VIBEVis is a team of Information Visualization researchers from MSR VIBE and beyond. We are interested in ways to display and interact with large amounts of data. We apply our work to task management, personal information management, software visualization, business visualization, community visualization, graph and tree visualization, entertainment, and visual analytics for homeland security.
Information Visualization (or InfoVis) is a research area dedicated to gaining insight by representing data visually. At Microsoft Research, the VIBEVis group broadly approaches:
- Core principles of data visualization
- Methods to build visualization toolkits and languages
- The application of visualization to problems both within and without Microsoft
We apply our work to diverse fields including task management, personal information management, graph and tree visualization, entertainment, and visual analytics for homeland security.
Contact us as vibevis at Microsoft
- Danyel Fisher, Badrish Chandramouli, Robert DeLine, Jonathan Goldstein, Andrei Aron, Mike Barnett, John C. Platt, James F. Terwilliger, John Wernsing, danyelf badrishc, and rdeline jongold, Tempe: An Interactive Data Science Environment for Exploration of Temporal and Streaming Data, no. MSR-TR-2014-148, November 2014.
- Badrish Chandramouli, Jonathan Goldstein, Mike Barnett, Robert DeLine, Danyel Fisher, John C. Platt, James F. Terwilliger, and John Wernsing, The Trill Incremental Analytics Engine, no. MSR-TR-2014-54, April 2014.
- Nivan Ferreira, Danyel Fisher, and Arnd Christian König, Sample-Oriented Task-Driven Visualizations: Allowing Users to Make Better, More Confident Decisions, in Proceedings of Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2014), ACM, April 2014.
- Jessica Hullman, Steven Drucker, Nathalie Henry Riche, Bongshin Lee, Danyel Fisher, and Eytan Adar, A Deeper Understanding of Sequence in Narrative Visualization, in Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG) Proceedings of Infovis 2013, IEEE, October 2013.
- Danyel Fisher, Steven M. Drucker, and A. Christian König, Exploratory Visualization Involving Incremental, Approximate Database Queries and Uncertainty, in IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, IEEE, July 2012.
- Danyel Fisher, Igor Popov, Steven M. Drucker, and mc schraefel, Trust Me, I'm Partially Right: Incremental Visualization Lets Analysts Explore Large Datasets Faster, in Proceedings of the 2012 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2012), ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, 5 May 2012.
- Petra Isenberg, Danyel Fisher, Sharoda A. Paul, Meredith Ringel Morris, Kori Inkpen, and Mary Czerwinski, Co-Located Collaborative Visual Analytics around a Tabletop Display, IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Volume 18 Issue 5, May 2012.
- Danyel Fisher, Rob DeLine, Mary Czerwinski, and Steven Drucker, Interactions with Big Data Analytics, in ACM Interactions, ACM, May 2012.
- Bongshin Lee, Nathalie henry riche, and Mary Czerwinski, Understanding the verbal language and structure of end-user descriptions of data visualizations, ACM Conference on Computer-Human Interaction, May 2012.
- Jagoda Walny, Sheelagh Carpendale, Nathalie Henry Riche, Gina Venolia, and Phillip Fawcett, Visual Thinking In Action: Visualizations As Used On Whiteboards, in IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 2508-2517, IEEE, December 2011.
- Danyel Fisher, Incremental, Approximate Database Queries and Uncertainty for Exploratory Visualization, in IEEE Symposium on Large Data Analysis and Visualization, IEEE, 23 October 2011.
- Steven M. Drucker, Danyel Fisher, and Sumit Basu, Helping Users Sort Faster with Adaptive Machine Learning Recommendations, in Proceedings of Interact 2011, Springer, September 2011.
- Uta Hinrichs, Danyel Fisher, and Nathalie Henry Riche, ResearchWave: An Ambient Visualization for Providing Awareness of Research Activities, in Proceedings of the ACM SIGCHI conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS), ACM, August 2010.
- Sumit Basu, Danyel Fisher, Steven M. Drucker, and Hao Lu, Assisting Users with Clustering Tasks by Combining Metric Learning and Classification, in Proceedings of the Twenty-Fourth Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2010), American Association for Artificial Intelligence , July 2010.
- Danyel Fisher, Animation for Visualization: Opportunities and Drawbacks, in Beautiful Visualization, Microsoft, April 2010.
- Chris North, Tim Dwyer, Bongshin Lee, Danyel Fisher, Petra Isenberg, George Robertson, and Kori Inkpen, Understanding Multi-touch Manipulation for Surface Computing, in 12th IFIP TC13 Conference in Human-Computer Interaction (INTERACT 2009), Springer Verlag, August 2009.
- Petra Isenberg and Danyel Fisher, Collaborative Brushing and Linking for Co-located Visual Analytics of Document Collections, in Proceedings of Eurovis 2009, Eurographics , June 2009.
- George Robertson, Mary Czerwinski, Danyel Fisher, and Bongshin Lee, Selected Human Factors Issues in Information Visualization, in Reviews of Human Factors and Ergonomics, Sage, June 2009.
- Danyel Fisher, The Impact of Hotmap, Microsoft, May 2009.
- Sonja Knoll, Aaron Hoff, Danyel Fisher, Susan Dumais, and Ed Cutrell, Viewing Personal Data Over Time, April 2009.
- Danyel Fisher, Aaron Hoff, George Robertson, and Matthew Hurst, Narratives: A Visualization to Track Narrative Events as they Develop, in IEEE Visual Analytics Science and Technology (VAST), IEEE, October 2008.
- Danyel Fisher, David A. Maltz, Albert Greenberg, Xiaoyu Wang, Heather Warncke, George Robertson, and Mary Czerwinski, Using Visualization to Support Network and Application Management in a Data Center, in Internet Network Management Workshop at ICNP, October 2008.
- Tim Paek, Bo Thiesson, Y. C. Ju, and Bongshin Lee, Search Vox: Leveraging multimodal refinement and partial knowledge for mobile voice search, in Proceedings of User Interface Software and Technology (UIST), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., October 2008.
- Bongshin Lee, Lev Nachmanson, George G. Robertson, Jonathan Carlson, and David Heckerman, Det. (Distance Encoded Tree): A Scalable Visualization Tool for Mapping Multiple Traits to Large Evolutionary Trees, no. MSR-TR-2008-97, July 2008.
- Meredith Skeels, Bongshin Lee, Greg Smith, and George Robertson, Revealing Uncertainty for Information Visualization, in Advanced Visual Interfaces 2008, April 2008.
Software and Downloads
Toolkits for Developers
Other Microsoft Visualization Components
Microsoft Chart Controls for .NET (WinForms)