The Networked Embedded Computing Group has become the
The proliferation of embedded and personal devices such as networked sensors and mobile phones gives us increasing capability of gathering data from the physical worlds and our personal activities. Capturing, understanding, and exploiting such information will continue to revolutionize how technologies can serve people, provide awareness, improve efficiency, and reduce resource consumption.
The Networked Embedded Computing Group at Microsoft Research is developing new architectures, hardware and software platforms, system and network organization principles, energy and data management techniques, signal and information processing algorithms, and novel applications to advance the state of art in sensing and energy-efficient systems. The application domains of our research include wireless sensor network, asset management, mobile computing, personalized on-line services, green data centers, and elastic cloud computing.
- Subjective Sensing: The essence of the project is to sense a person as a subjective individual, rather than an objective entity in motion. Leveraging sensors on mobile devices and in the environment, ubiquitous network connectivity, and increasingly powerful computing cloud, we are developing a framework to extract subjective information such as user preference, intent, and priority. We investigate sensing and information processing, resource management, privacy control, programming interface, and on-line services to enable the next generation personalized computing experience.
- Little Rock: A novel mobile phone architecture to support low power continuous sensing and context extraction.
- SONGO (Search ON the GO): a web search caching and pre-fetching system for mobile devices that allows most of the submitted queries to be served locally without having to use the 3G link. Combining personalized information collected by the mobile devices, SONGO also enables delivering personalized search and advertisement.
- DataCAM: The DataCAM project explores problems related to collection, archival, and mining of massive time series data such as resource utilization traces from a data center, search and browser logs, etc.
- JouleMeter: A software based mechanism to measure the energy usage of virtual machines (VMs), servers, desktops, laptops, and even individual applications running on a computer. In Green 99, a collaborative project between the Networked Embedded Computing group and the Networking Research Group, we use JouleMeter to measure the benefit of using a sleep server in enterprise computing environment, as well as to provide feedback to users on their PC energy consumption.
- Data Center Genome: A joint project between Microsoft Research (MSR) and Microsoft Global Foundation Services (GFS). The goal of the project is to use data-driven and feedback control approaches to monitor, analyze, and improve data center operation efficiencies, to maximize data center capacity utilization, and to minimize their environmental impacts.
- SenseWeb: A geo-based web interface for publishing and browsing live sensor data.
- MSR Sense: MSR Networked Embedded Sensing Toolkit
- SONGS: Service-Oriented Programming of Networks of Sensors
- Tinker: A Tool for Designing Data-Centric Sensor Networks
- Klaus Berberich, Arnd Christian König, Dimitrios Lymberopoulos, and Peixiang Zhao, Improving Local Search Ranking through External Logs, in 34th Annual ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR 2011) , ACM, July 2011
- Harold Lim, Aman Kansal, and Jie Liu, Power Budgeting for Virtualized Data Centers, in 2011 USENIX Annual Technical Conference (USENIX ATC '11), USENIX, 15 June 2011
- Weiwei Xiong and Aman Kansal, Energy Efficient Data Intensive Distributed Computing, in IEEE Data Engineering (Special Issue on Energy Aware Big Data Processing), IEEE Computer Society, 31 March 2011
- Emmanouil Koukoumidis, Dimitrios Lymberpoulos, Karin Strauss, Jie Liu, and Doug Burger, Pocket Cloudlets, in ASPLOS 2011 (International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems, ACM, March 2011
- Chieh-Jan Mike Liang, Nissanka Bodhi Priyantha, Jie Liu, and Andreas Terzis, Surviving Wi-Fi Interference in Low Power ZigBee Networks, in Proceedings of the 8th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys 2010), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 2 November 2010
- Hossein Ahmadi, Nam Pham, Raghu Ganti, Tarek Abdelzaher, Suman Nath, and Jiawei Han, Privacy-aware Regression Modelling of Participatory Sensing Data, in SenSys'10: The ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., November 2010
- Jie Liu, Automatic Server to Circuit Mapping with The Red Pills, in 2010 Workshop on Power Aware Computing and Systems (HotPower '10), USENIX, 3 October 2010
- Christos Kozyrakis, Aman Kansal, Sriram Sankar, and Kushagra Vaid, Server Engineering Insights for Large-Scale Online Services, in IEEE Micro, IEEE, July 2010
- Jie Liu, Michel Goraczko, Aman Kansal, Dimitrios Lymberopoulos, Suman Nath, and Bodhi Priyantha, Subjective Sensing: Mission Statement and A Research Agenda, no. MSR-TR-2010-108, July 2010
