me, I'm Partially Right: Incremental Visualization Lets Analysts Explore Large Datasets Faster, in Proceedings of the 2012 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2012), ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, 5 May 2012.
- Bongshin Lee, Nathalie henry riche, and Mary Czerwinski, Understanding the verbal language and structure of end-user descriptions of data visualizations, ACM Conference on Computer-Human Interaction, May 2012.
- Petra Isenberg, Danyel Fisher, Sharoda A. Paul, Meredith Ringel Morris, Kori Inkpen, and Mary Czerwinski, Co-Located Collaborative Visual Analytics around a Tabletop Display, IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Volume 18 Issue 5, May 2012.
- Danyel Fisher, Rob DeLine, Mary Czerwinski, and Steven Drucker, Interactions with Big Data Analytics, in ACM Interactions, ACM, May 2012.