Travel Grants provide students at Indian universities with funding to help them attend conferences outside India. These Microsoft Research India grants may also be awarded to students who already receive financial assistance, but need additional funds to travel to a conference outside India.
- The grants are open to students who are enrolled at an Indian university. Applicants should be students who are working towards their bachelor’s, master’s, or PhD degree.
- Eligible students must be enrolled in computer science, electrical engineering, electrical/electronics communication engineering, mathematics, or a field that closely relates to computer science.
- Recipients of Microsoft Research India PhD Fellowships are not eligible for Travel Grants since this is already covered as part of their fellowship.
- Grant funds may be used only towards covering the costs of attending conferences that are being held outside India.
- The applicant must be an author of the paper that is to be presented at the conference. Preference will be given to applicants who are primary authors. Preference will also be given to papers that are selected for regular oral presentation (full or short) over papers that are selected for poster presentation or publication in the proceedings without any presentation.
- Travel grants may only be used for the following expenses towards attending the conference:
- Registration fees
- Transportation fare (for example, airline or train tickets)
- Visa fees
- Local transportation
- Incidental expenses that are related to attending the conference
How to Apply
Students must submit separate applications for each conference that they wish to attend. The grants are currently open for application all the year round.
- Sign up to create your online application.
- Complete the required fields in the online application form.
- Each applicant must also submit the following:
- Conference acceptance letter
- The accepted paper or a synopsis of the accepted paper (maximum 500 words)
- A document that lists individual expenses you expect to incur, totaling to the full amount you are requesting through this Travel Grant
Travel Grant Awards
The Travel Grants are awarded based on the merit of each application. Applications will be reviewed by a panel of researchers at Microsoft Research India.
- Each applicant will be notified by email of the status of his/her Travel Grant application and the amount that has been approved for the grant.
- Microsoft Research India does not disburse the Travel Grant directly to the travelling student. The grant is paid out to the student’s university/institute from which the student may claim the expenses by using regular university/institute procedures.
- All students who receive Travel Grants must mention “Supported by Microsoft Research India Travel Grant” in any publications or presentations connected with the paper and the conference for which the grant was provided.