- Joshua Reich, Michel Goraczko, Aman Kansal, and Jitu Padhye, Sleepless In Seattle No Longer, in USENIX Annual Technical Conference, USENIX, 22 June 2010
- Kaisen Lin, Aman Kansal, Dimitrios Lymberopoulos, and Feng Zhao, Energy-Accuracy Trade-off for Continuous Mobile Device Location, in ACM Mobisys, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 15 June 2010
- Aman Kansal, Feng Zhao, Jie Liu, Nupur Kothari, and Arka Bhattacharya, Virtual Machine Power Metering and Provisioning , in ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing (SOCC), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 10 June 2010
- Arsalan Tavakoli, Aman Kansal, and Suman Nath, On-line Sensing Task Optimization for Shared Sensors, in IPSN 2010, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 12 April 2010
- Charles Loboz, Slawek Smyl, and Suman Nath, DataGarage: Warehousing Massive Performance Data on Commodity Servers, no. MSR-TR-2010-22, March 2010
- Bodhi Priyantha, Dimitrios Lymberopoulos, and Jie Liu, LittleRock: Enabing Energy Efficient Continuous Sensing on Moble Phones, no. MSR-TR-2010-14, 18 February 2010
- Emmanouil Koukoumidis, Dimitrios Lymberopoulos, Jie Liu, and Doug Burger, Improving Mobile Search Experience with SONGO, no. MSR-TR-2010-15, 18 February 2010
- Suman Nath, SenseWeb: An Infrastructure for Shared Sensing, in US-Korea Conference on Science, Technology, and Entrepreneurship (UKC), 2010
- Charles Loboz, Slawek Smyl, and Suman Nath, DataGarage: Warehousing Massive Performance Data on Commodity Servers, in VLDB'10: The 36th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, Very Large Data Bases Endowment Inc., 2010
- Nicholas Lane, Dimitrios Lymberopoulos, Feng Zhao, and Andrew Campbell, Hapori: Context-based Local Search for Mobile Phones Using Community Behavioral Modeling and Similarity, in 12th International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing (Ubicomp 2010), ACM, 2010
- Ashok Anand, Chitra Muthukrishnan, Steven Kappes, Aditya Akella, and Suman Nath, Cheap and Large CAMs for High-performance Data-intensive Networked Systems , in NSDI'10: 7th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, USENIX, 2010
- Suman Nath and Phillip B. Gibbons, Online Maintenance of Very Large Random Samples on Flash Storage, in VLDB Journal, vol. 19, issue 1, Very Large Data Bases Endowment Inc., 2010
- Nam Pham Duc, Raghu Kiran Ganti, Md. Yusuf S Uddin, Suman Nath, and Tarek Abdelzaher, Privacy-Preserving Reconstruction of Multidimensional Data Maps in Vehicular Participatory Sensing, in EWSN '2010: 7th European Conference on Wireless Sensor Networks, Springer Verlag, 2010
- Vibhor Rastogi and Suman Nath, Differentially Private Aggregation of Distributed Time-Series with Transformation and Encryption, in SIGMOD '10: Proceedings of the 2010 ACM SIGMOD international conference on Management of data, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 2010
- Nam Pham, Tarek Abdelzaher, and Suman Nath, On Bounding Data Stream Privacy in Distributed Cyber-physical Systems, in SUTC'2010: IEEE International Conference on Sensor Networks, Ubiquitous, and Trustworthy Computing , IEEE, 2010
- Chieh-Jan Mike Liang, Jie Liu, Liqian Luo, Andreas Terzis, and Feng Zhao, RACNet: A High-Fidelity Data Center Sensing Network, in Proceedings of The 7th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys 2009), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., November 2009
News and Events
- ZDNet: Microsoft mobile search cache enables 'search on the go' (SONGO), March 2010
- Greenm3: Microsoft Research Paper, Measuring Energy use of a Virtual Machine, March 2010
- IDG News (appeared on PC World, Computer World, etc.): Microsoft shows off Data-center Monitoring System, July 2008
- New Scientist: Delaying data could cut net's carbon footprint, May 2008
- MIT Technology Review: Saving Energy in Data Centers, March 2008
- Popular science (Posci.com): Microsoft Practices Sensor-ship, March 2008
- KOMO4 News: Microsoft Research: From cells to solar system, March 2008
- SenseWeb and SwissEx collaboration was demostrated at World Economy Forum at Davos in 2009 and 2010
- SenseWeb Project was cited in "The Year in Infotech", MIT Technology Review, December 2006.
- UW/MSR Summer Institute on World-Wide Sensor Web, August 6-9, 2006, Semiahmoo, Washington, USA.
- Microsoft Research Sensor Networks Workshop 2005, October 10-11, 2005, Woodinville, Washington
- SensorMap: Browsing the Physical World in Real-Time: an External Research Program with 11 universities worldwide.
- Sensormap and Toolkit Tutorial Saturday April 28, 2007, Cambridge, MA.
- SensorMap - A Microsoft Research Request for Research Proposals (RFP) - is published January 2007.
- mPlatform, a heterogeneous multi-processor embedded platform, was developed, September 2006.
- Microsoft's Plan to Map the World in Real Time, Technology Review, May 8, 2006
- How to Build a Smart World, by Suzanne Ross of Microsoft Research News