The Audio and Acoustics group conducts research in audio processing and speech enhancement, 3D audio perception and technologies, devices for audio capture and rendering, array processing, information extraction from audio signals.
The mission of the Audio and Acoustics Group is to develop state of the art algorithms and designs for audio processing, speech enhancement, 3D audio capture and rendering. We also work on the better acoustical design of audio devices, such as microphones and loudspeakers. The group conducts research in the area of information retrieval from audio signals, such as speaker identification, emotion detection, etc. Our goal is to create technologies enabling natural interaction with computers with speech and audio. At the same time, we try to impact Microsoft's current and future offerings in these areas.
Contact for the Audio and Acoustics Research Group is Ivan Tashev.
The Audio team on Crystal Mountain on March 13th 2014.
- Ivan Dokmanic, EPFL, Switzerland, 2013. Ultrasound Depth Imaging.
- Piotr Bilinski, INRIA, France, 2013. HRTF Personalization Using Anthropometric Features.
- Kun Han, Ohio State University, USA, 2013. Emotion Detection from Speech Signals.
- Keith Godin, University of Texas at Dallas, USA, 2012. Open-set Speaker Identification on Noisy, Short Utterances.
- Jason Wung, Georgia Tech, USA, 2012. Next Steps in Multi-Channel Acoustic Echo reduction for Xbox Kinect.
- Xing Li, University of Washington, USA, 2012. Dynamic Loudness Control for In-Car Audio.
- Keith Godin, University of Texas at Dallas, USA, 2011. Binaural Sound Source Localization.
- Hoang Do, Brown University, USA, 2010. A Step Towards NUI: Speaker Verification for Gaming Scenarios.
- Mark R. P. Thomas, Felicia Lim, Ivan J. Tashev, and Patrick A. Naylor, Optimal Beamforming as a Time Domain Equalization Problem with Applications to Room Acoustics, International Workshop on Acoustic Signal Enhancement (IWAENC), 9 September 2014
- Ivan J. Tashev, Technological Trends in Natural User Interfaces, in Computing Now, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. [online], IEEE – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, September 2014
- Ivan Dokmanic and Ivan Tashev, Hardware and Algorithms for Ultrasonic Depth Imaging, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 9 May 2014
- P. Bilinski, J. Ahrens, M. R. P. Thomas, I. J. Tashev, and J. C. Platt, HRTF Magnitude Synthesis via Sparse Representation of Anthropometric Features, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 4 May 2014
- M. R. P. Thomas, J. Ahrens, and I. J. Tashev, A Method for Converting Between Cylindrical and Spherical Harmonic Representations of Sound Fields, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 4 May 2014
- Ivan Tashev, HRTF Phase Synthesis via Sparse Representation of Anthropometric Features, University of California - San Diego, 13 February 2014
- J. Ahrens, M. R. P. Thomas, and I. J. Tashev, Gentle Acoustic Crosstalk Cancelation Using the Spectral Division Method and Ambiophonics, in Proc. IEEE Workshop on Applications of Signal Processing to Audio and Acoustics, New Paltz, New York, October 2013
- J. Ahrens, M. R. P. Thomas, and I. J. Tashev, Efficient Implementation of the Spectral Division Method for Arbitrary Virtual Sound Fields, in Proc. IEEE Workshop on Applications of Signal Processing to Audio and Acoustics, New Paltz, New York, October 2013
- Ivan Tashev, Kinect Development Kit: A Toolkit for Gesture- and Speech-Based Human-Machine Interaction, in Signal Processing Magazine, IEEE, September 2013
- Ivan Tashev and Malcolm Slaney, Data Driven Suppression Rule for Speech Enhancement, in Information Theory and Applications Workshop , University of California - San Diego, 14 February 2013
- Kenichi Kumatani, Takayuki Arakawa, Kazumasa Yamamoto, John McDonough, Bhiksha Raj, Rita Singh, and Ivan Tashev, Microphone Array Processing for Distant Speech Recognition: Towards Real-World Deployment, in APSIPA Annual Summit and Conference, Hollywood, CA, USA, 5 December 2012
- Jens Ahrens, Mark R.P. Thomas, and Ivan Tashev, HRTF Magnitude Modeling Using a Non-Regularized Least-Squares Fit of Spherical Harmonics Coefficients on Incomplete Data, in APSIPA Annual Summit and Conference, Hollywood, CA, USA, 4 December 2012
- Mark R. P. Thomas, Jens Ahrens, and Ivan Tashev, Beamformer Design Using Measured Microphone Directivity Patterns: Robustness to Modelling Error, in APSIPA Annual Summit and Conference, Hollywood, CA, USA, December 2012
- Mark R. P. Thomas, Jens Ahrens, and Ivan Tashev, Optimal 3D Beamforming Using Measured Microphone Directivity Patterns, Proc. Intl. Workshop Acoust. Signal Enhancement (IWAENC), Aachen, Germany, 4 September 2012
- Ivan J. Tashev, Coherence Based Double Talk Detector with Soft Decision, IEEE International Confrence on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 27 March 2012
- Ivan J. Tashev, Optimizing Kinect: Audio and Acoustics, in Inormation Technologies and Applications Workshop, University of California - San Diego, 8 February 2012
- Ivan J. Tashev, Audio for Kinect: Nearly Impossible (invited talk), in IEEE International Conference on Emerging Signal Processing Applications, IEEE SPS, 14 January 2012
- George Nychis, Ranveer Chandra, Thomas Moscibroda, Ivan Tashev, and Peter Steenkiste, Reclaiming the White Spaces: Spectrum Efficient Coexistence with Primary Users, in ACM CoNEXT (selected as one of top 3 papers), ACM, December 2011
- Ivan Tashev, Coherence Based Double Talk Detector with Adaptive Threshold, in XX Scientific Conference ELECTRONICS ET2011, Technical University of Sofia Publishing House, 15 September 2011
- Ivan Tashev, Recent Advances in Human-Machine Interfaces for Gaming and Entertainment, in International Journal on Information Technology and Security, vol. III, no. 3, pp. 69-76, Union of Scientists in Bulgaria, September 2011
- Hoang Do, Ivan Tashev, and Alex Acero, A New Speaker Identification Algorithm for Gaming Scenarios, in ICASSP, IEEE, May 2011