Microsoft Research India PhD Fellowships support PhD students at Indian universities while they pursue doctoral education in computer science and related areas. The fellowships are awarded after a rigorous selection process that includes application, letters of reference, and selection by a panel of leading researchers.
About the Fellowships
For each academic year, Microsoft Research India awards five PhD Fellowships.
- The award comprises a monthly stipend that will be disbursed to the awardee over a maximum period of four years. This monthly sum can be used for tuition, books, stipends, and/or any other expenses.
- Each PhD Fellow receives a laptop computer and a separate sum of INR 2,50,000 (rupees two lakh fifty thousand only) for travel to conferences and seminars during the term of the Fellowship.
- Each Fellow will be invited to various events conducted by Microsoft Research and will have the opportunity to interact with researchers at Microsoft Research India.
- Students must be enrolled in a PhD program at an Indian university.
- Students must be in the first, second, or third year of their PhD studies.
- Students who are studying computer science, electrical engineering, electrical/electronics, communication engineering, mathematics, and other fields closely related to computer science are eligible to apply.
For Applicants: How to Apply
- The application process is completely online. Sign up to create your application by using the online application system.
- Apart from personal details, each applicant must submit the following:
- Research Statement of Purpose (maximum 500 words)
- Email IDs (email addresses) of three reference writers
- Only the required fields on the application form must be filled in when you create your new application. You may log in later to upload the Research Statement of Purpose and provide email IDs of reference writers.
- Your application must be completed and submitted by 11:00 P.M. India Standard Time (10:30 A.M. Pacific Time), Friday, April 19, 2013. Late applications will not be accepted.
For Reference Writers: How to Upload Reference Letters
- Applicants must provide email IDs of the three reference writers. The system will create user IDs based on those three email IDs.
- As an identified reference writer, you will receive an email message from “MSR India PhD Fellowship Application System” requesting the reference letter. If you do not receive the email, you may need to check your junk email folder.
- Click the link in the email message to navigate to the application system website. The first time you use the system, click Reset your password to have a password emailed to you.
- The password email will come from “CMT Password Assistance”. (You may need to check your junk email folder.)
- Once you receive your password, you can log in to the application system by using your email ID and the password. Then you can upload your reference letter in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format. (These are the only formats accepted.)
- You may return to the system to modify or delete the reference letter(s) that you have uploaded for applicants.
- All reference letters must be completed and uploaded by 11:00 P.M. India Standard Time (10:30 A.M. Pacific Time), Friday, April 19, 2013. Reference letters cannot be uploaded or modified after this deadline.
- Applications must be submitted: Friday, April 19, 2013, 11:00 P.M. IST (10:30 A.M. PT)
- Reference letters must be uploaded: Friday, April 19, 2013, 11:00 P.M. IST (10:30 A.M. PT)
- Announcement of 2013 India PhD Fellows: Tuesday, June 4, 2013