Events and Conferences
Europe and Russia
- School on Algorithms for Massive Data 2013Organized by Microsoft Research in cooperation with Yandex and Lomonosov Moscow State University, the Microsoft School on Algorithms for Massive Data (ALMADA) offers students a unique opportunity to learn about fundamental and state-of-the-art results on algorithms and systems for processing massive datasets. The school offers four courses on technical topics, and additional lectures will provide context for real-life applications and business opportunities.
Moscow, Russia· 31 July7 August 2013
- PhD Summer School 2013An annual Microsoft Research event, the PhD Summer School is for Microsoft Research-sponsored PhD students and other invited PhD students in their first or second year from universities and research institutions with which Microsoft Research partners. In addition to lectures, the program includes students’ poster presentations and evening social events.
Cambridge, UK· 15 July 2013
- Machine Learning Summit 2013The Microsoft Research Machine Learning Summit brought together thought leaders and researchers from a broad range of disciplines including computer science, engineering, statistics, and mathematics. Together, we highlighted some of the key challenges posed by the new era of machine learning and identified the next generation of approaches, techniques, and tools that will be needed to exploit the information revolution for the benefit of society.
Paris, France· 2224 April 2013
- International Women’s Hackathon 2013The Women’s Hackathon was a crowdsourcing event to empower young women leaders in computer science. By providing a fun and safe environment in which to explore computing, the hackathon encouraged and supported young university women around the world to become producers of future innovations in technology and help solve challenges in the world today. We hope to work together to turn this into an event that takes place annually during Engineering Week.
Worldwide on university campuses· 2224 February 2013
- Principles of Programming Languages 2013A forum for discussing all aspects of programming languages and systems, the annual Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages emphasises how principles underpin practice. The selected theoretical and experimental papers that were presented included formal frameworks, experience reports, and high-quality expositions or elucidations of existing concepts that are likely to yield new insights. Microsoft Research was a sponsor of the event.
Rome, Italy· 2325 January 2013
- Data Driven Functional Programming Workshop 2013Functional programming techniques are increasingly important in data-centric programming. This workshop examined data-centric programming in the light of today’s data challenges, particularly the application of functional programming and meta-programming techniques. In this forum, we discussed the use of functional programming in information rich data spaces—including the development of new programming and data manipulation systems and the extension of existing ones.
Rome, Italy· 22 January 2013
- 2012 Summer School on ConcurrencyThe 2012 Russian Summer School on Concurrency and Parallelism in Software was held August 22–29, 2012, in Saint Petersburg, Russia. An annual Microsoft Research event, the Summer School is intended for PhD and master’s students as well as young scientists. This year, we invited eight of the world’s top experts in concurrency and parallelism to lecture at the school. In addition to lectures, the program included practical sessions, homework, and students’ poster presentations.
St. Petersburg, Russia· 2229 August 2012