WorldWide Telescope Academic Program
Through our collaborations with astronomers worldwide, we have released WorldWide Telescope (WWT) user interface (UI) localization support in several languages, including Simplified Chinese, Spanish, German, Russian, and Hindi.
WorldWide Telescope user interface localization support
To make the WWT UI language support more efficient and more of a community effort, we now provide a mechanism for users to localize WWT UI by using their own local language translations.
WWT UI Localization Instructions
Follow these steps to display the WWT UI in your preferred language:
- Save the following file to your local disk: lang_en.txt.
- Open the file in a text editor, such as Notepad or Microsoft Visual Studio.
Note: There are two columns in the lang_en.txt file. The two columns are separated by a tab character. It is important to keep that structure or the file will not work as expected. Do not add new tabs or the text will be truncated.
- The left column is string IDs, which you must not modify.
- The right column is WWT UI strings in U.S. English, which you may translate to the language of your choice.
- Replace each text string in column #2 with your translation and then save the file.
Note: We suggest you rename the file to avoid confusion. For example, if your language is Italian, you might rename it lang_Italian.txt.
- In WWT, go to Settings | Select Your Language.
- In the drop-down list box, select Load Local Language Pack.
- In the pop-up combo box, select the file that you created in Step 3, let WWT re-start, and you will see the WWT UI translated into your selected language.
- Please be sure that you have installed the latest version of WorldWide Telescope.
- This localization process works only for users who have access to the localization file you create. You can share the file with your students, colleagues, and others as you see fit.
- Localization is not yet available for some components, such as Layer Manager. We will update the lang_en.txt file available from this page when localization for these components becomes available.
Local Language Pack Downloads
This is the original WWT UI string file, which was last updated on May 16, 2011.
National Astronomical Observatories, Chinese Academy of Sciences
If you would like to share your translated file through this website, send your file to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will review the file and make it downloadable either from this website, or cross link from this website to your server if it provides a stable URL for the file download.