Microsoft Research has several diverse groups working in the field of Ubiquitous and Pervasive Computing. You can find more information on the groups' and individuals' webpages.
Microsoft Research groups active in UbiComp include:
- A. J. Bernheim Brush, Brian R. Meyers, and James Scott, In-Home Deployments, Elsevier, October 2014.
- Chloe Brown, Christos Efstratiou, Ilias Leontiadis, Daniele Quercia, Cecilia Mascolo, James Scott, and Peter Key, The architecture of innovation: Tracking face-to-face interactions with ubicomp technologies, in Proceedings of UbiComp 2014, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, 13 September 2014.
- Yu Zheng, Tong Liu, Yilun Wang, Yanchi Liu, and Yanmin Zhu, Diagnosing New York City’s Noises with Ubiquitous Data, in UbiComp 2014, ACM, September 2014.
- Xuxu Chen, Yu Zheng, Yubiao Chen, Qiwei Jin, Weiwei Sun, Eric Chang, and Wei-Ying Ma, Indoor Air Quality Monitoring System for Smart Buildings, in UbiComp 2014, ACM, September 2014.
- Fuzheng Zhang, David Wilkie, Yu Zheng, and Xing Xie, Sensing the Pulse of Urban Refueling Behavior, in UbiComp 2013, ACM, September 2013.
- Katie Derthick, James Scott, Nicolas Villar, and Christian Winkler, Exploring Smartphone-based Web User Interfaces for Appliances, in Proceedings of MobileHCI 2013, ACM, August 2013.
- Steve Hodges, Stuart Taylor, Nicolas Villar, James Scott, and John Helmes, Exploring Physical Prototyping Techniques for Functional Devices using .NET Gadgeteer, in Proceedings of TEI 2013, ACM, February 2013.
- Steve Hodges, Stuart Taylor, Nicolas Villar, James Scott, Dominik Bial, and Patrick Tobias Fischer, Prototyping Connected Devices for the Internet of Things, in IEEE Computer, IEEE Computer Society, February 2013.
- Kai Zheng, Shuo Shang, Nicholas Jing Yuan, and Yi Yang, Towards Efficient Search for Activity Trajectories, International Conference on Data Engineering, 2013.
- James Scott, A.J. Bernheim Brush, and Ratul Mahajan, Demo Abstract: Augmenting Homes with Custom Devices using .NET Gadgeteer and HomeOS, in Proceedings of BuildSys 2012, ACM, November 2012.
- Carl Ellis, James Scott, Mike Hazas, and John Krumm, EarlyOff: Using House Cooling Rates To Save Energy, in Proceedings of BuildSys 2012, ACM, November 2012.
- Carl Ellis, James Scott, Ionut Constandache, and Mike Hazas, Creating a Room Connectivity Graph of a Building from Per-Room Sensor Units, in Proceedings of BuildSys 2012, ACM, November 2012.
- Nicholas Jing Yuan, Yu Zheng, Liuhang Zhang, and Xing Xie, T-Finder: A Recommender System for Finding Passengers and Vacant Taxis, in IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), IEEE, September 2012.
- Mike Hazas, A. J. Bernheim Brush, and James Scott, Sustainability does not begin with the individual, in Interactions, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 14-17, ACM, September 2012.
- AJ Brush, Jaeyeon Jung, Ratul Mahajan, and James Scott, HomeLab: Shared infrastructure for home technology field studies, in Workshop on Systems and Infrastructure for the Digital Home (HomeSys), ACM, September 2012.
- Jing Yuan, Yu Zheng, and Xing Xie, Discovering Regions of Different Functions in a City Using Human Mobility and POIs, in KDD 2012, ACM, 12 August 2012.
- Nicolas Villar, James Scott, Steve Hodges, Kerry Hammil, and Colin Miller, .NET Gadgeteer: A Platform for Custom Devices, in Proceedings of Pervasive 2012, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, June 2012.
- Shahriyar Amini, A.J. Bernheim Brush, John Krumm, Jaime Teevan, and Amy Karlson, Trajectory-Aware Mobile Search, in CHI 2012, ACM, May 2012.
- Mahsan Rofouei, Andrew D. Wilson, A.J. Bernheim Brush, and Stewart Tansley, Your Phone or Mine? Fusing Body, Touch and Device Sensing for Multi-User Device-Display Interaction, in CHI 2012, ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, May 2012.
- Marshini Chetty, Richard Banks, A.J. Bernheim Brush, Jonathan Donner, and Rebecca Grinter, "You're Capped!" Understanding the Effects of Bandwidth Caps on Broadband Use in the Home, in CHI 2012, ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, May 2012.
