Working with members of the research community and developers in the Microsoft Office Product group, we are developing a series of technologies for scientists—built on existing community protocols and practices—to advance semantic knowledge discovery.
Scholarly Communications for Science
Collecting and analyzing data and then authoring, publishing, and preserving information are essential components researchers' daily work. At each phase, Microsoft technologies play a fundamental role. The Microsoft External Research vision is to support the scholarly communications lifecycle with software and services so that data and information flow in a coordinated and seamless fashion. Learn more…
Chemistry Add-in for Word
Chemistry-related add-in for authoring and semantic annotation in Microsoft Office Word. This approach to chemistry authoring is modeled after the mathematic equation authoring in Word 2007 and takes advantage of the user-interface and XML extensibility options provided by Office 2007. In collaboration with Unilever Centre for Molecular Science Informatics, Cambridge University, UK.
Tools and Services
Add-ins from Microsoft
- Article Authoring Add-in for Microsoft Office Word 2007
Open and Save Microsoft Office world files in National Library of medicine XML format.
- Chemistry Add-in for Word
Chemistry-related add-in for authoring and semantic annotation in Microsoft Office Word.
- Creative Commons Add-in for Microsoft Office
Embed a Creative Commons license directly in Microsoft Office 2007 documents. See also the version for Office 2003 and Office XP.
- Microsoft Mathematics Add-In for Word and OneNote
Add computational and graphing capabilities.
See how from Office Online
See also Unicode Nearly Plain Text Encoding of Mathematics.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Data Mining Add-ins for Microsoft Office 2007
Data mining directly from Microsoft Excel.
CodePlex and SourceForge
- OfficeSWORD on CodePlex
Sample plugin for uploading Microsoft Office documents directly to a repository using the SWORD protocol.
- NodeXL on Codeplex
A pair of applications for viewing network graphs and adding network graphs to custom applications.
- Open XML / ODF Translator Add-ins for Office on SourceForge
Interoperability between applications based on OpenDocument standards and Microsoft OpenXML Office applications
- UOF and OpenXML Translator on SourceForge
Interoperability between Uniform Office Format standard and Microsoft OpenXML
See also: Document Interop Initiative
Tips and Usage Guidelines
- Math in Office: Murray Sargent's Blog on MSDN
Focus on mathematics in Microsoft Office and the RichEdit editor.
For example: Improved MathML Support in Word 2007
- FAQ for Scholarly Publication Add-ins
Machine Translation And Terminology Services
- Bing Translator – Online Translation Service (powered by Microsoft Research-developed systems)
- Microsoft Translator Widget
- Microsoft Language Portal (community forum, style guides, and terminology references for localization)
- Microsoft Translator (and Bing Translator) Team Blog