The Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship is a two-year fellowship program for outstanding PhD students nominated by their universities. To be eligible for this fellowship, you must apply during your second or third year of PhD studies. Fellowships are granted by Microsoft Research at the discretion of Microsoft.
- Microsoft Research is no longer accepting applications. The submission deadline was Tuesday, October 9, 2013.
- Applicants will be notified no later than February 12, 2014
Provisions of the award
- The fellowship recipient award will cover 100 percent of the tuition and fees for two academic years (2014–15 and 2015–16).
- A stipend is provided to cover living expenses while in school (US$28,000 for 2014–15 and 2015–16).
- A conference and travel allowance is provided for recipients to attend professional conferences or seminars (US$4,000 for 2014–15 and 2015–16).
- All recipients will be offered the opportunity to complete one salaried internship during the year following the award.
- Fellowships are awarded to recipients for two consecutive academic years only and are not available for extension.
- Applicants for the Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship Program must be nominated by their universities, and their nominations must be confirmed by the office of the chair of the eligible department. Direct applications from students are not accepted.
- Student must attend a United States or Canadian university and be enrolled in the Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Mathematics department (if your department is within the scope of these areas, but is titled differently, you are eligible).
- Students must be in their second or third year of an eligible PhD program in the fall semester or quarter of 2013. The nominating university will be asked to confirm the student’s PhD program start date (month/year).
- A maximum of three applicants per eligible department, per eligible university, will be accepted. A total of nine applications per university will be allowed.
- Payment of the fellowship awards, as described above, will be made directly to the university and is not transferable to another academic institution or department.
- The recipient must remain an active, full-time student in a PhD program over the two consecutive academic years of the award or forfeit the award.
- A recipient of a Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship may not receive another fellowship from another company or institution for the same academic period. Fellows accepting multiple fellowships will become ineligible to receive continued funding from Microsoft.
How to apply
Microsoft Research is not currently accepting applications.
PhD Fellowship application