With HD View, you can view and interact with very large images on the Web. HD View supports smooth panning and zooming, as well as appropriate viewing perspectives as you zoom in and out. HD View also makes creating and hosting your own HD View images easy. HD View is available as a plug-in for Windows-based browsers, including Internet Explorer and Firefox.
Note By installing, copying, or otherwise using this software, you agree to be bound by the terms of its license. Read the license.
HD View Features
Recent advances in camera and sensor technology and software for stitching images together has led to the creation of images containing billions of pixels (gigapixels). These images are often panoramic, that is, they cover very wide fields of view. Since monitors typically contain only one to two million pixels, it is only possible to actually see 1/1000th of such image data at once. Also, viewing very wide fields of view require unwrapping of an image projected onto a curved surface (think of a map of the world) which can cause distortions. HD View takes advantage of current graphics hardware to allow smooth panning and zooming as well as the viewing transformation.
A detail of an HD View image.
HD View Features
- Allows smooth panning and zooming on large images.
- Downloads only enough data to create the current view (and possibly look ahead to the next).
- Always display the current field of view with an appropriate projection. This means that when zoomed way in you should be presented with a standard perspective projection providing a sense of immersion, and when zoomed out you experience a curved projection so that get a full overview of the scene. In between the projection should smoothly transition.
- Create your own HD View content easily, and present it to the world on the web.
- Operating system: Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (32-bit version)
- Click the Download button at the top of this page.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the download.