- Steve Hodges, Nicolas Villar, James Scott, and Albrecht Schmidt, A New Era for Ubicomp Development, in IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol. 11, no. 1, IEEE Computer Society, January 2012.
- Jing Yuan, Yu Zheng, Liuhang Zhang, Xing Xie, and Guangzhong Sun, Where to Find My Next Passenger?, in Ubicomp 2011, ACM, 17 September 2011.
- Yu Zheng, Yanchi Liu, Jing Yuan, and Xing Xie, Urban Computing with Taxicabs, in Ubicomp 2011, ACM, 16 September 2011.
- John Krumm and A.J. Brush, Learning Time-Based Presence Probabilities, in Pervasive 2011, Springer Verlag, June 2011.
- A. J. Bernheim Brush, Amy K. Karlson, James Scott, Raman Sarin, Andy Jacobs, Barry Bond, Oscar Murillo, Galen Hunt, Mike Sinclair, Kerry Hammil, and Steven Levi, User Experiences with Activity-Based Navigation on Mobile Devices, in Proceedings of MobileHCI 2010, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., September 2010.
- James Scott, Shahram Izadi, Leila Sadat Rezai, Dominika Ruszkowski, Xiaojun Bi, and Ravin Balakrishnan, RearType: Text Entry Using Keys on the Back of a Device, in Proceedings of MobileHCI 2010, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., September 2010.
- A.J. Brush, John Krumm, and James Scott, Activity Recognition Research: The Good, the Bad, and the Future, in Pervasive 2010 Workshop How to do Good Research in Activity Recognition, Microsoft Research, May 2010.
- James Scott, John Krumm, Brian Meyers, A. J. Brush, and Ashish Kapoor, Home Heating Using GPS-Based Arrival Prediction, in Proceedings of Pervasive 2010 Workshop on Energy Awareness and Conservation through Pervasive Applications, Microsoft Research, May 2010.
- Jonathan Lester, Desney Tan, Shwetak Patel, and A.J. Brush, Automatic Classification of Daily Fluid Intake, in Pervasive Health 2010 Proceedings, IEEE, 22 March 2010.
- David H. Nguyen, Gabriela Marcu, Gillian R. Hayes, Khai N. Truong, James Scott, Marc Langheinrich, and Christof Roduner, Encountering SenseCam: Personal Recording Technologies in Everyday Life, in Proceedings of UbiComp 2009, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., September 2009.
- James Scott, Lorna M. Brown, and Mike Molloy, Mobile Device Interaction with Force Sensing, in Proceedings of Pervasive 2009, LNCS 5538, Springer Verlag, May 2009.
- Yu Zheng, Xing Xie, and Wei-Ying Ma, Understanding mobility based on GPS data, in Ubicomp 2008, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 21 September 2008.
- Ignas Budvytis, James Scott, and Alex Butler, Compass-based Automatic Picture Taking using SenseCam, in Adjunct Proceedings of Pervasive 2008, Springer Verlag, May 2008.
- James Scott, Challenges for Privacy with Ubiquitous Sensor Logging, in Proceedings of the Pervasive 2008 Workshop on Security and Privacy Issues in Mobile Phone Use, Springer Verlag, March 2008.
- Nishkam Ravi, James Scott, Lu Han, and Liviu Iftode, Context-aware Battery Management for Mobile Phones, in Proceedings of the Sixth Annual IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom 2008), IEEE, 2008.
- A.J. Brush and Kori Inkpen, Yours, Mine and Ours? Sharing and Use of Technology in Domestic Environments, in Ubicomp 2007, Springer, September 2007.
- Barry Brown, Alex Taylor, Shahram Izadi, Abigail Sellen, Joseph Jofish’ Kaye, and Rachel Eardley, Locating family values: A field trial of the Whereabouts Clock, in Proceedings of Ubicomp 2007, Springer-Verlag, 2007.
- A.J. Bernheim Brush, Tammara Combs Turner, Marc A. Smith, and Neeti Gupta, Scanning Objects in the Wild: Assessing an Object Triggered Information System, Springer-Verlag, September 2005.
- Mike Hazas, James Scott, and John Krumm, Location-Aware Computing Comes of Age, in IEEE Computer, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 95–97, IEEE, February 2004.
We are always looking for top candidates for internships, post-docs and permanent research staff at Microsoft Research. Please visit Microsoft Research Careers for more information on how to apply.